Need suggestions for how to schedule Florida vacation

kroberst

Hi all, DH and I will be heading to Miami for 1 day of sightseeing before jumping on the Reflection for 7 days (Sat-Sat). Upon our return, we have the option of staying again in Miami or somewhere else down the Keys. We will be meeting friends in Key West for the following 7 days (Sun-Sun).

So... any suggestions for how to negotiate this? I've found several shuttles to get to Key West from Miami but I'm wondering if a car would be desired down there during our stay (I have an image of people getting around in golf carts - don't ask me why;)). If a car is a good idea, we can rent one in Miami and drive down which then opens the possibility of staying the 2nd Sat night in one of the other keys - but which one?

Any tips/ideas for working in "2" vacations into one time frame away from the office?:D

Thank you!

K

Hi all, DH and I will be heading to Miami for 1 day of sightseeing before jumping on the Reflection for 7 days (Sat-Sat). Upon our return, we have the option of staying again in Miami or somewhere else down the Keys. We will be meeting friends in Key West for the following 7 days (Sun-Sun).

So... any suggestions for how to negotiate this? I've found several shuttles to get to Key West from Miami but I'm wondering if a car would be desired down there during our stay (I have an image of people getting around in golf carts - don't ask me why;)). If a car is a good idea, we can rent one in Miami and drive down which then opens the possibility of staying the 2nd Sat night in one of the other keys - but which one?

Any tips/ideas for working in "2" vacations into one time frame away from the office?:D

Thank you!

K

Spend the night in South Beach then the next day rent a car and take your time driving to Key West.

Dump your car off in Key West. You do not want a rental in Key West. Parking is expensive, impossible, and you can walk everywhere.

Just a few of my experiences.

First, we have done Key West a couple of times. Not familiar with the shuttles that go there, but I would highly recommend rent a car to drive (at least one way) The view driving is beautiful and it is nice to stop at the different Keys and walk around and take your time.

However, this being said. When we went last year, we decided to change it up a little. Took our time going there, stopping along the way several times. One tip, I don't know if I cared for driving the last hour in the dark, so you may want to plan a little better than we did. Just something about there being water on both sides of you, I guess thats just one of my fears though!!

On the way back, we had made arrangements to leave Key West two days ahead of flights and stay in Marathon the last two nights. Found a gorgeous resort (Tranquility Bay Resort) and paid the high price that went along with a two night stay. Well, the resort was beautiful (the beach not so much) but we ended up and only stayed the one night. Let me tell you, if you leave Key West and plan to stay somewhere else along the drive back, make sure to do your homework. We were there on a friday night and there is NOTHING going on in Marathon. Went out to eat and picked a place that was suppose to have music. Well, dinner was nice, but the music ended before we finished our meal. Then to search for somewhere else to go, just to find nothing. Even looked into going to the movies and found that Marathon doesn't have a movie theater. So back to the resort we went. And the resort is called "tranquility bay" for a reason. Nothing at all going on there on a friday night. The place seemed like a ghost town, even though we know they were booked.

So first thing Saturday morning, we checked out and headed back to Fort Lauderdale a day early. At least we knew we could find something to do there. And a bonus, we got to watch the saturday afternoon ships leave!!

While I loved taking my time driving to and from Key West and also my time in Key West, I would not stay somewhere along the way again. Just not enough to do.

Just a few of my experiences.

First, we have done Key West a couple of times. Not familiar with the shuttles that go there, but I would highly recommend rent a car to drive (at least one way) The view driving is beautiful and it is nice to stop at the different Keys and walk around and take your time.

However, this being said. When we went last year, we decided to change it up a little. Took our time going there, stopping along the way several times. One tip, I don't know if I cared for driving the last hour in the dark, so you may want to plan a little better than we did. Just something about there being water on both sides of you, I guess thats just one of my fears though!!

On the way back, we had made arrangements to leave Key West two days ahead of flights and stay in Marathon the last two nights. Found a gorgeous resort (Tranquility Bay Resort) and paid the high price that went along with a two night stay. Well, the resort was beautiful (the beach not so much) but we ended up and only stayed the one night. Let me tell you, if you leave Key West and plan to stay somewhere else along the drive back, make sure to do your homework. We were there on a friday night and there is NOTHING going on in Marathon. Went out to eat and picked a place that was suppose to have music. Well, dinner was nice, but the music ended before we finished our meal. Then to search for somewhere else to go, just to find nothing. Even looked into going to the movies and found that Marathon doesn't have a movie theater. So back to the resort we went. And the resort is called "tranquility bay" for a reason. Nothing at all going on there on a friday night. The place seemed like a ghost town, even though we know they were booked.

So first thing Saturday morning, we checked out and headed back to Fort Lauderdale a day early. At least we knew we could find something to do there. And a bonus, we got to watch the saturday afternoon ships leave!!

While I loved taking my time driving to and from Key West and also my time in Key West, I would not stay somewhere along the way again. Just not enough to do.

The rest of the keys outside of Key West are all about being outside on the water. Everyone is up and out by sunrise and in bed asleep by nine. There is a reason all the bars open up first thing in the morning.

As a huge Islamorada fan, I can empathize with your boring time in Marathon, we kind of find it boring also.