Room Service Tips

sassy0930

I forget, can we add tip for room service runner to the bill when it shows up or do we need to plan on getting small bills for this. We don't do a TON of room service, but we will probably have coffee/fruit/croissants on our balcony most mornings!

Also, would these employees be under the "alternative" dining for the prepaid gratuity? If they are I was thinking something like $2 ($1 per person in the cabin) a trip on top? Is that fair, or too small an amount, you think? Hard to come up with a percentage when room service is included in the fare. I don't want to be "cheap" but I also don't want to just throw money at everyone on board, ya know?

Colonel Angus does not know if you can add gratuity to the receipt for room service, but Colonel Angus does know that the room service delivery person is not included in the daily gratuity. Colonel Angus believes $2-$3 is fine for a two person order. Colonel Angus believes an additional $1-$2 for an large order is fair.

You can add it to the chit you sign. I always tipped in cash but my daughter always just adds it on the receipt. As to how much??? It is tough. Coffee and croissants for 2 in the morning we tip $3 and for two sandwiches and two desserts $4. I too would be grateful if someone could guide us on what to tip.

I'm only tipping at most $2-3. the room stewards autotip is only $11 or so a day per room and a portion of that goes to his assistant. So to tip someone more who technically only comes up a few flight of stairs to bring me a sandwich.. and doesn't even make it...just seems unfair.

I'm only tipping at most $2-3. the room stewards autotip is only $11 or so a day per room and a portion of that goes to his assistant. So to tip someone more who technically only comes up a few flight of stairs to bring me a sandwich.. and doesn't even make it...just seems unfair.

"Only comes up a FEW flights of stairs"? Most cabins are not directly over a food prep area:( Even if I was in proximity and the runner needed to climb stairs, I'd gladly tip just for that so I wouldn't have to.

It's $11.50 and is spread among more people than the cabin steward.

The total amount is $11.50 per guest, per day as follows(our recommended guideline effective voyages departing December 1, 2011 and onward):

$ 3.70 USD - Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.80 USD - Per Day Dining Services

$ 2.00 USD - Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to kitchen, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members.

And, the ships have elevators. I'm quite sure that the person that delivers room service takes the elevators instead of the stairs.

I forget, can we add tip for room service runner to the bill when it shows up or do we need to plan on getting small bills for this. We don't do a TON of room service, but we will probably have coffee/fruit/croissants on our balcony most mornings!

Also, would these employees be under the "alternative" dining for the prepaid gratuity? If they are I was thinking something like $2 ($1 per person in the cabin) a trip on top? Is that fair, or too small an amount, you think? Hard to come up with a percentage when room service is included in the fare. I don't want to be "cheap" but I also don't want to just throw money at everyone on board, ya know?

Yes, you can put the tip right on the paper you sign when they deliver. Some do say the tip COULD be included in alternative dining, but Carnival has refused to answer the question directly.

As far as how much, a tip for a 90 minute served 3 course dinner is just under $2 per person for a three man time, so a fraction of that is what is deserved for room service. Of course, that's your choice.