formal night on ncl!! help!!!

La Princesa

ok...people!! I am not crazy!!!! I just got a response that there is no formal night w/ncl!!! I have cruised w/them and yes there is unless if something has changed!!!! Its not mandatory its an optional night to dress up if you like!!! Does anyone have any input in this????? I wanted to know if anyone knew what night that would be on the 5 night pearl???? thanks!!

ok...people!! I am not crazy!!!! I just got a response that there is no formal night w/ncl!!! I have cruised w/them and yes there is unless if something has changed!!!! Its not mandatory its an optional night to dress up if you like!!! Does anyone have any input in this????? I wanted to know if anyone knew what night that would be on the 5 night pearl???? thanks!!

There are no formal nights on NCL.

Everyday it's up to you. You can dress up everyday, every other day or none.

They dabbled with a dress up or not day, then there was a Norwegians night out (Pics with captain) ..

So it's every night an no nights

No you are not crazy. At least on the Jewel it is called Norwegian's Night Out, and of course like everything else, it is your choice.:D The Capt will have photo ops in the Atrium before dinner. I am not sure about the Pearl's schedule - look for posted Dailies - since none of us can use the search anymore....:mad:

The folks that said there is no dress up night probably are looking forward to the t-shirt and grubby jeans night....:rolleyes:

No you are not crazy. At least on the Jewel it is called Norwegian's Night Out, and of course like everything else, it is your choice.:D The Capt will have photo ops in the Atrium before dinner. I am not sure about the Pearl's schedule - look for posted Dailies - since none of us can use the search anymore....:mad:

The folks that said there is no dress up night probably are looking forward to the t-shirt and grubby jeans night....:rolleyes:

You can use Google to search cruise critic. In fact I think Google search works better than the in-forum software ever worked. It is very, very easy to use. Hope the tip helps.

Here are the Dailies from a recent 5 Night Pearl Cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1944145

There is no mandatory dress up night, a little roll eye icon is not necessary on this forum. NCL, after all, is the Freestyle line. They do indeed have Norwegian Night Out, although you may elect to dress up, or not, for any evening and enjoy as you see fit.

The "dressy" night will typically be one of the sea days. If you opt not to dress formally please DO still feel comfortable to dine in any restaurant of your choice.

Edited by LMaxwell

OP, As stated, NCL used to have a "dress up (or not) night. The freestyles used to say something like "Whether you dress up (or not) on board... They no longer have that.

The only mention of the new "Norwegians Night Out" in our dailies was on the first sea day.

"Norwegian's Night Out Party

Everybody's talking about the big event! Ask about the Norwegian Night Out drink specials from the friendly Bar Staff, treat yourself at one of our specialty restaurants and later join your Cruise Director's Staff on the dance floor. it's the hottest party in town. See you there. Photos with the Captain"

No mention at all about dressing up for this new themed night.

So no, there appears to be no more "formal night".

Hope that helps to clear things up.

Edited by che5904

I'm one of those that replied to OP's another thread that there is no formal night and I stand by it.

On other lines that do have formal nights, it limits where non-dressed-up people can eat on that night (if one is unwilling to dress up, they might even need to go to buffet to eat) - with NCL there is no such restriction, normal dress code applies every day.

The "Dress up or not" or "Norwegian's night out" is just a photo op and doesn't affect dining in anyway or have any other limits - hence there is no formal night on NCL like it is done on other cruise lines.

Edited by Demonyte

The "Dress up or not" or "Norwegian's night out" is just a photo op and doesn't affect dining in anyway or have any other limits - hence there is no formal night on NCL like it is done on other cruise lines.

Before my cruise, I just assumed it was just a name change.

Because in the past NCL did sort of portrait it as a dressier night. Although no, nobody was to feel obligated in any way to dress up. But many CC'ers still did refer to "dress up or not" as NCL's "formal night".

But this new "Norwegian Night out" has no mention of dress at all in the dailies.

So even if you accept the fact that on the NCL board that some people called "dress up or not night" a "formal night".

The OP is asking here, "has it been changed" and the answer to that is Yes. There is no longer a dress up or not (formal) night.

Edited by che5904

Nope, they are just stating the facts.

This is the exact wording from the freestyle daily last year on the Epic for the Norwegian Night Out:

"Tonight is the night to gather up the gang or take out that special someone. Come join us for a "stroll through the town" presenting Arts, Bars, Dining and Fun. The evening begins with the Captain's Champagne Toast, Officers Presentation, Shops, Services and festivities all through Decks 5, 6 & 7. Then dance the night away at our "Ultimate" Party at Spice H2O. The evening begins at 7:15pm and the "Ultimate"party kicks off at 10:30pm"

Absolutely nothing about dressing up.

Personally, I think this is a very good change. I always thought the Dress Up or Not night went against the spirit of freestyle. I'd rather decide for myself what nights I want to dress up that bit more (i.e. if we're going to a speciality restaurant). That seems much more freestyle to me.

Nope, they are just stating the facts.

This is the exact wording from the freestyle daily last year on the Epic for the Norwegian Night Out:

"Tonight is the night to gather up the gang or take out that special someone. Come join us for a "stroll through the town" presenting Arts, Bars, Dining and Fun. The evening begins with the Captain's Champagne Toast, Officers Presentation, Shops, Services and festivities all through Decks 5, 6 & 7. Then dance the night away at our "Ultimate" Party at Spice H2O. The evening begins at 7:15pm and the "Ultimate"party kicks off at 10:30pm"

Absolutely nothing about dressing up.

Personally, I think this is a very good change. I always thought the Dress Up or Not night went against the spirit of freestyle. I'd rather decide for myself what nights I want to dress up that bit more (i.e. if we're going to a speciality restaurant). That seems much more freestyle to me.

That's the 3rd wording I've read from the dailies to describe this new "Norwegian's Night Out". And all of them different. As a new cruiser, I would have no idea exactly what this theme night was about. How strange.

From this wording I'm envisioning a conga line or a pub hop type thing, with hundreds of passengers following like the pied piper through the ship starting maybe in the Atrium and ending up at Spice H2O. It actually makes it sound like a planned event. Yet when I look at the Pearl dailies above it states the evening starts at 5:00 PM but in the schedule at 5:00 pm it doesn't mention anything :confused:

Edited by che5904

OP, As stated, NCL used to have a "dress up (or not) night. The freestyles used to say something like "Whether you dress up (or not) on board... They no longer have that.

The only mention of the new "Norwegians Night Out" in our dailies was on the first sea day.

"Norwegian's Night Out Party

Everybody's talking about the big event! Ask about the Norwegian Night Out drink specials from the friendly Bar Staff, treat yourself at one of our specialty restaurants and later join your Cruise Director's Staff on the dance floor. it's the hottest party in town. See you there. Photos with the Captain"

No mention at all about dressing up for this new themed night.

So no, there appears to be no more "formal night".

Hope that helps to clear things up.

We just returned from the Star. There was a brief mention in the Daily each time it was dress up or not night. May not have been called that but there were the usual captain's pictures, etc. Many people dressed up and many did not. (They did enforce the "no shorts" rule in one of the main dining rooms...and did so each night.) I don't recall it ever being called formal night, at least not since we started sailing NCL in 2009.

That's the 3rd wording I've read from the dailies to describe this new "Norwegian's Night Out". And all of them different. As a new cruiser, I would have no idea exactly what this theme night was about. How strange.

From this wording I'm envisioning a conga line or a pub hop type thing, with hundreds of passengers following like the pied piper through the ship starting maybe in the Atrium and ending up at Spice H2O. It actually makes it sound like a planned event. Yet when I look at the Pearl dailies above it states the evening starts at 5:00 PM but in the schedule at 5:00 pm it doesn't mention anything :confused:

It does seem quite confusing doesn't it. Interestingly, the one thing which people seem to associate with it is dressing up, despite the fact that is one thing that is never mentioned.

I've been on three cruises since the Norwegian Night Out started, and still have no real idea what happens, other than pictures with the captain. It is very easy to ignore, but then I never even used to know what night the Dress Up or Not was, so that shows my level of interest in it.

We just returned from the Star. There was a brief mention in the Daily each time it was dress up or not night. May not have been called that but there were the usual captain's pictures, etc. Many people dressed up and many did not. (They did enforce the "no shorts" rule in one of the main dining rooms...and did so each night.) I don't recall it ever being called formal night, at least not since we started sailing NCL in 2009.

I really hate to question this and I'm not trying to be rude. But since you are a past NCL cruiser like myself. Are you sure that your Daily mentioned "dress". Or perhaps you did the same as I did. I just assumed it was a name change but was still the "dressier" night. I actually didn't even read the blurb underneath while I was on the ship until this thread came up and realized that nope, it isn't a name change but a completely different thing.

My thoughts are not really directed at any past NCL cruiser or even those that dabble in CC, that know what the old dress up or not night was.

But I find this really really confusing to the new cruiser. These write ups really make it sound like some kind of event.

We were just on the Breakaway last week. I don't recall ever seeing any mention of what night(s) was dressier than others. There were, however, a couple of nights when at least half the folks did dress nicer so I guess it was printed somewhere, but a large number were still in cruise casual, like us. We didn't really pay attention, never felt pressured to get dressed to the 9's, never felt out of place or awkward re: how we dressed.

Rest assured, I'm pretty aware and always try to follow the suggestions, but never felt the need this past trip. Funny enough, the night we did opt to get dressed beyond chinos, shirts, was the night we noticed everyone else was casual. Didn't care though. We enjoyed ourselves.

Here's what I think NCL ought to do to avoid all this confusion:

If they are trying to promote ship photography, they should stop calling "Norwegian's Night Out" and call it "Captain's Evening Out" and tell the guests in the daily, that it is "dress as you like, come as you are, and have your photo taken with the Captain".

NCL is Freestyle so I can't imagine them trying to enforce a dress code (except for shorts in MDR, Le Bistro, etc.).

I really think that NCL is making this harder for the guests and the 1st time guests get intimidated ("oh no! I did not bring any formal clothes!")...all very unnecessary.

On cl's that have "traditional dining", it has been sort of a tradition (for a 7 day cruise) that the "formal nights" occur the second night and the fifth night. This may account for some of the confusion for people who trying NCL for the first time and getting confused????

Just trying to help...

....The folks that said there is no dress up night probably are looking forward to the t-shirt and grubby jeans night....:rolleyes:

In some cases, yes

Personally, I do not see why it is so hard to wear trousers/pants and any shirt other than a T-Shirt. Why people want go out of their way to wear crappy clothes sometimes is beyond me.

I would not wear a t-shirt and shorts to Chili's and surely would not do that on a cruiseship.

okay... might as well get off the soapbox.

Not sure why you would not continue this discussion on your other post vs. starting another?

Why people want go out of their way to wear crappy clothes sometimes is beyond me.

The reason is comfort, and I don't think anyone is going out of their way to dress "crappy", they are just being comfortable on a (likely) warm weather vacation.

I said I wouldn't but I am anyway. There is no formal or informal night which would imply a lack of freedom (freestyle) So the same goes in reverse - night out / dress-up or not / whatever... - it can't be canceled without implying you must dress a certain way. Another way to say EVERYDAY is dress up or not. I personally wear dress clothes every day and then relax for dinner, so on vacation i do the opposite. Casual clothes during the day and then dress for dinner (usually). To each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

People should just wear what they feel comfortable in. If someone feels that the thought of someone in jeans/shorts or a nice t-shirt on another table when eating is not acceptable then I can suggest a whole number of other cruise lines.

The titanic age of who wears the most bling or designer outfit have long gone on Norwegian.

The dress code in NCL's restaurants are the same every night. One MDR and at least one Specialty Restaurant has a higher dress code (ie no shorts) than the rest (ie shorts allowed). There is usually a night or two that they will have more photographers out to take formal pictures. That used to be called Dress Up or Not Nights....Now it sounds like that has been changed to Norwegians Night Out. It doesn't really matter what it is called since the dress code is the same that night as any other nights. On NCL the dress code is dependant on where you go to eat, not what night you go to eat.