Would Carnival do this?

KPfromCT

If I were the targeted person in this scenario, I would be more than just a little irritated and annoyed being asked more than once to switch cabins just because you and your friends are poor planners. And yes OP, you did imply that anyone who would not switch cabins was "not nice". Why don't you and your friends just go on your cruise, have fun and quit trying to concoct schemes to hassle other people. It's all very intrusive.

Thank you for your opinion. Have a nice life. :D

Good that it did work out for you, however what if you or your cabin-mate needed to be in that cabin due to mobility issues (non-HC), battling to walk longer distances (and the upgrade was a longer walk to amenities), OR the new cabin was closer to the front of the ship and you suffer from sea-sickness. Just moving you is risky in its own right.

This happens all the time with upgrades. Up to now, this was the only upgrade we have ever received. Have heard that people have received upgrades that they did not consider to be an upgrade. So, if you really like your location, I have heard that you need to indicate no upgrades in your booking, otherwise the cruise line can move you.

I'm not saying it's to accommodate someone else but because the cruise line thinks they are giving You an upgrade. A perk!

Edited by mississauga

I would have no trouble being asked. :)

Seems that more people would have no issue being asked, while some would be offended. Understandable. Everyone has different opinions on everything. Lol. It's all good. :D

Thank you for your opinion. Have a nice life. :D

Wishing you luck in your quest....but you are not being very nice to people that had disagreed with your actions.

Seems that more people would have no issue being asked, while some would be offended. Understandable. Everyone has different opinions on everything. Lol. It's all good. :D

I wouldn't mind being asked but CCL would need to make it worth my while. More than a gift shop cake or $15-25 OBC

I wouldn't mind being asked but CCL would need to make it worth my while. More than a gift shop cake or $15-25 OBC

That wouldn't come from Carnival. That would come from me.:D:D

And I am FINE with that......:D

Wishing you luck in your quest....but you are not being very nice to people that had disagreed with your actions.

Thank you for the well wishes:D:D

It's kind of hard to be "nice" to people, when they call you selfish, a poor planner, entitled, etc.

I don't feel like I am ANY of those. I am NOT that person.

It was a simple question. Other people have had the same experience, so clearly I am not the first to ask this question.

Thanks again.

Thank you for the well wishes:D:D

It's kind of hard to be "nice" to people, when they call you selfish, a poor planner, entitled, etc.

I don't feel like I am ANY of those. I am NOT that person.

It was a simple question. Other people have had the same experience, so clearly I am not the first to ask this question.

Thanks again.

I have no issues with you asking on this website; it's a legitimately framed question that you're seeking input on. However, given your responses to those that would not be comfortable with being asked, for a variety of reasons, I'd have sort of a sour taste in my mouth if I was the one asked to move and said no, like somehow my neighbors wouldn't do anything wrong, but may be yelling across balconies, conversing in the hall in front of my door loudly, etc. Nothing "wrong" per se, but being annoying as a form of retribution for "not just switching; it's no big deal"

So, like I said, depending on the circumstance I may or may not do the switch, but I'd probably get on board the ship with a slightly uneasy feeling about the whole thing. I hope you understand what I am trying to convey, I'm not trying to attack you.

And do keep in mind whoever has that cabin today may not be the same person that has it on sailing day, so, again, it could present a new awkward situation.

Maybe the LEAST awkward way is to not call Carnival and just ask the person to switch on boarding day with a $50 bill in hand. Just saying...

Maybe the LEAST awkward way is to not call Carnival and just ask the person to switch on boarding day with a $50 bill in hand. Just saying...

LOL.... this just goes to show how different we all are. If someone came to ask me with money in hand, I would feel very pressured and maybe insulted that they thought money could buy whatever they wanted.

If a stranger approached me for a favor, the best way to do it is to preface it with saying, " I am going to ask you something but don't feel that you have to and I won't be upset if you say no" That would put me at ease and more open to what they are going to ask me.

The problem with asking on board is that the person might have already unpacked. If it was me, I would be very reluctant to move in that case. If not and I have not chosen that cabin for a particular reason, then I would.

LOL.... this just goes to show how different we all are. If someone came to ask me with money in hand, I would feel very pressured and maybe insulted that they thought money could buy whatever they wanted.

If a stranger approached me for a favor, the best way to do it is to preface it with saying, " I am going to ask you something but don't feel that you have to and I won't be upset if you say no" That would put me at ease and more open to what they are going to ask me.

The problem with asking on board is that the person might have already unpacked. If it was me, I would be very reluctant to move in that case. If not and I have not chosen that cabin for a particular reason, then I would.

I agree with your second paragraph, 100%. The $50 offer would be for any inconvenience, such as if they had already unpacked, time spent at guest services, etc. I am in line with your thinking, I just didn't put it in words well.

I really can't imagine anyone being unreasonable or even passively rude to someone who didn't agree to a switch in this case knowing it's their own fault they didn't get the cabin to begin with. It's not like there was a mix-up on Carnival's part that caused this problem. The friend jumped in at the last minute. Of course the other person doesn't know that, but I really don't see why anyone should be concerned about their reaction. Maybe I give people too much credit. I know all about planning in advance and all of that. I picked my cabins with a fine-tooth comb well in advance. But I don't see anything wrong with doing something nice for someone even if they weren't as planned as me. Nor would I expect someone to act childish and immature if I said no. I could have my reasons for choosing to say yes or no as much as they have their for wanting the room.

I also don't get why everything has to have a material gain. Sure if I want to give an OBC or a gift, that's one thing but to expect it is petty IMO. If I do something that cost me nothing, I don't need anything tangible back. Say thank you. That's good enough me if you even do that.

At the end of the day I see no reason why there should be ill-feelings either way, and I'm actually surprised at some of the responses here; although I realize I base my opinion off of what I would do if the cabins were essentially identical and how much of a non-issue this was when my sister was asked to do the same thing. Oh well.

I agree. Rolling up to me as a stranger onboard with money in your hand adds pressure. And I can totally see someone being ticked and calling me names if I didn't take the money and kept my own room. If I'm going to simply do you a favor, please don't try to buy me off with cash. Asking onboard is much more hairy of a situation IMO.

I choose my cabins with some thought, but in most situations I would be happy to move a cabin or two to allow friends/family to have connecting cabins.

If I wasn't happy to do it, I would politely apologize and say no.

I don't think people should ever feel bad about asking others for such considerations, and, likewise, I don't think people should feel bad if they have reasons (whatever they may be) to choose to say no.

Someone I know had to ask me to watch her children after school recently. Our children are friends and they play at each of our homes with relative frequency. This woman works, and I stay home. Having her children over after school is exactly zero effort for me. They ride the bus to my home, keep my children entertained, and then their mother picks them up. The mom and I are on the border between acquaintances and friends. (I believe we would both like to move that line more solidly into friends.)

It was obvious that it was VERY difficult for her to ask me, but the truth was that I was THRILLED that she asked me, because it made me feel like I could ask her for help if I had an "emergency." I am relatively new to my community and it is a HUGE relief to feel like there is someone I can call and ask a favor of.

This makes me sad. There is a real lack of community in the current culture of the US, and I think that that we are all worse off for it.

I really can't imagine anyone being unreasonable or even passively rude to someone who didn't agree to a switch in this case knowing it's their own fault they didn't get the cabin to begin with. It's not like there was a mix-up on Carnival's part that caused this problem. The friend jumped in at the last minute. Of course the other person doesn't know that, but I really don't see why anyone should be concerned about their reaction. Maybe I give people too much credit. I know all about planning in advance and all of that. I picked my cabins with a fine-tooth comb well in advance. But I don't see anything wrong with doing something nice for someone even if they weren't as planned as me. Nor would I expect someone to act childish and immature if I said no. I could have my reasons for choosing to say yes or no as much as they have their for wanting the room.

I also don't get why everything has to have a material gain. Sure if I want to give an OBC or a gift, that's one thing but to expect it is petty IMO. If I do something that cost me nothing, I don't need anything tangible back. Say thank you. That's good enough me if you even do that.

At the end of the day I see no reason why there should be ill-feelings either way, and I'm actually surprised at some of the responses here; although I realize I base my opinion off of what I would do if the cabins were essentially identical and how much of a non-issue this was when my sister was asked to do the same thing. Oh well.

Well said. :)

We called our PVP to see if we could contact the person in the cabin between my DD and myself and she said they could not do it. She said she would keep on eye on it in case it comes open but we do that ourselves daily.

We called our PVP to see if we could contact the person in the cabin between my DD and myself and she said they could not do it. She said she would keep on eye on it in case it comes open but we do that ourselves daily.

At least your PVP called you back. Lol. Good Luck!!!!!! :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At least your PVP called you back. Lol. Good Luck!!!!!! :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We must be lucky she always returns our calls,answers our emails and notifies us of specials we might be interested in! My DD has a suite and we have a "regular " balcony so finding the right cabin situations is tough we will be fine where there is only one cabin between us.

I really can't imagine anyone being unreasonable or even passively rude to someone who didn't agree to a switch in this case knowing it's their own fault they didn't get the cabin to begin with.

I just think of the problems that can happen once both cabins' parties are on the ship and trying to make a switch: S&S cards need to be reprinted, luggage arrives at different times and sometimes is put straight into the cabin (possibly even unpacked), cabin steward lists need to be changed, dining table allocations can be mixed up, Bon Voyage pre-purchases such as flowers, etc. have already been delivered or are on the way to the cabin, and the potential for credits/OBC/early drinks purchases (made prior to the cabins being made accessible) having to be switched to new cabin number. And to add to that Guest Services are usually busy with a myriad of other problems.

Would I agree to a change, possibly, but I'd be pretty irritated if my new cabin suddenly places me next to people who are a nuisance/loud and this is suddenly a cabin with connecting doors :eek: . An "essentially identical" cabin switch could quickly become a very irritating situation at 2am when the "recipient" rethinks the pros and cons of the change.