Help!!! Crete

shumdit1

Help going to be in Crete in October from 12pm to 8 pm. Any suggestions on what to do or should we just go to town and walk around?

You can always get a taxi to take you around the island. When we were there years ago, that's what we did. But AGREE ON PRICE FIRST. He took us to Knossus, where the author or somebody associated with Zorba the Greek is buried (it's been awhile, but I can see everything quite clearly......). The second time we were there, from the ship, we walked into town and went to their market. Crete isn't as touristy as Athens is.....

Help going to be in Crete in October from 12pm to 8 pm. Any suggestions on what to do or should we just go to town and walk around?

There are at least 3 ports on Crete (a large island); which one are you stopping at?

You can always get a taxi to take you around the island. When we were there years ago, that's what we did. But AGREE ON PRICE FIRST. He took us to Knossus, where the author or somebody associated with Zorba the Greek is buried (it's been awhile, but I can see everything quite clearly......). The second time we were there, from the ship, we walked into town and went to their market. Crete isn't as touristy as Athens is.....

Your post gave me a giggle. Knossos is an ancient site, home of the Minoan civilization and possibly the place that gave rise to the myth of the Minotaur and the labyrinth. Definitely NOT the burial place of an author or of Zorba the Greek, lol! :D

From Souda (the port) to Chania (the town), the town will usually have a shuttle bus running while you are there for a minimal cost. Sometimes a ship will also have a shuttle. Chania is pleasant to walk around.

Souda is too far to consider doing Knossos (that is best done from the port of Iraklion). If your ship is there for a full day, you could consider getting to the old town of Rethimnon, which I found much more interesting to explore than Chania.

Rethimnon: http://www.explorecrete.com/crete-west/Rethymnon-old-town.html

When we stopped in Souda, I took the shuttle into Chania that Cruisemom refers to. It was very inexpensive. Maybe 3 euros or so for round trip. But that was 2 years ago. Chania is pleasant to explore on foot. There is a market house and the usual shops and cafes and a nice waterfront/small harbor area. However, after about 2 hours, I felt like I had seen all that readily available for foot exploration. I went back to the ship and relaxed there. It's a nice enough stop, but there isn't a whole lot of special things right in Souda/Chania.

There are at least 3 ports on Crete (a large island); which one are you stopping at?

Your post gave me a giggle. Knossos is an ancient site, home of the Minoan civilization and possibly the place that gave rise to the myth of the Minotaur and the labyrinth. Definitely NOT the burial place of an author or of Zorba the Greek, lol! :D

I should have injected an "AND" there. Believe me, I am well aware or Greek mythology. There's also a comma tere as well. It wasn't meant to be a run on.

From Souda (the port) to Chania (the town), the town will usually have a shuttle bus running while you are there for a minimal cost. Sometimes a ship will also have a shuttle. Chania is pleasant to walk around.

Souda is too far to consider doing Knossos (that is best done from the port of Iraklion). If your ship is there for a full day, you could consider getting to the old town of Rethimnon, which I found much more interesting to explore than Chania.

Rethimnon: http://www.explorecrete.com/crete-west/Rethymnon-old-town.html

Is there a bus that goes from either Souda or Chania to Rethymnon? Thanks.

Is there a bus that goes from either Souda or Chania to Rethymnon? Thanks.

Yes, there is a regular bus service between Chania and Rethymnon. Information (and timetables) are here:

http://bus-service-crete-ktel.com/

I didn't use it because our ship had an included excursion from Souda, but it looks like a good option with hourly departures. The trip takes about an hour.