Malaga DIY?

Our cruise is docking in Malaga Monday, September 8, 2014. I understand that day is a local holiday - Feast of Our Lady of Victory. Will anything be open and will the city be very crowded? Instead should we rent a car and go out of the city or take a ship's tour (we normally don't ever do that!).

We had wanted to walk of the ship, see the Gibralfaro Castle, the Alcazaba, and walk around. I found out these two places are closed on Mondays and now I'm at a lost for what to do at this wonderful city. Please help with a new plan!

TIA!!!

Our cruise is docking in Malaga Monday, September 8, 2014. I understand that day is a local holiday - Feast of Our Lady of Victory. Will anything be open and will the city be very crowded? Instead should we rent a car and go out of the city or take a ship's tour (we normally don't ever do that!).

We had wanted to walk of the ship, see the Gibralfaro Castle, the Alcazaba, and walk around. I found out these two places are closed on Mondays and now I'm at a lost for what to do at this wonderful city. Please help with a new plan!

TIA!!!

Please DO NOT go out of Malaga! 8th September is a local holiday but is a wonderful day to be in the city and see the local Malaguenos celebrate in true Andalucian style. All the Tapas bars will be open and the processions around the Cathedral are really something not to be missed; the city will be buzzing but not over crowded. You will enjoy a real taste of Spain in Malaga and will have memories that will last for a long, long time.

Thank you Campolady! That is exactly what I wanted to hear :)!

Since the Gibralfaro and Alcazaba are closed on Monday, is it still worthwhile going up there for the view ? Will it be hard to go in the Cathedral because of the festival? Do you have any tapas recommendations or any "can't miss" sites???

Thanks again!

Thank you Campolady! That is exactly what I wanted to hear :)!

Since the Gibralfaro and Alcazaba are closed on Monday, is it still worthwhile going up there for the view ? Will it be hard to go in the Cathedral because of the festival? Do you have any tapas recommendations or any "can't miss" sites???

Thanks again!

YES - definitely worth the journey up to Gibralfaro even when closed - bus no. 35 from the Park opposite the Port main gates (fare just over 1 Euro per person). After you have seen the views walk down the hill for a couple of hundred meters (5 minutes) and go into the Parador Hotel for a drink for more spectacular views and a lovely place to relax.

For Tapas in Malaga go to:-

1. ' El Pimpi' either accessed down an alleyway off Calle Granada (near the Cathedral) or opposite the Roman Amphitheatre excavations. http://www.elpimpi.com/en/

2. ' El Jardin' - an Art Deco bar right behind he Cathedral. http://eljardinmalaga.com/

3. ' Casa Antigua de Guardia' on Malagas main boulevard the ' Alameda Principal'. This is reputedly the oldest bar in Malaga (used to be the Gaol House) where you can sample numerous Malaga Wines straight from the cask with your running total chalked up in the old wooden bar in front of you (good fish Tapas too). The staff all speak some English and will help you choose the best wine for your palate; Malaga wines are fortified similar to Sherry and range from very dry to very sweet - for a mid-range choice my favourite is Pedro Jimenez. http://www.casadeguardia.com/index.html?ididiomas=2&idioma=en&cambiar=si

4. 'Café Axarquia'. Just a few doors uphill from Casa Antigua de Guardia. Not the most stylish of bars - to say the least - but some of the best food (value and quality) in Malaga. Try the local speciality ' Frito Malagueno' which is a tasty assortment of small fried local fish or their excellent Paella that sells out very quickly.

5. When returning to the Port go through the main gates and, just ahead, in the ferry terminal you will find a wonderful Tapas bar with a large restaurant at the rear. Unknown to most visitors - mainly used by Port workers so prices are low - the Tapas are excellent and the restaurant serves a great value 3 course ' Menu del Dia' (Menu of the Day).

The Cathedral will be busy as it is a local Festival day but you will be made SO welcome by the celebrating locals so please do go in and enjoy yourselves; the Malaguenos are some of the nicest people you will meet anywhere. As you are American you will be especially welcome - the lovely Cathedral is known as the 'One Armed Lady' as she only has one tower - the money for the second tower was given to the American ' rebels' fighting us Brits in the 1700s.

Hope this helps.

Brenda

Edited by campolady

Oops! My time ran out before I could add:-

REMEMBER - locals only have one drink and one Tapa in each bar they visit (may visit up to half a dozen or more different bars) rather than a 'session' in just one location. You do not have to have an alcoholic drink - you will most likely see the locals having a Cola Lite (Diet Coke) or a Fanta Lemon/Orange. Alternatively. try one of the many versions of Coffee on offer; let me know how you like your Coffee and I will tell you what to ask for.

Brenda

Edited by campolady

Thanks Brenda! Lots of good information. That is exactly what I want to do.

Our ship will be in port 7:00 - 16:45. About when is this procession? Can it be seen from the Gibralfaro or do we need to be in the streets at that time? I don't want to miss it.

Besides the tapas bars, will the shops be open too?

Thanks again!

Mary

Thanks Brenda! Lots of good information. That is exactly what I want to do.

Our ship will be in port 7:00 - 16:45. About when is this procession? Can it be seen from the Gibralfaro or do we need to be in the streets at that time? I don't want to miss it.

Besides the tapas bars, will the shops be open too?

Thanks again!

Mary

You are welcome Mary.

The procession time won' t be listed until much nearer the time. It is only local to the Cathedral area so you need to stand round there or on the main pedestrianized street ' Calle Larios'. This is a link to the festival http://www.visitcostadelsol.com/what-to-do-and-see/events/special-events/nuestra-senora-de-la-victoria-festival-p10631

As it is a Malaga holiday the shops will be closed.

Edited by campolady

YES - definitely worth the journey up to Gibralfaro even when closed - bus no. 35 from the Park opposite the Port main gates (fare just over 1 Euro per person). After you have seen the views walk down the hill for a couple of hundred meters (5 minutes) and go into the Parador Hotel for a drink for more spectacular views and a lovely place to relax.

For Tapas in Malaga go to:-

1. ' El Pimpi' either accessed down an alleyway off Calle Granada (near the Cathedral) or opposite the Roman Amphitheatre excavations. http://www.elpimpi.com/en/

2. ' El Jardin' - an Art Deco bar right behind he Cathedral. http://eljardinmalaga.com/

3. ' Casa Antigua de Guardia' on Malagas main boulevard the ' Alameda Principal'. This is reputedly the oldest bar in Malaga (used to be the Gaol House) where you can sample numerous Malaga Wines straight from the cask with your running total chalked up in the old wooden bar in front of you (good fish Tapas too). The staff all speak some English and will help you choose the best wine for your palate; Malaga wines are fortified similar to Sherry and range from very dry to very sweet - for a mid-range choice my favourite is Pedro Jimenez. http://www.casadeguardia.com/index.html?ididiomas=2&idioma=en&cambiar=si

4. 'Café Axarquia'. Just a few doors uphill from Casa Antigua de Guardia. Not the most stylish of bars - to say the least - but some of the best food (value and quality) in Malaga. Try the local speciality ' Frito Malagueno' which is a tasty assortment of small fried local fish or their excellent Paella that sells out very quickly.

5. When returning to the Port go through the main gates and, just ahead, in the ferry terminal you will find a wonderful Tapas bar with a large restaurant at the rear. Unknown to most visitors - mainly used by Port workers so prices are low - the Tapas are excellent and the restaurant serves a great value 3 course ' Menu del Dia' (Menu of the Day).

The Cathedral will be busy as it is a local Festival day but you will be made SO welcome by the celebrating locals so please do go in and enjoy yourselves; the Malaguenos are some of the nicest people you will meet anywhere. As you are American you will be especially welcome - the lovely Cathedral is known as the 'One Armed Lady' as she only has one tower - the money for the second tower was given to the American ' rebels' fighting us Brits in the 1700s.

Hope this helps.

Brenda

Great tips. We are there in May with my mother who uses a wheelchair but can walk some. Is it easy to find the bus stop for bus 35 from the port and how do we know where to get off?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Great tips. We are there in May with my mother who uses a wheelchair but can walk some. Is it easy to find the bus stop for bus 35 from the port and how do we know where to get off?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Go out of the main Port gates - you may need to get the ' in port' shuttle bus depending on where you dock - cross the road to the Park and you will see the bus stop.

For Gibralfaro Castle just stay on until the final stop - the bus terminate at the castle gates.