Braemar 12th March- a few last questions!

kate52

Hi, now Cruisin Linda's back from her Canary Island trip I'm hoping for answers to a few last minute questions!

1. How was the temperature on the ship in the evening? Will summer clothes plus a cover-up (cardigan or wrap) be appropriate?

2. Which excursion did you do in El Hierro and how was it?

3. Can I get a dry martini and lemonade on AI?

4. Where can I smoke? Is there somewhere convenient for the bars/ entertainment in the evening? And is there somewhere to relax with a drink and a smoke in the daytime?

5. I'm assuming that as the cruise visits Madeira (EU) we can choose between the Duty Free allowance and the tax-paid EU allowance, does that sound right?

6. Were you given any maps/ port information about the destinations?

Sorry it's a long list, and I quite appreciate you won't have the answers to everything! But thanks in advance for any help you can give.

kate

5. I'm assuming that as the cruise visits Madeira (EU) we can choose between the Duty Free allowance and the tax-paid EU allowance, does that sound right?

Do keep your receipts to prove where you bought your cigarettes from if you are intending to buy any quantity above the duty free allowance.

Customs will not just accept your word that you bought everything in the EU if your itinerary includes other locations not considered to be inside the EU for duty purposes :)

1. How was the temperature on the ship in the evening? Will summer clothes plus a cover-up (cardigan or wrap) be appropriate?

I just wore short sleeves tops and trousers or skirts for dinner and it was fine. Didn't need a cardi :) DH is always cold so wore a jacket :rolleyes: The only place we noticed was cold was in the Coral Lounge.

We did "Volcano Heath" which we thought was very interesting. We went to the south of the island and were shown a film of the recent volcanic eruptions. THe man who showed us the films and the guide on the coach were very friendly. They had actually been involved in the evacuation of the town when the earthquake happened. They do not get many tourists there and although the film show was a bit amateurish (and I don't say that in a mean way) they were so eager to please us and we had a while to get a coffee and sit in the sun. I would definitely recommend taking a trip as people who took the shuttle to the Capital, Valverde, said there was nothing much there and it was cold as it is quite high up, whereas we went south where it was sunny and warm. We went through Valverde on the coach and I must say it didn't look much of a place!

The other trip was my choice, but a 45 minute hike put DH off! Quite glad we did the volcano one now though as the weather was not good in the mountains when we were there.

If you did want to use the shuttle bus it is free and you have to get tickets in advance from reception.

We only drink beer and wine, but will try to scan the AI list in later :)

4. Where can I smoke? Is there somewhere convenient for the bars/ entertainment in the evening? And is there somewhere to relax with a drink and a smoke in the daytime?

You can smoke on your balcony (if you have one :rolleyes:) Deck 5 aft and deck 9 forward. Deck 5 has tables and chairs to sit at. Deck 9 is just an open deck

Answered by Mark :)

In your cabin is a pad of maps for all your ports of call (better than Thomsons I have to say and you don't have to ask for them)

Hope this helps, wish I was coming with you :D

Hi, now Cruisin Linda's back from her Canary Island trip I'm hoping for answers to a few last minute questions!

Sorry it's a long list, and I quite appreciate you won't have the answers to everything! But thanks in advance for any help you can give.

kate

Hello Kate

Will look forward to hearing about your cruise after you return - we are considering Fred for next year. Have a lovely cruise :)

Linda, you're a star- thank you for answering all those questions!

We don't normally go abroad in the winter, so along with being new to FO and new to the Canaries we are well out of our comfort zone!

And thanks to Mark for advice about keeping receipts- it's something we are bad about remembering!

Jules- the post-cruise reports will come round only too soon :( You wait AGES for your holiday and suddenly it's gone in a flash!

kate

I've brought all the daily info sheets back with me (sad, I know :o:D) if you need to know anything else :)

I do this, too- much to OH's disgust as he's trying to cram everything into the case!

The AI drink was very clear, thank you- it just doesn't mention martini! I'm expecting it to be 50%.

kate

I do this, too- much to OH's disgust as he's trying to cram everything into the case!

The AI drink was very clear, thank you- it just doesn't mention martini! I'm expecting it to be 50%.

kate

The lemonade is free though! Our bill was only £96 including tips. We got free AI as we booked so early - so we left the tips on, which we don't normally do. Bargain :)

Hi Kate

If I don't get on here again before the 12th have a fabulous time. I hope the seas are calm and the sun shines, but anyway I'm sure you will enjoy it as much as we did. Your itinerary is the one I really wanted to do, but it didn't fall on my birthday, so did the Agadir one instead. As it happens, we thought the hotel area of Agadir is really nice now and we are looking at having a week there next winter :)

Will look out for you in Madeira :)

Edited by CRUISIN LINDA

Hi Kate

If I don't get on here again before the 12th have a fabulous time. I hope the seas are calm and the sun shines, but anyway I'm sure you will enjoy it as much as we did. Your itinerary is the one I really wanted to do, but it didn't fall on my birthday, so did the Agadir one instead. As it happens, we thought the hotel area of Agadir is really nice now and we are looking at having a week there next winter :)

Will look out for you in Madeira :)

Thanks, Linda! Ready to start packing, I think. Still printing off info from the web.

Are you having another holiday, then? We had a week in Madeira a few years ago and I loved it. Tempted to go back to the hotel with it's gorgeous pool while we are there this time!

kate

Thanks, Linda! Ready to start packing, I think. Still printing off info from the web.

Are you having another holiday, then? We had a week in Madeira a few years ago and I loved it. Tempted to go back to the hotel with it's gorgeous pool while we are there this time!

kate

Sorry, I meant on the Madeira webcam :o:D

http://www.madeira-web.com/camera/cam-03.html

We have had 4 holidays in Madeira. It's a beautiful island. One warning - Funchal is a bit of a disaster at the moment as they are doing a lot of renovations after the terrible floods in 2010.