Filing a claim help

Angee Dale

If you didn't buy the policy through an agency, start by calling TravelGuard.

They'll e-mail you the proper claim form; this will include a basic claim form, a medical form, and a medical records release. Send the forms, ALL the requested documentation, along with any other things you think might help back up your claim, back to the agency. (If you have access to a machine, I suggest fax, as you can keep a copy of the transmittal memo as evidence they got it.)

If you are trying to get your husband's medical expenses covered, you will need to file a claim with your primary insurance before filing with TravelGuard, even if they'll immediately rejected it if, for instance, you have no international coverage. They'll want whatever Explanation of Benefits you receive...

My motto when filing a claim, especially a medical one, is to answer every question the claims examiner might have before he/she has a chance to send you a letter asking the question. There's no need just to limit yourself to just the standard claim forms. When my Dad needed an emergency bypass, causing us to cancel a cruise two weeks before departure, my claim was 27 pages, including a copy of some of my Dad's chart with the particularly juicy bits (like "because of a stent failure, an urgent bypass is suggested" circled.) Feel free to include a letter explaining each one of your attachments. If you like (and can get one), things like a letter from your primary doctor indicating no previous history of heart trouble, or no impending sign of a heart attack, etc. might be handy.

You don't need to drown the examiner in paperwork, but saving them from several back-and-forth rounds with your doctor's office can be helpful and speed your claim along.

Got a check in two weeks.

Angee Dale, I am so sorry that your DH suffered a massive heart attack. :(

I am very glad to see that you have a Travel Guard policy, and sirwired has provided great information for you. My vast experience with TG is that they are not only extremely friendly and helpful, but claims are settled fairly and quickly- including a personal claim of my own. And I am familiar with many others, having worked in the travel business.

As mentioned, if you have a TA, they should walk you through the entire process. If not, call Travel Guard's wonderful reps for assistance at each step.