Hair Straightener Question

obnurse

Hello Girls!

I use a cheap hair straightener and I need to replace the one I've been using prior to my March 14th cruise. I have fine hair and worry about damaging it. Is it worth the extra cost to get a Chi? Sally's sells it for $100 and I have a 15% coupon right now. Of course it's ceramic and ionic. Am I risking damage by using a cheaper brand? I also have a problem with static, which the ionic iron is suppose to help. Please advise me :-)

I bought a Chi a few years ago and returned it. I didn't think it worked well at all especially for how much it cost. I'm sure as with anything else there are those who swear by it and those who it didn't work out for. I would give it a try and buy it from a store where you can return it if not satisfied.

I highly recommend the CHI also. I had a cheap one for a few years, it finally gave out and I splurged on the CHI. Best decision!! It has a wide range of temperature settings so you can choose what works best for your hair.

How do I decide which Chi to splurge on? There are so many different ones and I can't really see what the difference is beyond the size. I don't care whether it sparkles pink or looks like a zebra, lol. I care whether it works and treats my hair gently.

Jaco, which model do you have? What size is it?

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate all your opinions!

Since you have fine hair, I'd recommend getting a straightener that lets you adjust the temperature. Not sure if the Chi has this option or not.

I have the NuMe Megastar, and I looooove it. It's retail price is $200, but there are a lot of beauty gurus online that have discount codes for about $120 off. I ended up getting mine for $79.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by ClassyGame

I have a CHI too and feel it's worth the higher price - especially after having the cheap ones for years that seemed to ruin my hair! I have very thick hair and it works well for me. I bought it years ago and do not have the model type, but mine has various settings of heat (although I always put it on the highest setting).

About a week or two ago at Target, they had a CHI model on clearance (about $85 for BOTH in one package) that came with a mini travel straightener! For a minute I thought about buying another one JUST to get the mini for travel! I have no idea why they don't sell the travel size by itself - or at least I couldn't seem to find it online!

Edited by HeatherC430
forgot to mention price

Based on reviews, I bought a Remington Frizz Therapy Flat Iron instead of spending the extra money on a Chi. The Remington model heats up in 60 seconds and you can also adjust the temperature. I bought it in 2010 and have been very happy with it.

Check out the reviews on Amazon. It also got glowing reviews from Good Housekeeping: http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/product-reviews/beauty-products/hair-styling-tool-reviews/remington-flat-iron?click=main_sr

Thanks, Kellane! I am gonna check it out. I bought one at Sally's the other day. It's ionic & ceramic. Digital thermostat, quick heat up. BUT, it's 1/2" which is just too small. I like the results. My hair is shiny and smooth, but it's too small so I will definitely check out the one your recommend. I appreciate the advise!

I will preface my suggestion by saying that I have enough hair for three people... it's thick and coarse and if I don't straighten it every day, it turns into a giant ball of puff. Basically, it's a nightmare. Because of this, I've had plenty of experience in flat irons...

I go through about one flat iron every 1.5 years or so and I've owned several -- cheap, high end, and middle of the road. I learned early on that the $20 ones do NOTHING for my hair so I steer clear of those. My first high end flat iron was a CHI I received for Christmas about 6 years ago and it was great! I still have it as as back up but I don't use it regularly anymore, as after a few months of using it, my hair started getting caught in it and breaking. Then I switched to Ion, which is a middle of the road brand they sell at Sally's (avg. price of $60). I've owned two different Ion flat irons and they have both been great! I actually prefer the regular one-inch Ion iron to a CHI, as it never pulled my hair EVER. It did die after a year though but still -- for daily performance, I preferred it to the CHI. For the past 1.5 years (possibly longer), I've been using the Jilbere Nano Ceramic Flat Iron and it is EXCELLENT! It's comfortable to hold, heats up incredibly quick, has a longer cord, and doesn't pull my hair. It gets my hair so silky and straight and it stays that way all day -- probably the best flat iron I've ever had. It's $75 and is a wonderful alternative to the pricier CHI.

So, my conclusion? While CHI flat irons are great, I don't think they are worth the $120 price tag. The more I used mine, the cheaper it felt in my hand and my hair started to get caught on it which doesn't happen with other brands. It has a great reputation for a reason so don't get me wrong; I just think you can purchase the same, if not better, quality products for less money.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by iheartmarshall

iheartmarshall: Thank you for your comprehensive review! I appreciate it! I bought an Ion iron at Sally's on the weekend, but it's only 1/2 in. and that just isn't enough. I need the 1 inch. They said I could return it if I don't like it and it was on clearance for $19.99! I couldn't resist trying it, at least. I really do like the results and it's a very nice iron. My hair is silky smooth and shiny. I think after hearing your review, I'm going to trade up to the 1 inch! I don't mind paying the high price IF it's necessary. But, if I can get the same quality for less cost, I'm in!

The most important thing you should do if you're concerned about ruining your hair is to be sure to condition it properly. Find the right product for your hair and be religious about using it.;) There are all kinds of products for ladies that use all kinds of styling tools.

Edited by mousey

I agree, and I do condition every day. I'm not sure it's the RIGHT conditioner, but I use it every day. I do think since I dialed down the temp on my iron it has made a difference in my hair.

GHD for me. My hair is butt length, so a lot of it and they work brilliantly. My hair is white blonde so it's hard to have much shine without product but the GHDs do the trick.

I actually had my hair done last night and my girl had new Babyliss straighteners as she had dropped her GHD and imo it didn't look at sleek as it does with the GHD.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

I have a pink glittery chi right now, and I can say it's the best flat iron I've ever had. I had a baby bliss last year, and it emitted a smell of burning hair and plastic after a year of owning it :/ . The chi doesn't completely fry my hair either so yay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk