Please sign the petition for Carnival to bring back the reggae/calypso bands

ShanteS

Hello fellow cruise addicts! I hope everyone is having a fantastic day and staying warm (for those of us in areas with brutal weather). A fellow cruiser's post in a FB cruisers group got some of us talking about how much we miss hearing the live reggae/calypso bands on Lido deck and it brought to my attention again how many of us miss that live entertainment on Lido and how many of us would prefer it over the awfully loud music the DJ plays (which is also what he plays in the club).

Anyway, I've seen and participated in the polls here about this subject, I've seen people ask John Heald about it, and I've seen plenty of people post about it on other forums and Carnival's FB/Twitter pages and nothing is being done. So, I've decided to create a petition. I figure if they see hundreds (and hopefully eventually thousands) of signatures all in one place they'll have no choice but to make it happen.

Here's the link, please sign it and pass it along to your friends and have them sign it as well:

https://www.change.org/petitions/carnival-cruise-lines-bring-back-the-live-steel-drum-reggae-bands#

OP, it's a nice idea - trying to do something about it other than just complain about it online with the rest of us:p.

BTW, I just took my first RCI cruise last month. Live (and talented) Reggae/Calypso band on the pool deck every day. It was really nice to have that on a cruise again.;):D

I agree that the steel drums were much nicer to listen to rather than the large pool Tv that blades music to a level that is uncomfortable...but...who is gonna pay for it?

Ive seen so many threads about this and that going away...tablecloths...orchestra...dancers...steel drum...little freebie samples in the bathroom...slot tournsment entries...certain steaks....captains party...and complaints nickel and diming abound.

But...have seen just as many threads about price drops...removing tips...smuggling alcohol...mastercard/excursion promos...free cruises...stockholder credit...many discussions on how to pay as little as possible.

My take is that you cant have it both ways...both Carnival and the customer want to pay as little as possible...I don't know how the math can possibly add up. We get a lot of bang for our buck. Yet want more...at the same rates...something has to give...or you choose the line that offers what you want...and are willing to pay for.

Sure I am a stockholder...so see both sides...want the Carnival umbrella of lines to make big money...and I cruise often...and want the value Carnival offers...if I wanted more or different..the choice is there. This is a vacation option...nobody is twisting your arm. There are bigger issues to petition in my opinion...the world has bigger issues than reggae music that we should stop and consider...we are lucky.

would I pay $5 more for them to fund a band...sure...would tsure...probably most.

I can't stand those bands! So monotonous! I would sign a petition to keep them off.

I may be in a minority, I know.

I'm with you. But for different reasons.

It's very off putting sailing out of Long Beach for a Mexican Riviera cruise and hearing steel drums.

Need some good Mexican music over here.

Yeah, and we can all throw rocks in the Grand Canyon!!!:eek:

The beards will do what they want and they don't give a #%^! about what the people want... We have been trying to get the steel drums back for ages, to no avail... Hey Carnival listen up!!!:D

That very well may be the case but I'd still prefer to try rather than do nothing. Did you sign it though?

OP, it's a nice idea - trying to do something about it other than just complain about it online with the rest of us:p.

BTW, I just took my first RCI cruise last month. Live (and talented) Reggae/Calypso band on the pool deck every day. It was really nice to have that on a cruise again.;):D

Exactly. I really looked forward to hearing it on the Lido deck and now I miss it. I'm tempted to try RCI just so I can hear it again.

I'm with you. But for different reasons.

It's very off putting sailing out of Long Beach for a Mexican Riviera cruise and hearing steel drums.

Need some good Mexican music over here.

Yes. Mexican on the Riviera, and Hawaiian on the Hawaii cruises. Luckily I last sailed those two itineraries before they whacked them.

It's very nice of you to want to bring back the bands but it won't happen. This is not part of Carnival's plans right now. They seem to care more about bringing in Celebrities as a form of excursion, cutting off table clothes and sharing of appetizers in the MDR! They don't seem to listen to their customers so I doubt your petition will work :(

I agree that the steel drums were much nicer to listen to rather than the large pool Tv that blades music to a level that is uncomfortable...but...who is gonna pay for it?

Ive seen so many threads about this and that going away...tablecloths...orchestra...dancers...steel drum...little freebie samples in the bathroom...slot tournsment entries...certain steaks....captains party...and complaints nickel and diming abound.

But...have seen just as many threads about price drops...removing tips...smuggling alcohol...mastercard/excursion promos...free cruises...stockholder credit...many discussions on how to pay as little as possible.

My take is that you cant have it both ways...both Carnival and the customer want to pay as little as possible...I don't know how the math can possibly add up. We get a lot of bang for our buck. Yet want more...at the same rates...something has to give...or you choose the line that offers what you want...and are willing to pay for.

Sure I am a stockholder...so see both sides...want the Carnival umbrella of lines to make big money...and I cruise often...and want the value Carnival offers...if I wanted more or different..the choice is there. This is a vacation option...nobody is twisting your arm. There are bigger issues to petition in my opinion...the world has bigger issues than reggae music that we should stop and consider...we are lucky.

would I pay $5 more for them to fund a band...sure...would tsure...probably most.

You know what, you're right! There are plenty of other things to petition about but a couple of hours ago I decided to petition about THIS issue because so many of us who have the means to cruise want it back. And I have NO problem paying extra for it. I simply said bring the bands back. I didn't say bring the bands back for free!! Let's not make this so complicated. It's a really simple thing: either you love the idea of the bands and you sign the petition or you don't. See? Simple!! :)

I can't stand those bands! So monotonous! I would sign a petition to keep them off.

I may be in a minority, I know.

:eek: Well that makes me sad. LOL

Tried to edit that last line...was going to say that maybe serenity had a few steel band hours on certain days where you could pay $5 to enjoy...just a thought.

You can feel free to make comments at the bottom. I wouldn't have an issue with paying for it. Thanks for signing if you did!

Every time John Heald surveys his group, most respond they want it back. And does nothing. And then the same question is asked a couple of months later. And people respond they want it back. And does nothing.

Repeat.

I know!!!!!!! And it's irritating. It's like he keeps asking us hoping that the opinion of the majority has changed. LOL So I'm trying a different approach. We shall see what happens with this. I'd appreciate it if you signed it. If you've already done so thank you!

It's very nice of you to want to bring back the bands but it won't happen. This is not part of Carnival's plans right now. They seem to care more about bringing in Celebrities as a form of excursion, cutting off table clothes and sharing of appetizers in the MDR! They don't seem to listen to their customers so I doubt your petition will work :(

I know there's a good chance that it may not work but what we've tried thus far has not worked so I'm trying a different approach. We shall see what happens. And please sign the petition if you haven't already. Thanks!

Oh, please NO!!! :mad:

I cannot fathom why people want to listen to poorly performed music! Seriously. Are you all deaf?!?!? Those bands were universally awful.

Now, the salsa band on our Conquest repo cruise from San Juan was fantastic. I've said for over a decade that some good Latin music would be much preferable to the crappy Lido deck band.

I hope they never return!

Oh, please NO!!! :mad:

I cannot fathom why people want to listen to poorly performed music! Seriously. Are you all deaf?!?!? Those bands were universally awful.

Now, the salsa band on our Conquest repo cruise from San Juan was fantastic. I've said for over a decade that some good Latin music would be much preferable to the crappy Lido deck band.

I hope they never return!

That Latin Trio was exceptionally fantastic! Had the pleasure of meeting up with a few ladies that only sailed on ships that they are on.

We were on the last 6day and the repo NOLA-San Juan.

Edited by SadieN