self-disembarkation

On our next cruise, we will arrive in Barcelona at 6:00am. DH and I are considering self-disembarkation for this cruise. What are the benefits and drawbacks of this compared to traditional disembarkation? The search function is not currently working. Thanks for your input.

On our next cruise, we will arrive in Barcelona at 6:00am. DH and I are considering self-disembarkation for this cruise. What are the benefits and drawbacks of this compared to traditional disembarkation? The search function is not currently working. Thanks for your input.

You will have to carry off all of your bags, with no carts to help. You may also have to go down stairs with your bags. The benefit is that you are among the first to leave the ship.

The start of your problems will likely be the elevators on the ship. We have always found very crowded elevators the morning we left the ship.

In Barcelona you will need to negotiate two escalators from the gangway (deck 4) of the ship. They are fairly narrow, it was difficult on those escalators with just a carry-on roller-board.

Can it be done? Of course! But on our last cruise as Diamonds we were off the ship, picked up our luggage, and were in a taxi before 7AM. It was still dark. Customs was very quick. Barcelona now has an airport style luggage carousel. I thought it was much easier than the number system at other terminals.

My recommendation, unless you have a very early flight, I would get the earliest time you can get and let them wrestle your luggage.

Enjoy your cruise.

We did self disembark last year from Oasis and will do again this year from Allure. The process starts very early. We carried our own luggage, RCCL crew provided guidance as we made our way off the ship. We picked up our luggage, were through customs and were on the curb getting a cab by 6:30AM. This works for us because we like to catch an early flight home.

Happy sailing~