Taxis touting for tourists

StanleyWho

On our east Med cruise at most ports (Greece, Italy,) there were taxis waiting and spruiking for passengers.

Can anybody tell me if this happens in French ports as we are calling in Montoir de Bretagne and also Cherbourg and just want to play it by ear. I do have plans for other ports.

I have found that some good deals can be had and sharing with people you may have only just met can become a good adventure.

Appreciate any advice

French taxis are an interesting breed. You might see a few show up at a port, and sometimes no. Now this is absolutely true. One beautiful morning DW and I were on the first tender from our ship into the port of Cannes (an area we know well). Two other couples on the tender intended to grab a taxi...but when we left the tender there was not a single taxi in sight. DW and I then started walking (our plan) along the Marina towards the train station (about a 25 min hike). As we rounded the corner of the Marina (which is getting the heart of Cannes) we stopped at a café to get some coffee. We noticed about 6 taxis parked at the café and yes, the drivers were all inside enjoying their morning café au lait, newspapers, etc.

The same thing happened to us less then 2 years ago in Le Havre. We returned to Le Havre (by train) from Rouen about 4:30 on a beautiful Saturday and walked around the side of the station to the taxi stand. But there were no taxis and a few locals waiting. We asked one of the locals how long until there would be some taxis, he shrugged and said, they are all probably having an early dinner somewhere. After waiting 15 min without a single taxi (and this is a pretty large train station) we finally laughed and walked back to our ship (nearly 2 miles away).

Hank

OMG. I can't stop laughing ! :D:D

This is so French... They are always saying that there is no work... But if they don't want too..

Ok, so how am I doing? You probably understand that this is the kind of thing that makes your country so special...and why we love to visit.

Hank:D

The French have their priorities right IMO. The lunch-hour is sacred and everything grinds to a halt for it -- which you can occasionally use to your advantage. In my experience, this is very often the best time to get quickly into popular exhibitions and cut the queues.

The French have their priorities right IMO. The lunch-hour is sacred and everything grinds to a halt for it -- which you can occasionally use to your advantage. In my experience, this is very often the best time to get quickly into popular exhibitions and cut the queues.

Maybe where you live... :confused: Not in Paris !

A lot of people don't eat during the day because they don't have the time to...

Even when you are studying ! No break during the lunch at the university... I have lessons between 11h-14h everyday without any break...

Edited by frenchrci