Atmosphere onboard royal caribbean

I am researching a mother / daughter cruise for 2015 and I was wondering what the atmosphere is like on royal caribbean is like compared to norwegian ( which I've sailed on) and celebrity ( that I'm also considering)? I understand there is a formal night and traditional dining seating versus " freestyle" that I'm use to. I'm wondering more of the vibe onboard, upbeat or subdued? How does entertainment compare? Also regarding formal night, can we avoid it by eating in the buffet or in our room or is it enforced in all public areas? Dressing up is NOT our idea of fun, so just asking :p. Looking forward to any input :D

A lot depends on the ship, itinerary , and time of year.

You didn't say are you looking for quiet relaxing or more of party time. You also didn't say is this a young daughter, college or mature. That's makes a difference on itinerary also.

My favorite cruises have been on Royal and Celebrity. And yes they do offer MTD which means you can dine when you want .

As far as formal both cruise lines have options if you prefer not to dress up.

I don't think you will be disappointed with Royal or Celebrity

It depends on what ship you are looking at. All ships have MTD options in addition to traditional dining times. You can book each night or just show up whenever. The Oasis class ships entertainment is definitely a WOW. The Freedom class has parades that are a lot of fun. You can find areas on any of the ships that are subdued, I like the outdoor movies at night they are a perfect way to relax. If you are looking at a small ship like the Majesty, it is much more subdued, with less bells and whistles. Also you are not required to dress for formal nights, many do not. The seven night cruises have two formal nights, are you looking at a shorter cruise? If you tell what ships you are looking at we may be able to give you more information, each class has a different feel.

My mother will be 72, my sister will be 48 and I will be 31 at the time of our cruise. We are considering a 7 day cruise to either caribbean (possibly southern itinerary) or Mexico, we haven't decided on which itinerary yet, so hard to ask about specific ships. I was considering an oasis class ship, but was thinking it might be a little much for my mom because she has ovarian cancer, which is currently being controlled, so she can sometimes tire easily. Thanks everybody for the I out so far though :D

We have been on many different cruise lines and my feeling is that there is way more in common among cruise lines than differences. Unless you are looking for something specific that Royal doesn't have, I think you will love Royal Caribbean, and you will be surprised at how similar it is to what you already know. :)

What I like about Royal is the ocean-like colors and peaceful decor. I love how the ships are designed for easy travel all around the ship. I also love how relaxed the crew is, very pleasant and helpful.

Hi...sorry about your mom...I wish her well. If she is willing to cruise then she sounds like she is up for a very special time with "her girls". It can be as busy or as quiet as she wants.. I've been on quite a few and my thing is the pool deck -if the sun is shining I am happy. And I know that's not for everyone. RCI has a nice selection of activities for all to enjoy. And sometimes it's nice to just sit and red a book/mag in the solarium without the noise. I have only been on RCI & NCL and have never found myself "bored" or looking for something to to do. But that's just me. Go. Enjoy the cruise and take lots of pix.