Costa Classica Information

dwitt

My wife and I sailed on the Classica on 7/10/05. 7 days from Venice with ports of Ancona, Athens, Heraklion, Corfu Town and Dubrovnik.

Prior to the cruise I could not find any recent reviews or good infomation on the Costa Classica. This is because the cruise is predominently Italian. I believe there were 42 Americans onboard the week of our travel.(of up to 1600 guests - mostly Italians with some Spaniards, French and Germans.

Cruisers were a wide demographic group, but trended younger with many families and couples. We are non smokers and this did not present any problems for us.

You may need to adjust your expectations to enjoy this cruise. We found the food and entertainment to a notch below what we have experienced on Carnival and Royal Caribbean. For example, the buffet lacked quality and variety we are use to. The main dinner food and service were satisfactory. We had some decent pasta dishes. Seafood, so so. They had good pizza but, you had to eat the pizza in the lounge and could not take it on deck or to the cabin. (I think the idea was eat pizza and buy drinks.)

I really like the style of the ship. It's understated and comfortable. Good sized staterooms.

This was a different kind of cruise. Get used to the fact that announcements are in five languages. The only thing I can tell you about Luigi the cruise director is that he would win the speed competition for saying good evening in five languages.

We experienced some great ports and were lucky to dine with two couples who made dinnertime a lot of fun.

As always, we had a great cruise.

Thank you for your post! There is hardly any info here on the Classica but lots on the newer ships. You were thorough in your coverage. Your descriptions of the food made me feel it would be like the land tour we did of Italy. I'm glad you had a good experience. I'm leary of a cruise because I haven't had much luck with them. Maybe third time is the charm.

Archived