Haven Upgrade Possibilities

MRBOOKEND

For my first cruise since 1985, I have booked a Haven cabin on the Epic.

But knowing that I am a frugal person typically (not cheap but looking for value for money spent), I was wondering what are the chances that if I booked a cheaper cabin, I might be offered an upgrade to the Haven that could save me considerably compared to booking the Haven directly.

Is there a hierarchy for how upgrades are offered such as to frequent travelers on the cruise line first followed by us newbies.

How much would an upgrade cost to Haven from a balcony or mini-suite?

Would using a TA vs NCL help secure an upgrade?

Assuming that upgrades are offered on cruises that are undercapacity, what's best way to figure out which cruises are typically not fully booked?

Thanks in advance for your advice....

Your chances are slim. Better than the lottery of course, but still very slim.

If you can find the number of non-suite/haven cabins and compare to number of mini-suites and balcony cabins...you will see that mathmatically the odds are very low. Even if non of the suites are booked. Simple numbers.

We have never been offered an upsell. We have PAID for an upgrade at regular prices, but never an upsell deal.

I have seen stories of first time cruise and long time cruisers getting the upsell call. No sense in who gets the call. Have seen it direct from NCL and via the travel agent.

We are fairly frugal ourselves. We had originally booked a regular balcony cabin. I always watch for price drops so when I noticed a drop in the price of a Spa Balcony to a point it would be less expensive to get that cabin than the regular and purchase spa passes for the week (we love the spa) I upgraded to that cabin. Well, watching for price drops again saw the price of a Haven Spa Suite drop over $1000 over 3 weeks. It finally ended up at $1699 pp (for our sailing in June on Getaway) with a $300 obc :eek:. About $200 more than the Spa Balcony cabin. I waited about 5 days to see if it would go down any more, it didn't so we booked that cabin. Sometimes you need to do some homework and it pays off. Good luck. :D

Here is an option. Check the prices about a month prior to sailing and then a few weeks before sailing. If there are still suites available, they will go down in price. Then you can call your TA or PCC to upgrade that way. Many sailings are full and the Haven sells out fast so this may not work. But I have seen cruises on Epic (that has a huge number of suites) where several Haven suite prices were cut by $600 close to sailing. You may not get the deal of a lifetime but can score a reasonable discount. If you wait for someone to call you and offer you a tremendous discount on a Haven suite - that person is called the upgrade fairy. I have never experienced her but several here have ;)

Edited by david_sobe

Haven Spa Suite drop over $1000 over 3 weeks. It finally ended up at $1699 pp

Great Price. Thanks so much to everyone. Will definitely try some of these tactics on next trip.

The two of us are booked in an Epic 2 BR Haven, so not much room or need for an upgrade this time, but we are still over 200 days out and booked directly with NCL so may still be some time for some maneuvering.

Any advice how to wrangle a better price on this one is always appreciated.

Edited by MRBOOKEND

The two of us are booked in an Epic 2 BR Haven, so not much room or need for an upgrade this time, but we are still over 200 days out and booked directly with NCL so may still be some time for some maneuvering.

Any advice how to wrangle a better price on this one is always appreciated.

My advice is to find a good TA. We always get better prices through a TA and we also get a slice of their commission as OBC so the total is usually at least couple of hundred dollars less than by booking directly with NCL. Regarding price drops, paid upgrades etc there is no difference on who handles the booking, a good TA will negotiate the same deals with NCL as you would calling them direct.

Edited by Demonyte

My advice is to find a good TA.

Thanks for the advice. I researched most of the online TA's talked about here on CC, then called the lowest priced one. They beat the Gross Total on the NCL guest confirmation by $168 but were $100 less on the OBC offered.

So for a net $68 would you switch to the TA's offer?

Thanks for the advice. I researched most of the online TA's talked about here on CC, then called the lowest priced one. They beat the Gross Total on the NCL guest confirmation by $168 but were $100 less on the OBC offered.

So for a net $68 would you switch to the TA's offer?

Personally, for that differential I would not. To me it is worth it to have control of my reservation and be able to call NCL directly if I choose to. That said, I have a TA who I like, and who I think has done well for me, so I will likely continue to use her and give up some of that control But I don't think I would do it for a small differential from a large online TA with whom I have no history.

Personally, for that differential I would not. $68

I tend to agree with Garnet's thought. I probably will stay booked with NCL directly unless the difference becomes much more. Plus I'm still more than 200 days til cruise, so have some time to see what happens.

Thanks all...

Edited by MRBOOKEND