Fast weight gain?? :(

taffy12

This isn't really a cruise-related post because I'm not working towards any future trips or anything, but I didn't know of any other good message boards and was hoping y'all could help me figure this out! I've been working since the middle of March to lose weight, and have been rather successful in my endeavors, dropping from 153 to 133 (I'm 5'3") with mostly a change in diet. I was feeling great about myself, my smaller pants were fitting again...it was all good. But then I lost control, and for two weeks and two days, I've been eating horribly - enough to disgust myself. I estimate that I now consume at least 2500 calories most days, probably more. I'm a college student home on summer break, so I've been very sedentary (plus I live in the south so it's way too hot to go outside) and I know my eating habits are pretty horrible...but I still don't see how I could have so quickly put so much weight back on. The last time I weighed myself a couple of days ago, I was already back up to 142, and I'm scared to step on the scale again because all my clothes fit the way they did before I started losing weight in the first place. I feel so bad that I undid all those months of hard work... Is it really possible that I gained back the weight so quickly?? I go back to school in just under three weeks and really, really want to undo the damage before then...any tips?? Any insight on how this is possible and what I can do would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hey Taffey12; sounds to me like you might be a little bored. I'm here in the northeast and it's been pretty hot here as 90's and mad humid almost every day. Would you consider getting up early and going for a run or long walk before it gets too hot. This may make you more motivated to not eat the bad stuff. Drink lots of water; get to the beach or a lake and take along the radio a nice fruit salad. Just a suggestion - good luck.

I know what you mean by all of a sudden, you've gained weight back and feel horrible. Believe me, I gained more than 9lbs! More like 30!! The advise everyone here told me was that when your mindset is determined to lose the weight, thats half the battle. As for the heat, I've either walked the treadmill in the A/C or swam laps in the pool. Its not much, but its something. I'm doing atkins, choose what works for you and drink lots of water. When you are hungry, drink water or snack on some veggies. You can lose the 9lbs in three weeks!! These people on this board were so supportive to me when I was feeling really down. I check in with the board every day and they kind of keep me on track! Affter one week, I'm down 6.5lbs!! Feeling much better about things too! Good Luck!! :)

You have to find a way of eating that works for you and stick to it....forever or the weight will come back and bring some friends with it. I know it sucks, but it is the truth. Been there, done that! Good luck!!

Boredom is the biggest diet killer of all time. When you feel "bored and hungry", try drinking a huge glass of water instead. Force yourself to go out and walk in the morning before it gets too hot and again in the late afternoon. You don't have to walk fast, just do a normal pace for like an hour or so. Bring some music along to help. Substitute something like a big bowl of oatmeal or a huge salad for either a meal or an afternoon snack. Either will fill you up and reduce your caloric intake.

Also, don't get mad at yourself! That just makes you feel like you "failed" and you haven't. You've just taken a little break is all. Just go back to eating healthy again and drink plenty of fluids - 1/2 your weight in ounces, in your case, 71 ounces a day. It can be in the form of water or crystal lite or diet iced tea (diet soda will work too just make sure it's low sodium).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Taffy - My guess is that you had a sort of routine of what you ate & when you ate, when you were at school, and now that you're home, that all went out the window. :eek: If you've been eating more "junk food" lately, I would bet that a bunch of that weight may only be water weight -- which is Good news, because when you get back to healthy eating, you'll drop the first few lbs very quickly, getting yourself into another routine of eating right & adding exercise.

If it's really too hot to exercise outdoors, pop in an exercise tape indoors, or dance to your favorite music for 1/2 hr, or drive to the nearest mall & walk briskly around all the levels. (Stay away from the food court! :p Eat something filling before you go, & bring a water bottle, so you won't be tempted!)

And the worst thing to do is think you've "failed" & totally give up. The fact that you asked for help means you're willing to get back on track - which is half the battle - so sort out the good advice people have given you here, figure out what will work for YOU - and get moving!

Taffy - you did it before & you can do it again! Good luck! Let us know how it goes for you!

Another thing you have to realize is that when you go from eating healthy to eating badly, you have probably increased your intake of sodium exponentially. Most junk food, fast food, restaurant food, etc is WAY high in sodium, which can make you retain fluids and make you feel bloated and weigh more. I have no doubt that if you got back on a healthy regimen, drink your water, stay away from salt, you would probably lose about 5 of those pounds the first week.

Fight the good fight, girlfriend, I am right there with you!!!:D

~Shannon~

Archived