Kettles in cabins?

jenny wren

We are contemplating a cruise on QM2 which will be our first with Cunard....are there kettles in the cabins?

If not and we order tea from room service does it come ready made in a tea pot or just hot water and tea bags (in my opinion not good for making a decent cuppa!)

:)

We are contemplating a cruise on QM2 which will be our first with Cunard....are there kettles in the cabins? ...
Hi jenny wren, sorry, there are no kettles in cabins. I'm not a tea drinker so cannot answer the second part of your question. However my parents, who are, used room service or the Kings Court buffet when they needed a "cuppa" first thing in the morning, with no issues at all. And they were very impressed with "Afternoon Tea" in the Queens Room on QM2. I hope this helps. :) Edited by pepperrn

We are contemplating a cruise on QM2 which will be our first with Cunard....are there kettles in the cabins?

If not and we order tea from room service does it come ready made in a tea pot or just hot water and tea bags (in my opinion not good for making a decent cuppa!)

:)

Sorry, room service provides hot water in an insulated jug and tea bags. Here is what ask.cunard.com says about bringing your own kettle:

Can I bring a kettle with me?

Hot water can be obtained on board and due to health and safety reasons we would discourage you from bringing a kettle.

If you are bringing a kettle, please make this known when boarding the ship so that the appliance can be tested.

Sorry, room service provides hot water in an insulated jug and tea bags. Here is what ask.cunard.com says about bringing your own kettle:

Can I bring a kettle with me?

Hot water can be obtained on board and due to health and safety reasons we would discourage you from bringing a kettle.

On Royal Caribbean, kettles in the rooms were banned. Elf n' safety!

Until, that is, they repositioned a ship to China, and lo and behold, kettles were installed in every cabin!

On QM2 the hot water and tea bags are separate although the water is not at boiling point by the time it reaches you. On our last QM2 trip we took a spiral plug in water heater and just heated the water to boiling. It worked fine and we will do the same again. It needs to be held in jug or cup as it is not designed to stand on its own. At least having to hold it in place there is no risk to elf 'n safety.

I don't think safety is the issue here. Many cruise lines provide a kettle and tea tray in the cabin. I have never read of any problems of safety with kettles, though irons could be not so safe.

Cunard has it's fabled White Star service. Having said that, if you like your tea properly made you will not be happy with the hot water and tea bag from room service.

David.

t is not only Cunard, I was surprised recently to read that the hotel I am booked into for an upcoming trip by Cunard does not have tea/coffee making facilities in the room clients are expected to go down into the lobby and purchase this.

I do have a small "hot pot" for making tea, but think perhaps a "coil" and collapsing cup will be a better answer for myself at the hotel.

Room service "hot water" is often mere "warm" and can smell and taste of coffee or chocolate that the pot was used for previously. I honestly cannot recommend room service on board.

Well we must have just been lucky.

Have been on four Cunard cruises now and well I must have my early morning 'cuppa' soon after I wake up. Disappointed at first not having kettle etc in cabin but soon got into the routine of ordering room service - tea for two, and sometimes cereal depending on the itinerary for the day for 7.15am.

Room Service has always been spot in timing and the water hot and not tasting of anything else!

Ready then for breakfast in Lido/Brittania 8am onwards.

Thoroughly recommended.

I was on QV in November and I had tea delivered to my cabin a couple of times and it is in a china/pottery teapot. I had breakfast delivered and that was the same. I did ask for a mug though as tea cups make it go cold too quickly. T

Kings Court has huge selection of twinings tea but no teapots.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

On Royal Caribbean, kettles in the rooms were banned. Elf n' safety!

Until, that is, they repositioned a ship to China, and lo and behold, kettles were installed in every cabin!

We've had a kettle in the cabin on every RCI cruise we've taken. As far as I'm aware the kettles are provided on all cruises from the UK because "the Brits demand it" :confused:, but how true that reason is I don't know lol.

Gill

I am about to leave on my 5th Cunard cruise 4th on QM2, my kettle from Boots is my constant companion. Cunard line do not have kettles in the cabins, you go to the Kings court and use a tea bag (Twinings) and boiling water from the urn. I have never used room service but I think from seeing trays for collection outside cabins that a teapot is used.

My daughter and I have had room service on 4 Cunard ships (she is NOT a morning person).

We always get a pot of coffee; a pot of hot chocolate; pitcher of cream. Combine all in our cups; always very hot.

I usually get toast and butter; sometimes order bacon and eggs but always too much food.

Then we are good to go until lunchtime.

sometimes my wife will order a pot of tea/coffee from room service....it is always fresh and hot. on our first cunard [qm2] cruise [day1] the wife ordered breakfast via room service......for the lIfe of me i will NEVER UNDERSTAND HOTDOGS AND BAKED BEANS WITH EGGS:eek::D

My daughter and I have had room service on 4 Cunard ships (she is NOT a morning person).

We always get a pot of coffee; a pot of hot chocolate; pitcher of cream. Combine all in our cups; always very hot.

I usually get toast and butter; sometimes order bacon and eggs but always too much food.

Then we are good to go until lunchtime.

With all that food I'd be good to go until early dining. :p

I was on QV in November and I had tea delivered to my cabin a couple of times and it is in a china/pottery teapot. I had breakfast delivered and that was the same. I did ask for a mug though as tea cups make it go cold too quickly. T

Kings Court has huge selection of twinings tea but no teapots.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

May I ask which grade of cabin you were in ? Normally I would not ask this question but I travel Britannia class and I have never had Room service tea delivered in a china teapot.

"hot water" comes in an insulated jug (these are used for coffee and chocolate as well and often the water is tainted). This "hot water" can in fact be just warm, and the resulting brew made in your cup is less than satisfactory. There are quite few breakfast items which are not available with room service in Britannia class cabins, and some are not as listed, viz "hot dogs" in place of sausages, writing of which, in the Dining room you have a choice of various sausages, but not with room service.

However food is very much personal likes and dislikes.

Hi Jimsgirl, my mistake it was a stainless steel/silver teapot :-) [ATTACH]303956[/ATTACH]

No problem. I do love my first "cuppa" , but have to wait until I get seated in MDR. and then have to wait again since I like a teapot to myself. Even worse in the Hotel it seems that you have to stand in line at a kiosk that really specializes in Coffee, so the tea is strictly barely warm and you have to PAY to get that.

I will be taking a coil and a collapsing cup. I simply must have my first "fix".

Is it me or has customer service ceased to exist? I researched a web page for the Hotel Cunard booked me into, and there is no information whatsoever on food. Simply that they have a place where you can buy food to go!!!!!!. Even on here you ask a question and often the only answer is "there are many places to eat in New York" which is utterly useless given the size and diversity of New York.