Walkie Talkies?

JoyAnn

My partner and I used them on Celebrity Millie. I am an early riser,so I would go off at the crack of dawn and explore the ship, then he would buzz me when he got up. That is the only time we used them, since they can be as irratating as cel phones !

Thanks for the replies. I didn't want to pack them if I couldn't use them. We bought them to use at our timeshare in Mexico, and find they are convenient for keeping track of each other when you can't use cell phones.

I will be consious of bothering others. These have a vibrate only mode.

Do be aware that US walkie-talkies may be illegal in Europe, as different frequencies are allocated in different parts of the world to public use bands, as opposed to military, public safety, etc.

Depending where you are going, you might want to check first.

I think I have bunch of channels and a weather channel.

Thanks!

No problem in taking and using them. The problem comes in finding a channel with nobody interrupting or overriding your conversations. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

I'm going on a Circle Hawaii tour that leaves from Vancouver.

Do be aware that US walkie-talkies may be illegal in Europe, as different frequencies are allocated in different parts of the world to public use bands, as opposed to military, public safety, etc.

Depending where you are going, you might want to check first.

Gottit. I'll make sure we are both concious of our loudness factor. :D

It isn't ringing that bothers many people, but the "need" for many users to talk in a VERY LOUD VOICE !:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I guess it's worth a try. If it's a bust, I won't attempt to use them on my next cruise.

My one and only experience with walkie-talkies was on the Zuiderdam and they just didn't work as expected.

I have refrained from getting into this one but I feel at this time I must express my opnion. I feel that walkie talkies on cruise ships are as opjectionable as a cell phone in a resturant or any other public place. A few years ago I was sailing on the Ryndam and there were people running around with walkie talkies and the because you can hear both sides of the conversation it is twice as bad. The most common conversation was "where are you?" I felt like screaming "on a DAM ship". In fact HAL was selling them in the gift shop. I wrote a comment on my survey at the end of the cruise on just how objectionable they were.

Technically, and I feel that I can speak of this because I am an amatuer radio operator they will only work marginally. Because the ship is made of steel and alot of it and the walkie runs very little power the signal will not travel very far. If you happen to be on the same deck then it should be no problem, but from deck to deck it becomes a problem there is alot of steel in the way.

The other thing and it is very important is about the legality in other countries. As pointed out earlier the radio's are only licensed for use in the US by our FCC. Laws in other countries maybe different. I would not use them in anyother non- US port either on shore or on the ship when docked. In addition to the possiblity of confiscation, some of those prison's dont smell good!!!:mad:

I too am an amateur radio operator and although what Bruceh4 says is true, I have had no trouble what so ever in using them from one deck to another. They have always worked very well for me between the lower decks and the sky deck.

The only real problem IMO is as others have pointed out the nuisance factor when it is so loud that it bothers others. Because of that, I use mine very infrequently especially after I received a call during an early morning church service. I wish mine had a vibrate mode.

As I already stated, I'm on a Circle Hawaii cruise. The only time I will be in a foreign port is when I am in Vancouver for embarkation. I was not planning on using them on embarkation day. I've used them in Mexico at our timeshare resorts with no trouble or complaints.

I'm only going to use them on the odd times hubby and I are not together, which is seldom, if we can't find each other for some reason. I can't imagine my possible discrete use will be any more annoying than being shoved forcefully into the back of elevators by octgenarians like I was on the Zuiderdam, woken up on the same cruise by drunken revelers having trouble getting into their cabin in the hallway, etc., or jumped on in the pool by unruly kids whose parents aren't watching them (Veendam). I'm not a gavoon, however that is spelled.

I have refrained from getting into this one but I feel at this time I must express my opnion. I feel that walkie talkies on cruise ships are as opjectionable as a cell phone in a resturant or any other public place. A few years ago I was sailing on the Ryndam and there were people running around with walkie talkies and the because you can hear both sides of the conversation it is twice as bad. The most common conversation was "where are you?" I felt like screaming "on a DAM ship". In fact HAL was selling them in the gift shop. I wrote a comment on my survey at the end of the cruise on just how objectionable they were.

Technically, and I feel that I can speak of this because I am an amatuer radio operator they will only work marginally. Because the ship is made of steel and alot of it and the walkie runs very little power the signal will not travel very far. If you happen to be on the same deck then it should be no problem, but from deck to deck it becomes a problem there is alot of steel in the way.

The other thing and it is very important is about the legality in other countries. As pointed out earlier the radio's are only licensed for use in the US by our FCC. Laws in other countries maybe different. I would not use them in anyother non- US port either on shore or on the ship when docked. In addition to the possiblity of confiscation, some of those prison's dont smell good!!!:mad:

These are neat, they have different modes like cell phones.

IMHO, the same people who will talk in a movie, take loud calls on their cells in restaurants, blow smoke in your face, break into lectures, are those who will use WT's without being conscious of the annoyance factor. Self absorbed with little to no manners.

Hubby and I are seldom apart, but on a 17 day cruise I suspect there will be a few times when we will be. That is the only time I planned on using them, and then in vibrate mode. I won't answer until I find a place where I won't disturb others.

I too am an amateur radio operator and although what Bruceh4 says is true, I have had no trouble what so ever in using them from one deck to another. They have always worked very well for me between the lower decks and the sky deck.

The only real problem IMO is as others have pointed out the nuisance factor when it is so loud that it bothers others. Because of that, I use mine very infrequently especially after I received a call during an early morning church service. I wish mine had a vibrate mode.

Archived