insuremytrip.com

rbuenger

I have posted this question on the Cruise Insurance board as well.....I have always booked my insurance using the cruise line offered coverage but I want to investigate options for our Greek Island crusie on Silhouette this summer....When using insuremytrip.com, the 1st thing it asks is where you are traveling to and it only lets you pick one country, so how does this work for a cruise? Should I pick the country we embark at? In this case, Italy?

I have posted this question on the Cruise Insurance board as well.....I have always booked my insurance using the cruise line offered coverage but I want to investigate options for our Greek Island crusie on Silhouette this summer....When using insuremytrip.com, the 1st thing it asks is where you are traveling to and it only lets you pick one country, so how does this work for a cruise? Should I pick the country we embark at? In this case, Italy?

I think they will tell you the country you will be 'visiting' the most, but to be sure, just give them a call - they are very helpful!

I have called insuremytrip to ask just this question. The first answer was pick the country you will be spending the most time in. So, if it is predominantly a Greek isle cruise, for example, pick Greece. You will still be covered in all the other countries you visit on the cruise. For our upcoming trans-Atlantic, I pointed out that we were spending the majority of our cruise in the Atlantic. The answer was pick the first country we hit on the cruise. And that we will be covered in all the other countries we visit during the dates of the coverage we bought, including the travel days in the USA.

I work for one of the large travel insurance providers.

Any nation on the itinerary will do. We also have "Caribbean" included as a destination. I advise people to list the nation they'll be spending most of their time in, or whatever nation is the main focus of their trip.

However, the destination nation can sometimes make a difference. Some plans are very factor-based, and one nation may be seen as a riskier destination. I once had a customer get a quote for the same trip her friend was also taking-- same plan, same price, same ages, same itinerary, but she gave me one nation and her friend gave me another. The premium almost doubled.

It may pay to look at quotes using all of the destination nations.

Thanks for the quick replys!

It looks like we have options for CSA, TravelGuard, TravelEx and John Hancock....anyone have experiences with any of these companies?

If you or a family member belong to USAA try them They have great coverage and are less expensive than the companies you mentioned

Thanks for the quick replys!

It looks like we have options for CSA, TravelGuard, TravelEx and John Hancock....anyone have experiences with any of these companies?

They are all fine. The best thing to do is either all and talk to someone there or if you are comfortable making your own decision, then look at each plan side-by-side and make a decision.

I do know that with CSA you will get pre-existing conditions waived - if that's important to you, but it comes at a price - unless you book 14-21 days after your first payment?

If you hover over the destination box long enough, a "Help" box will pop up reading:

The destination is whichever country you will be spending the most time in during your trip. If you'll be visiting several destinations equally (or spending most of it on a cruise ship) then list the country where your trip begins. You will still be covered while traveling outside of the selected country, so long as you are not visiting a destination that is considered restricted. If a policy does consider certain destinations restricted, you can find this list in the terms and conditions section.

I also had to file a claim with CSA and had a good experience. Someone mentioned their preexisting policy, that would be the LUXE policy which needs to be purchased before final payment. Just be sure to carefully read any policy you purchase to be sure it's what you need in your own situation.

I generally buy Travelex due to the competitive price and I have had claims twice. Once for a weather related delay (saved me over $1500 in airline fees since the airline didn't have reciprocity with the only airline that could get me home) and once when we had to postpone a trip for a couple of days due to a death in the family. Both times, the process was seamless and very easy.

I'm a huge advocate of trip insurance. Those 2 claims alone saved me $$$$$. More than enough to pay for premiums on all of my future vacations. Not to mention the value of peace of mind.

I have a friend who was stuck in San Juan for 6 days waiting for a flight home after her cruise in January because of the weather around the country. Luckily, she had travel insurance which covered the whole tab.

I also had a friend who had to be airlifted off a cruise by helicopter due to a urgent medical issue. She did not have travel insurance, so luckily we were still close to Miami and the coast guard picked her up, otherwise she was told if a private one had to be used the cost would be about $60,000.

I ALWAY suggest travel insurance!

I generally buy Travelex due to the competitive price and I have had claims twice. Once for a weather related delay (saved me over $1500 in airline fees since the airline didn't have reciprocity with the only airline that could get me home) and once when we had to postpone a trip for a couple of days due to a death in the family. Both times, the process was seamless and very easy.

I'm a huge advocate of trip insurance. Those 2 claims alone saved me $$$$$. More than enough to pay for premiums on all of my future vacations. Not to mention the value of peace of mind.

Amen!! We have used Travelex and their claims handling was very smooth. One must have their documentation!!! Keep all records like boarding passes, extra hotel stay billings, etc. We do all of our research through InsureMyTrip.com. It is very important to compare coverage, especially with people classified as over 65.

I got travel insurance through insuremytrip.com for our September Adriatic cruise out of Venice. When I narrowed it down it three policies I noticed two of them, in the fine print, said they did not cover Croatia. Since we will be there for several ports, I eliminated those policies. Pays to read the fine print.

I got travel insurance through insuremytrip.com for our September Adriatic cruise out of Venice. When I narrowed it down it three policies I noticed two of them, in the fine print, said they did not cover Croatia. Since we will be there for several ports, I eliminated those policies. Pays to read the fine print.

That is why I believe it is very important to use a site like insuremytrip.com so you can compare!!!! My husband is 71 and insurance really varies and, as you pointed out, coverage can very based on visited ports!

Give them a call.

That is why I believe it is very important to use a site like insuremytrip.com so you can compare!!!! My husband is 71 and insurance really varies and, as you pointed out, coverage can very based on visited ports!

Thats a good point, we do have a Dubrovnik stop, so I need to check that out!

I can't get my head around the fact that it is not permissible to discuss travel agents or tour companies on this site when you can discuss insurance companies. Seems like the same thing to me....commercial interests.

I think it's because the insurance companies don't (can't?) promote themselves. If travel agents could be named, some one could pretend to be a client and then write glowing reviews about their services to drum up business.

I can't get my head around the fact that it is not permissible to discuss travel agents or tour companies on this site when you can discuss insurance companies. Seems like the same thing to me....commercial interests.

I work for one of the large travel insurance companies. I voluntarily will not name it because I don't want to sound like I'm shilling for them. There's darn few travel insurance agents around compared to travel agents, so I don't think there's much potential for a problem in this area, but I don't want to stir up a hornet's nest. It's also a conflict of interest because Trip Advisor, who owns Cruise Critic, is affiliated with TAs and it would be awkward to have their competitors allowed to advertise on here.