Tenerife taxi cost

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know the exact price but know that it will be around the 120 euros mark (and possibly more) each way. If you still need the information, I can check with the taxi rank outside our complex (I'm in las Americas at the moment).

I wonder whether you'd consider using a private tour guide instead if you are wanting to see something of the south of the island? We used ODITEN (one day in tenerife) which is run by Felix and we were very happy with both the tour and his service. He will take you to wherever you want to go and is well used to dealling with cruise ship passengers. There were 3 of us and we shared a total cost of 175 euros for the day in a comfortable minibus type vehicle. He can accommodate 7 people I think but charges a little more. Great reviews on Trip advisor as well.

You can easily take a bus from Santa Cruz to Playa Las Americas. I'm not sure what a taxi will be, but certainly not 120 Euros as taxis are reasonably priced in the Canary Islands. However, why do you want to visit Playa de las Americas, one of the ugliest areas of Tenerife? There is nothing there except a modern resort of hotels, bars and restaurants. The northern part of Tenerife is what you need to visit, which is so beautiful. The jewel in the crown is Mount Teide.

OK, Then depending where the whale watching leaves from it is probably easier to take a bus, although if there are 4 people a taxi may be more convenient. Put your question on the Tenerife Forum on Tripadvisor as there are a few local resident contributors who will be able to give you the correct answer with costs of buses and taxis.

According to the official fares displayed on the taxi rank here (today), the fare from Santa Cruz to Las Americas is 100 euros one way. I'm told that the end fare may be slightly more depending on the exact start and end points.

The bus fare (using a bono card which can be purchased at the bus station) from Santa Cruz to Las Americas is 13 euros one way. The journey takes approx either 1hr 15 mins or 1hr 30 mins depending on the bus route you use. You may also need to take a taxi from the port up to the bus station to reduce the overall journey time.

Do you know where the excursion starts from? Many of the whale and dolphin watching excursions go from Los Gigantes which is further away from Santa Cruz than Las Americas.

Car hire and petrol are cheap in Tenerife. There are two companies with offices at the cruise terminal, CICAR and Hertz. CICAR is a Canarian company with a good reputation and has been around for years. If you hire a car and have time, you may be able to see something else of the island, which is worthwhile. Not too far from Santa Cruz you could go to La Laguna, Tacoronte, La Oratava, or Puerto de la Cruz, but would all depend on your time constrictions.

Consider just renting a small car from CICAR. It will cost you no more then 60 Euros for the day. Driving on the island is quite easy (especially if you have a GPS) and a lot cheaper then using a taxi.

Hank

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Car hire and petrol are cheap in Tenerife. There are two companies with offices at the cruise terminal, CICAR and Hertz. CICAR is a Canarian company with a good reputation and has been around for years. If you hire a car and have time, you may be able to see something else of the island, which is worthwhile. Not too far from Santa Cruz you could go to La Laguna, Tacoronte, La Oratava, or Puerto de la Cruz, but would all depend on your time constrictions.

Our TA is stopping in La Palma and Tenerife, one of the trips they have is a drop off in Puerto de la Cruz. I see you suggested that as a stop, can you tell me a little about it? Is there enough to keep busy walking around for a few hours? We have been to Tenerife before and did the tour of MT Tiede.

Mike

Edited by Motorman23

Motorman

Puerto de la Cruz is a Canarian town with a nice seafront promenade and a pleasant plaza, Plaza del Charco lined with bars and restaurants. Many of the old buildings are in the Colonial Canarian style with wooden balconies as you would see these days in South America.

it is a pretty town and you could easily spend a couple of hours just walking around and stopping for a coffee or beer. One of the highlights of Puerto de la Cruz is Loro Parque, which was originally a parrot park, but over the years has extended to sea life, research and conservation.

If you have already visited Mount Teide, then Puerto is a good alternative, although you can take the tram from Santa de la Cruz to La Laguna. It is also a pleasant town to visit and is home to the island's university.

Motorman

Puerto de la Cruz is a Canarian town with a nice seafront promenade and a pleasant plaza, Plaza del Charco lined with bars and restaurants. Many of the old buildings are in the Colonial Canarian style with wooden balconies as you would see these days in South America.

it is a pretty town and you could easily spend a couple of hours just walking around and stopping for a coffee or beer. One of the highlights of Puerto de la Cruz is Loro Parque, which was originally a parrot park, but over the years has extended to sea life, research and conservation.

If you have already visited Mount Teide, then Puerto is a good alternative, although you can take the tram from Santa de la Cruz to La Laguna. It is also a pleasant town to visit and is home to the island's university.

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD