Reservations in Main Dining Rooms - Getaway

pwppaul

Can you pre-book reservations in the main dining room ahead of time online or do you just do it when you get on the ship? Do they even allow you to make reservations in the main dining room?

Thanks

You don't make reservations in the main dining rooms. You walk up. That's the benefit and nature of freestyle cruising. The exception is if you're traveling with a large group or I guess if you complain enough. You can, however, make reservations at the specialty restaurants.

You really can't set a standing reservation in the MDR?

Correct. Some have said they did it, but that's counter to how NCL runs things. I would humbly suggest that if you want a set dining time, cruise on a line with traditional dining.

The best way to ensure that you eat dinner at the same time each night is to just go to the restaurant the same time each night.

Can you view menu's in the morning on the TV, or outside the main dining rooms??

Thank You!

--K

The menus are usually available either outside the restaurant or some other location on the ship. I don't remember if it was the Epic or Jewel where they were in a case in the atrium

Can you view menu's in the morning on the TV, or outside the main dining rooms??

At least on Epic (some, at least speciality) menus were available through TV in cabin so I'd assume that is the case with those nwer ships too.

Edited by Demonyte

You can set a standing reservation in the Main dining room if you eat at the same time at 6:00pm or earlier. At least that's what they allowed on our 12 night southern carribean in January

Edited by bjlaac

Freestyle dailies for the 2/15 and 2/22 Getaway cruises (posted elsewhere on CC) included this announcement:

Dining Reservation Options

If you'd like to dine at the same time, in the same restaurant, at the same table (alone or with others), with the same waiter each night, you can in our 3 main dining rooms, The Tropicana Room, Taste and Savor, between 5:00 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. Reserve with any main dining Restaurant Host, at the Restaurant Reservations Desk or dial 050.

Hope this helps!

Ive actually found that you indeed CAN make reservations in any of the 3 main dining rooms at any :30 past the hour. From what Ive read on here it's a new thing and only on SOME ships- but Im sailing the breakaway at the end of March and was able to make reservations every single night- 4 in the Manhattan room and 3 at Specialty restaurants.

Can you pre-book reservations in the main dining room ahead of time online or do you just do it when you get on the ship? Do they even allow you to make reservations in the main dining room?

Thanks

Hi there, not sure if you read the recent updates on this thread, which is why I chose to include your quote, if you did, please ignore :), but I sailed on The Getaway last month and yes ... NCL does in fact allow you to make reservations for the MDR's (on the ship). I agree with the first person, who responded, that it is neat to just 'go with the flow', but I do feel that it is also nice to be able to plan your evening if you want to and still eat at the MDR :D. Yay NCL!

And for those who really miss the company of other passengers at dinner, on our recent Getaway sailing I noticed there was a sign up sheet at Guest Services for those who wished to sit at a table with others. I assume this was a sign up for that particular day only, and I believe it was also for 5:30.

Looks like NCL is trying to make both traditionalists and freestylers happy.

Freestyle dailies for the 2/15 and 2/22 Getaway cruises (posted elsewhere on CC) included this announcement:

"If you'd like to dine at the same time, in the same restaurant, at the same table (alone or with others), with the same waiter each night, you can in our 3 main dining rooms, The Tropicana Room, Taste and Savor, between 5:00 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. Reserve with any main dining Restaurant Host, at the Restaurant Reservations Desk or dial 050."

The MDRs are rarely busy enough during that time frame for this to make any difference. But, if it keeps people happy, that's great. :-)

We made reservations for MDR through our concierge when in a suite on the Sun and the Dawn.

Yep, this has been pretty much always possible through the concierge on any ship but the passengers eligble for that are very limited in numbers - there is no need to mix the services of the concierge to a thread about reservations in general as most pax won't have the concierge access. :)

Yep, this has been pretty much always possible through the concierge on any ship but the passengers eligble for that are very limited in numbers - there is no need to mix the services of the concierge to a thread about reservations in general as most pax won't have the concierge access. :)

Concierge is available to non suite guests also if they are platinum so yes, it is appropriate to post here :)

Concierge is available to non suite guests also if they are platinum so yes, it is appropriate to post here :)

While that is theoretically true, actually that is not true in most cases.

There have been numerous reports here that especially on newest ships the perk is no longer even listed and even for us on older ships last year we didn't get Concierge's contact info within the Platinum envelope.

While that is theoretically true, actually that is not true in most cases.

There have been numerous reports here that especially on newest ships the perk is no longer even listed and even for us on older ships last year we didn't get Concierge's contact info within the Platinum envelope.

We had concierge service as Platinum's on the Breakaway January 5-17, 2014. Made full use of it too! Is it just missing on the Getaway???? That would make no sense! :confused:

Edited by peg013

Ive sailed 3 times on NCL. Twice with a group of 11. I was allowed to make a "day of" reservation for the MDR each day. I would reserve in the morning for that same evening. It could not be done any sooner.

My 3rd time sailing was with a group of 6. I didn't even try for a ressie as we weren't as organized and ate dinner...whenever!

Ive sailed 3 times on NCL. Twice with a group of 11. I was allowed to make a "day of" reservation for the MDR each day. I would reserve in the morning for that same evening. It could not be done any sooner.

My 3rd time sailing was with a group of 6. I didn't even try for a ressie as we weren't as organized and ate dinner...whenever!

Actually, at least on the Getaway, anyone can make a reservation in any of the MDRs. From the Freestyle Daily:

"You may make reservations for all main dining rooms on a first come, first served basis." It goes on to say that you can request same time, same table each night if you prefer, but only between 5:00 and 5:30.

Actually, at least on the Getaway, anyone can make a reservation in any of the MDRs. From the Freestyle Daily:

"You may make reservations for all main dining rooms on a first come, first served basis." It goes on to say that you can request same time, same table each night if you prefer, but only between 5:00 and 5:30.

Hmmm...good to know. We will be on the Getaway next month. Only 4 of us this time, but a ressie would be nice on Sea Days!