Bioluminescence bay kayak tour

kona_wahine

We have debated doing one of these during both visits, but in the end have decided not to. The success of the trip seems to depend on so many factors. The moon stage will impact how much you see; even a half-moon can be too much light. I would not be thrilled about needing a tarp over my head to see a little glow. Many people remark on the crowds and it sounds like a dangerous situation. We are experienced kayakers, but would not like to be jammed in unfamiliar waters in the dark,

That being said, many love the tour. You may want to read some reviews to help make up your own mind.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g612474-d1634272-Reviews-Bioluminescent_Bay-Fajardo_Puerto_Rico.html

Actually, if you are experienced kayakers you will most likely be paddling ahead of the novices, and they won't jam up with you at all.

Check the Moon Phase Calendar for best dates, and don't worry about the tarp thing if you have a good night. You can know in advance based on your excursion date.

And the cruise ship excursions will all be on the first-in kayak tours- which means you start out when it is still light. I like this better anyway.

You kayak across a very small open bay, then into a path through the mangroves. You are going against the current on your way in. You can still see birds and iguanas as you enter the mangrove path. It's about 3-4 kayaks wide, and novice kayakers who can't paddle well do end up steered into the mangroves until they get the hang of things. Your kayaks have little lights on the fronts and backs.

There are several tour operators that run trips to the bay at Fajardo. They all have assigned times, and do about 2 runs per night.

As you get farther into the pathway through the mangroves, it will get darker, and your eyes will be adjusting to the change in light and you will start to see some of the luminescence. When you get into the bio bay it is just magical. Don't bother with a camera, the pics won't come out.

The water in the bay is shallow. You are required to wear a life vest. The skill required is barely moderate at best. I had my parents along in a second kayak and they are not athletic by any stretch of the imagination and they were fine.

You paddle around in the luminescent water for a bit, then paddle back out in a line. You can put your hands in the water, but must stay in the kayak. There are always guides nearby. You will likely pass another group going the other direction as you back. When you get back, it will be dark.

This tour is beyond cool, it is absolutely magical. The guides always seemed concerned about safety. Most people on our tour I don't think had ever been in a kayak before, or ever touched any kind of oar/paddle/thing that can propel you through water, and although many of them were unbelievably clumsy, everyone had a good, safe time, no one thought it was crowded (the bioluminescent bay is quite large), and I would highly recommend this tour.

There are 2 people in each kayak. If you are a solo novice, you will potentially end up in a kayak with a guide and not have to do any work at all-those guides are STRONG!

If you are thinking that you will be on a private tour and be the only people in the bay at any time- that is not going to happen. If you think that multiple tour groups going through the bay at staggered times is going to be too crowded, well, then for you it probably is. But you shouldn't let that stop you! Go! You can only do this in a very few places in the entire world!

Thank you for such detailed responses!! First thing I checked was the moon phase and we will be there 3 days after a new moon, so a pretty good time to go. I had never heard of this phenomenon before so really want to experience it.

Go, go, go! We did it through Carnival a few years back and in 15 cruises it ranks in the top 3 excursions I've ever done! It truly was magical! I would love to do it again someday! We were not experienced kayakers so it was comical trying to get the hang of rowing and keeping it straight. We hit the mangrove bank a few times but it was all great fun! There's only a few places in the world that have these bioluminescent bays so why not go and check it out. Absolutely loved this excursion!!!!

Has anyone done this is the past month or two? I've read several reviews - both of Fajardo and Vieques - and many of them say the luminescence is dull at best - ambient light/pollution/development are really effecting the bays. Have also seen several articles that state same.

With so many things to do and see would hate to waste a night and be disappointed - so anyone been their lately?

Sue

Has anyone done this is the past month or two? I've read several reviews - both of Fajardo and Vieques - and many of them say the luminescence is dull at best - ambient light/pollution/development are really effecting the bays. Have also seen several articles that state same.

With so many things to do and see would hate to waste a night and be disappointed - so anyone been their lately?

Sue

I was there six weeks ago.

There is some light pollution in the area, and it will get worse, but it's not as bad as in urban areas in the US. The effect is enhanced when clouds reflect the pollution back down into the bay. It was cloudy when I went, so the bioluminescence was visible on the shadowed side of the kayak, but considerably diminished on the landward side. The guide said a clear night would have been better (there was no moon).

The mangroves form a natural tunnel which makes it quite dark. If anyone has seen the Milky Way (because of light pollution, most people haven't), I would compare the luminescence in the bay to a naked-eye view of that. In the mangroves the glow is a brighter white, like looking at the Milky Way through binoculars.

You need to move something through the water to create the glow - the movement oxygenates the microorganisms, causing a chemical reaction similar to the firefly's glow (the firefly can control it, the bay organisms can't).

I would not call the trip especially dangerous. It's incredible how uncoordinated some people are, but the worst that happens is a plastic paddle clunking against a plastic boat. The water in the channel is a couple of feet deep.

which tour companys do ya'll recommend going with for the bio bay tour?

we will be in PR for 2 nights prior to our cruise and I really really really want to see the bio bay

If you have the time, I would go over to Vieques to see the bio-bay there. Less people in tours, less light pollution, and when we were there, they were very bright.

On top of that, the two tours we did, you get to swim in it! Which is REALLY COOL!!!! Dive in, and there's a glow around you. Well, not to get your hopes up too much- last time we were there was some time ago.

But it was really cool.

Does anyone know if the bay is back? It went nearly dark in November (and in 2003) -- lots of articles from reputable sources -- but I cannot find if it has returned to its normal luminescence. Fingers point to a waste water treatment plant run off. I booked a cruise a couple of years ago specifically to do the bay, but the excursion was cancelled because of wind (not that I could detect any). I really do not want to book another cruise for this excursion if it is going to be a big disappointment.