Did You/Can You get VPP on a free cruise?

IMKTDQT810

We know someone who got the "free offer" but they currently have an ill family member. They want to book (and can really enjoy the financial freedom from paying full price for a much needed cruise) but can they get the Vacation Protection for it "IF" they need to head home early from the cruise, even though they only paid the taxes and fees.

I thought it was a good question and wondered if anyone did this for their free cruise? What if they need to cancel the free cruise prior to sail date and have PPV...can they re-book another free cruise in the future?

Just thought I would throw it out there. Thanks!!

We know someone who got the "free offer" but they currently have an ill family member. They want to book (and can really enjoy the financial freedom from paying full price for a much needed cruise) but can they get the Vacation Protection for it "IF" they need to head home early from the cruise, even though they only paid the taxes and fees.

I thought it was a good question and wondered if anyone did this for their free cruise? What if they need to cancel the free cruise prior to sail date and have PPV...can they re-book another free cruise in the future?

I have no clue. I would think no, since they didn't pay for it; just taxes & grats.

Maybe they should get insurance in the event they have to disembark sponer than scheduled.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forums mobile app

You have to use that within the first 24 or 48 hours I believe. And isn't if you're dissatisfied with the cruise to the point where you just want off? I don't think you can go tell them a family member is sick so fly me back home at the next port after you've paid just the taxes and port charges.

I was lucky and received the VIFPN letter offering a free cruise for an inside cabin. Since we just did a big Christmas cruise, my husband and I chose an inside cabin for our free cruise. We only had to pay port charges and taxes. Now we are wondering how do we insure the trip? For the Christmas cruise, we purchased insurance through AAA, based on the amount spent. So far for the new cruise booked we've spent about $850 for everything. Should we do the Carnival protection plan?

I do not believe the vacation protection will cover if they have to leave due to a sick family member. And since all they are paying are port fees and taxes, it won't be refunded to them. They definitely should get insurance on the cruise if they think for even a second they may have to cancel. If they do not and they have to cancel or are no shows they will be responsible for paying whatever the cruise price is at the time of sailing for whatever room they've booked. The insurance is based on cruise price but for the free cruise I was quoted $49 pp.

Compared to other travel insurance policies, Carnivals Vacation protection lacks in comparison. Go to w w w . insuremytrip . com to compare many different policies and pick the best one that fits your needs, it's cheaper than Carnival too. I personally love travelguard policies.

If you call an outside insurer like mentioned above, you can tell them that you got the trip for free, and they'll tell you what your options are. I'm pretty sure if you just fill it out online you can fill it out with just the amount you paid for port fees and taxes. Just because you paid almost nothing doesn't mean you can't still insure yourself for illness/accidents and other emergencies.

Compared to other travel insurance policies, Carnivals Vacation protection lacks in comparison. Go to w w w . insuremytrip . com to compare many different policies and pick the best one that fits your needs, it's cheaper than Carnival too. I personally love travelguard policies.

I'm thinking the OP is referring to the vacation protection carnival has available if you are unsatisfied with your trip and wish to get off the boat at the next port. Not vacation insurance protection, which is totally different. And to which I agree is overpriced through Carnival. Better policies are definitely found using insuremytrip dot com.

I apologize for any confusion. I DID in fact mean the insurance, not the one that if you are not happy with the cruise....etc.

Since they are offered the free cruise and only paying the fee and port charges they were not so much concerned with that cost (about 500?) but if they need to fly home b/c of the ill family member. To make things easier, it's an elderly mother of a traveler who is having some major health issues. She wants them to cruise and enjoy a free vacation and has even secured someone to pay and stay with her while the couple is gone (they all live together). So the couple is really on the fence in booking the free cruise "incase" something bad happens while they are gone (only her death would bring them home). Would a third party insurance even cover those expenses? I guess I will forward over the link to that third party insurance site and see if it puts their mind at ease.

Thanks everyone for the info!!

I apologize for any confusion. I DID in fact mean the insurance, not the one that if you are not happy with the cruise....etc.

Since they are offered the free cruise and only paying the fee and port charges they were not so much concerned with that cost (about 500?) but if they need to fly home b/c of the ill family member. To make things easier, it's an elderly mother of a traveler who is having some major health issues. She wants them to cruise and enjoy a free vacation and has even secured someone to pay and stay with her while the couple is gone (they all live together). So the couple is really on the fence in booking the free cruise "incase" something bad happens while they are gone (only her death would bring them home). Would a third party insurance even cover those expenses? I guess I will forward over the link to that third party insurance site and see if it puts their mind at ease.

Yes, most travel insurance policies would cover the cost for them to get home if the worse were to happen because she's an immediate family member. They'd pay for everything, file a claim, and then be reimbursed. They'd want to make sure that's apart of the coverage though before they choose one to buy because there really are a lot of options on insuremytrip . com

I went to the 3rd party site for myself (we leave in May) and was looking into the trip interruption for my friend. Sounds like a good deal but a few mentioned that it needed to be purchased around the time the cruise is booked. I'm just looking for overall coverage and booked back in Jan....so not sure we could do that for us.

When you purchase third party insurance, do you include the cost of your excursions? Or just the cost of the cruise itself?

I include prepaid excursions, airfare, & hotel costs.

I went to the 3rd party site for myself (we leave in May) and was looking into the trip interruption for my friend. Sounds like a good deal but a few mentioned that it needed to be purchased around the time the cruise is booked. I'm just looking for overall coverage and booked back in Jan....so not sure we could do that for us.

Everg policy is different. ..15 - 30 days within initial deposit. If you buy it outside of that window for your particular policy, pre existing medical issues aren't covered.

You can always call & ask. Most plans give you 10 - 15 days to review & cancel the policy with no penalty.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forums mobile app

• 5 weeks later...
When you purchase third party insurance, do you include the cost of your excursions? Or just the cost of the cruise itself?

Only include the cost of "NON-refundable" expenses.

Port fees and Taxes do not fall in this class and most shore excursions don't either.

Reason for this is that insurance only pays what was not refundable. Even if your trip is Interupted (cut short) the taxes and fees are pro-rated back to you.

Also if you leave home the day before the cruise sails, include that in your policy dates.

Edited by BigDfromTN

I booked a cruise for a couple that received the "free cruise" and they purchased the VPP. Apparently with the free cruise offer, if you decide to cancel the cruise after the final payment date, you would actually be charged the full cruise fare and be responsible for paying the regular fun saver fare.

I buy the CSA Custom Luxe plan.

That one covers Pre-existing conditions as long as policy is purchased with in 24 hrs of final payment. the best deal for me... https://www.csatravelpro.com/20140307

I got the free cabin and talked to a PVP about insurance. If for some reason I didn't show up we would be charged the full amount of what the cruise fare would of been.For us that came out to almost $1,800 .

I called my TA to ask about insurance and he said in this case I should by insurance from Carnival. He's totally against buying the cruise lines insurance except for something like this. So be aware people .

Cost was $49.00 pp

When buying insurance from an outside company can you insure your trip for more then you paid?

If you took the free cabin and only paid for the taxes and port fees let's say $200.00 can you insure the trip for what the regular fare price would of been .

I'm thinking not and think that's why you would want to but the ships insurance.

If you make a claim wouldn't you have to show proof of how much the trip cost you.

When buying insurance from an outside company can you insure your trip for more then you paid?

Yes you can. BUT there is no need as they only remimburse for actual loss subject to that as the maximum they will pay

If you took the free cabin and only paid for the taxes and port fees let's say $200.00 can you insure the trip for what the regular fare price would of been .

If above is correct about being charged for not showing up. I would say you should insure it for the value it would have been.

I'm thinking not and think that's why you would want to but the ships insurance.

If you make a claim wouldn't you have to show proof of how much the trip cost you.

Yes you do. They ask for not only invoices but also actual proof that you paid the money out. IE: credit card statements.

This is a very interesting subject. I like travel agent above don't normally suggest buying from the line. Others will give you higher medical cover at less cost as a rule.

they will need to obtain a policy that has a pre existing condition waiver, the look back & purchase-by period varies

best bet is to contact a broker (insuremytrip) for help selecting appropriate policy.

I cancelled an existing cruise reservation to book my upcoming 'free' one with CCL. Had TI purchased thru a company I had used in the past via insuremytrip. I was just going to 'flip it' but when I called them, it turned out that particular insurance company wouldn't cover this sort of payment arrangement.:mad: I was told there were less than a handful that would. Wound up buying Travel Insured-Worldwide Trip Protector plan.

We need the pre-existing condition waiver for my mother who lives in a MIL apt I built onto my house. CCL's $49 insurance wouldn't cover her.

We had to contact CCL to obtain the 'cash' price of the cruise the day we booked and that amount was used to factor in the total policy coverage. They have the ability to go back and pull up the cruise price for any day. You need to include all travel components (airfare, hotel, anything you cannot cancel and receive a full refund) into the total amount of the policy you purchase.

This is a very interesting subject. I like travel agent above don't normally suggest buying from the line. Others will give you higher medical cover at less cost as a rule.

This is what my TA had me purchase the ships insurance. I'm thinking other think you can just cover your butt by buying it somewhere else and I didn't think the info was right. You can only claim what you paid when taking out the policy and since you paid the much lesser amount your not going to be covered if your a no show for the cruise....it's coming out of your own pocket.

This is what my TA had me purchase the ships insurance. I'm thinking other think you can just cover your butt by buying it somewhere else and I didn't think the info was right. You can only claim what you paid when taking out the policy and since you paid the much lesser amount your not going to be covered if your a no show for the cruise....it's coming out of your own pocket.

I think I will check on this further... As I see it.

Since IF you cancel you have to repay that amount. I think they should cover it. You would likely have to pay it and then file for reimbursement. That way you show the payment (Loss) and that sets the amount of the claim. Assuming it is a covered reason for cancel.