What to do in case of fog at the Port of Galveston

StrikeEagle

Hello everyone, I'm seeking advice from those who live near Galveston (Houston & surrounding areas) in the past drove to the Galveston port on embarkation day and experienced sea fog delay.

Our family and I next cruise will be on the Navigator of the Seas sailing on 3/16. We live in Houston and planning to start driving from our house at around 9:00 am on the morning of embarkation day. We have reservation for parking at Lighthouse Parking.

We heard of the fog may occurs this time of the year and they may have some road closure around the port. What is your advice on what to do if there is a fog delay and the ship won't come to the port on time. Should we go ahead and drive to Galveston at the planned time and may be drive around at the Sea wall street sight seeing, sitting in a restaurant etc... Or should we wait at home until the fog cleared. What the situation like around the port areas, streets etc... when there is fog delay. Are there any street closure?

We planned to look at the Galveston web cam that morning to see if the ship has came in that morning.

Thank you

Edited by StrikeEagle

First of all, no roads are ever closed when there is fog.

Harborside is the road to the terminals.

Mardi Gras will be over with this coming weekend so downtown streets will be open.

You can check the webcams (click on "Emerald cam) on Galveston.com to see if the ship is in prior to your leaving Houston.

If you come down early, allow people to disembark, go to Mosquito Café, Sunflower Bakery or Original Mexican Café - all on 14th St. or Star Drug on 23rd. for breakfast then go park and board the Navigator.

Have a great cruise.

Hello everyone, I'm seeking advice from those who live near Galveston (Houston & surrounding areas) in the past drove to the Galveston port on embarkation day and experienced sea fog delay.

Our family and I next cruise will be on the Navigator of the Seas sailing on 3/16. We live in Houston and planning to start driving from our house at around 9:00 am on the morning of embarkation day. We have reservation for parking at Lighthouse Parking.

We heard of the fog may occurs this time of the year and they may have some road closure around the port. What is your advice on what to do if there is a fog delay and the ship won't come to the port on time. Should we go ahead and drive to Galveston at the planned time and may be drive around at the Sea wall street sight seeing, sitting in a restaurant etc... Or should we wait at home until the fog cleared. What the situation like around the port areas, streets etc... when there is fog delay. Are there any street closure?

We planned to look at the Galveston web cam that morning to see if the ship has came in that morning.

Thank you

I was on the Jan 11 cruise, one of many delayed by fog.

Princess sent periodic e-mails updating Cb's status.

When the ship does clear, don't hurry to leave the house.

I received the final e-mail @ 4Pm saying Cb had finally docked,

and left my house in Alief @ 4:30. That turned out to be way too soon.

Upon arrival the line of cars started in the industrial truck parking lot. It's within sight of the terminal.

The line of cars began 4 abreast, sloooowly squeezing down to 3, 2, then 1.

It took nearly two hours to go that last lap. So near, and yet so far!!!:mad:

Be sure to reserve parking.

http://www.bayportcruiseparking.com/

We live in Houston and planning to start driving from our house at around 9:00 amOur family and I next cruise will be on the Navigator of the Seas sailing on 3/16. We live in Houston and planning to start driving from our house at around 9:00 am on the morning of embarkation day. We have reservation for parking at Lighthouse Parking.

Thank you

Just curious, you do live in Houston ? The post says seeking advice from those who live there..

Thank you very much for everyone responses.

Just curious, you do live in Houston ? The post says seeking advice from those who live there..

Yes, I do live in Houston, this is our first time cruising leaving from Galveston in March, and I'm wondering about what is the scenario like at the Galveston Port when there is a fog delay and how those who are driving from Houston to the port deals with this, either wait at home until the fog clear up or drive to the port regardless of the fog delay and face the traffic.

Just trying to see which one is a better way to go in case of fog delay.

Edited by StrikeEagle

If you live in Houston what is the big deal? I live by Katy and it only takes me 1.5hrs, tops, to make it to the island. Just check before you leave your house..depending on where in Houston you live shouldn't take you any longer that it does me to get down there. :rolleyes:

What is the typical air temp that it takes to eliminate the fog down there? We sail in mid march and have a tight flight schedule. Hoping for a warm up!

Fog occurs when the dew point and temperature are the same, plus or minus @4 degrees.

From Wikipedia:

Fog forms when the difference between temperature and dew point is generally less than 2.5 °C or 4 °F.[6]edia: