What to do at night?

nivek2002

Raphsody of the Seas, Dec 5th - the time we will be in Key West is from 3 p.m. to midnight. Im wondering what there is to do during the night? Clubs and Bars yes, but what about for those of us not into that? Thanks!

Kevin

Kevin,

Definitely take in the Sunset Celebration at Mallory Square, from 6-8pm, lots of acts to see (bring $1s to give the performers - if you like them), lots of street vendors selling handmade jewlery and paintings, henna tatoos (last 10-20 days). If you walk directly off Mallory square, there is a side street that runs along the front (the gulf is on the other side), walk across that street and you'll see Little Switzerland (high priced jewelery store) and Hogs Breath

Restaurant. Walk a little further and on the left side is a little shopping area - this is where Kinos Sandals are located - hand-made on-site for 8-12 dollars - great for gifts.

Hang a left out of Mallory Square and go one block to Duval Street. Hang a right on Duval and you've got a good hour of walking by gift shops, restaurants, bars etc.

Hang a right out of Mallory, and follow the side street around, you be on Whitehead, follow that for..say 12-15 blocks, and you'll be at Ernest Hemmingway's house/museum supposedly the #1 tourist attraction in KW. You may want to consider renting a bike.

Cabs are VERY expensive: something like 3.50 just to get in and $2 for every 1/8 of a mile. There are bicycle cabs available, at $1 a minute, per person. - so a 10 minute bike-cab ride will cost you $20. This is why I would suggest renting a bike or moped - but the moped will cost you $30 or more for 1/2 day.

If its a beach you want to see, Ft. Zachary Taylor Beach Park is closest to Mallory Square, but still a hike 30-45 minutes at a good clip.

Thats about all, clay has a lot of other options (Butterfly farm, Truman's house, Lighthouse, etc. that we didn't see) that may be enjoyable...

Hope this helps...

BAMnJAM

Carnival Imagingation '96

RCC Majesty '98

Sun Princess '00

NCL Star '04

Cruisin's not just an adventure, it's an Attitude!!

Proud member (x2) of the PPS - yeah!!

Looks like you have been given plenty of options for the day. For the evening, if you are not returning to the ship for dinner, Key West has tons of GREAT restaurants...more like a big city than a little town. If you are looking for post dinner then you could consider either a ghost tour or the Star Gazer tour. There are a number of ghost tours all of them pretty similar, you meet your guide, walk around and hear stories about the various ghosts in town. The stargazer tour goes out on the Western Union, a three ? masted ship, after you get out in the harbor, an astronmer uses slides and the really wild lazer light to point out the various constellations. I went cuz I won it and I didnt get that much out of it, but then I just enjoy looking at the stars...for a free trip it was great...if I hadve paid the thirty bucks, i probably wouldnt have enjoyed it as much. they serve wine, coffee, and key lime pie.

Let me know if you want some restaurant suggestions.

Clay - a key west local

Hi Clay,

I will be visiting Key West in August and will be there for 2 days and I could use restaurant suggestions,especially for dinner. We will be staying at the Doubletree. Thanks Debbie

debbe

Fantasy'98

Grandeur '99

Voyager '00

Explorer '01

Enchantment '02

Archived