Book Tours at Dock?

Eco_Prof

Hello everyone. My wife and I will be first time cruisers and celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary. We are sailing on the Coral Princess leaving Vancouver on May 31.

Right now we are trying to finalize decisions about shore exursions. We have Juneau all figured out, but are still working on Ketchikan and Skagway. In Ketchikan we want to either go to Misty Fjords, kayaking, or on a rainforest hike. We are having a hard time deciding since our level of enjoyment on these trips is closely tied to the weather. My first question is whether we can wait until we get off the ship to book a kayaking or Misty Fjords tour so that we can see what the weather is like? Do we risk having these tours sold out if we wait?

Secondly, in Skagway, we want to take a trip up to White Pass. However, we are undecided about whether to take the train or the bus. The train is obviously a fun way to travel, but it doesn't make photo stops and it costs significantly more. On the other hand, the bus is not as elegant as the train, but it stops frequently and only costs $39. Any thoughts?

Hello everyone. My wife and I will be first time cruisers and celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary. We are sailing on the Coral Princess leaving Vancouver on May 31.

Right now we are trying to finalize decisions about shore exursions. We have Juneau all figured out, but are still working on Ketchikan and Skagway. In Ketchikan we want to either go to Misty Fjords, kayaking, or on a rainforest hike. We are having a hard time deciding since our level of enjoyment on these trips is closely tied to the weather. My first question is whether we can wait until we get off the ship to book a kayaking or Misty Fjords tour so that we can see what the weather is like? Do we risk having these tours sold out if we wait?

Secondly, in Skagway, we want to take a trip up to White Pass. However, we are undecided about whether to take the train or the bus. The train is obviously a fun way to travel, but it doesn't make photo stops and it costs significantly more. On the other hand, the bus is not as elegant as the train, but it stops frequently and only costs $39. Any thoughts?

Skagway - you can do the train up and bus back. There are several options. I have done Chilkoot Charters 7 hrs bus up to the Yukon which can be all bus or bus/train option.

Ketchikan - yes you can book with independent tours when you get off the ship. But, if you want a guarantee that you can get on you should book ahead. I think Island Wings (Michelle) has the best flight tour to the fiords. I have tried to book with Allen Marine for the boat into the Fiords but because the ship uses them I had to book it with the cruiseline.

Where can I find info on this bus tour? That seems like an unbelievably low price. Thanks. Marlene

Where can I find info on this bus tour? That seems like an unbelievably low price. Thanks. Marlene

The bus tour is one of the optional excursions available on the Princess website.

The bus tour is one of the optional excursions available on the Princess website.

Check out the tours of Chilkoot Charters.

Lots of options for White Pass, but we settled on Chillkoot Tours (smaller groups, more personalized, etc). Since we wanted time to explore onshore, we chose train up, bus back (bus stops for photos on the way down), so the 3.5 tour fits us perfectly. Gotta do the train...hubby is a huge rail fan.

The reason for the "cheap" with the mentioned bus tour, is because it is only going 20+ miles. This segment is significantly more scenic by rail, and does not get into the Yukon. There are other tour offers, but it needs to be known the distance. The stops long the Klondike Highway are pretty fixed no matter who the vendor is on the summit trips. The rail goes slow for plenty of photos with narration allowing you to prepare.

It is never a good idea, to wait until you are at the port for booking tours, especially Kayaking and Misty Fiords (I am assuming flightseeing?) aren't going to have much if any availability. IF you continue to go with this, then you need to have an early ship arrival and you being off the ship as soon as it clears and making your booking arrangements.