Vision of the Seas~B2B~Spanish Immersion~Feb. 8th & 15th~My Diary

Jane- loving the review. I'd love to do this cruise.

The Big Booper- isn't it amazing how little time we spend on CC during tax season? Here's to being 6 weeks out from 4/15. I need a vacation ASAP!

Jane is friends with me on FB so I knew that she took this cruise and would be writing about it here on CC. Otherwise I would not be here at all.

Now back to tax returns. Only 140 to go plus 12 corps. And I work alone with no staff , professional or clerical.:eek:

We arrived in Cartegena right on time at 10:30. It was a beautiful day and very HOT! The Westerdam was in port with us.

DSC02513_zps32660516.jpg

DSC02515_zps427ad3a8.jpg

DSC02516_zps45b2373a.jpg

We got off around 11:15. There is a shuttle that takes you up to the Welcome Center, so be sure and look for that. We didn't see it, so we walked there instead. John has a little trouble walking long distances so those shuttles are very important to us. Anyway.....we made it OK.

We just grabbed a taxi to the Old Town today and wandered around there for a little while. We just took it slow and wandered at our own pace. We have been to Cartegena before. The last time we went to a beach, but that was not a good experience here, so that is why we opted to go to the Old Town. Now the taxi drivers here will offer to take you on a tour and you can go to the Monastery, Fortress, and the Old Town for about $50-60. I think that would be well worth it and just fine and safe. We just didn't want to be out for very long today and as I said before, John has a hard time walking for very long.

We were dropped off at the clock tower and went from there.

DSC02520_zps1a99eda4.jpg

DSC02525_zpseaef3343.jpg

The Old Town was very quaint and interesting. Lots and lots of streets to wander through. This was an old stable area that I believe someone bought and is going to develop it into a hotel. I can just see a beautiful hotel here.

DSC02527_zps98f18353.jpg

Jane, glad to see your review!!! I was waiting very patiently!!!!

We may book the Vision, soon!!

We have to change our Oasis TA, so we may book the Vision, or maybe not!!! ImageUploadedByForums1393814476.765037.jpg.79073c67bc6e14d567d14c688f32e7cb.jpg

Love the pics.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

DSC_0825_zpsd2a484b1.jpg

We found a little park and sat down to rest for a bit. It sure was HOT!

DSC_0826_zps7666e6b9.jpg

We found a taxi to take us back to the port. At the end of the pier there is a nice Welcome Center with a nice gift shop and a really nice aviary. Next week we plan to spend some time at the aviary and purchase a little Wi-Fi time. There is a nice place to sit and catch up on e-mails and the Wi-Fi is cheap.

DSC02519_zpsa651bc55.jpg

DSC_0827_zpsa46ddcdc.jpg

DSC02542_zpsa923d4ac.jpg

We ran into Julie and Joel here. They were on their way out as we were on the way in.

DSC02544_zpsf1dc2fee.jpg

So glad you enjoyed your trip! I also love hearing about Vision.. We sail on her for our 1st time in May.. Also a JS Aft..8588. Can't wait! Thx again for your review/photos!!

Congratulations on scoring 8588! Great cabin! I have some pictures of it that I will share in the second week. Our CC friends were in that cabin. It was awesome!

Oh.....you will absolutely love this cruise. One of the best we have taken in a long time. Great itinerary. You can have the big ships!!!! This ship's size is just perfect. We enjoy ourselves on the big ships' date=' but on this ship.....we were made to feel so special. Everyone knew who we were and called us by name. I don't recall a friendlier crew. All the ships are great, but this one was really special!![/size']

Great review so far Jane, I'm really looking forward to the rest of it. Makes me wish I put up a review back in Nov rather than the odd post or photo in other people's threads! Keep up with the photos. Did you get to meet Capt Srecko Ban? Btw, who was CD?

I'm really glad you mentioned the crew in this manner... I couldn't agree more on this ship. And I love the comment from the other CC'er regarding Vision Class ships being like an old comfortable pair of shoes you can never get rid of because they are so awesome!! lol. Perfect analogy:p

Great review so far Jane, I'm really looking forward to the rest of it. ...Did you get to meet Capt Srecko Ban? Btw, who was CD?

I'm really glad you mentioned the crew in this manner... I couldn't agree more on this ship. And I love the comment from the other CC'er regarding Vision Class ships being like an old comfortable pair of shoes you can never get rid of because they are so awesome!! lol. Perfect analogy:p

I don't think Jane met Capt Srecko. He's scheduled back on March 15. I intentionally booked March 8 and 15 b2b to spend a week with each of the 2 Masters. Great team.

And, yes, Jane, please tell us about the CD(s).

Hey Beth! Great hearing from you! Betsy has just gone on vacation and Gustavo will be in the CL for your sailing. He is usually in the DL. And yes....the CL hours are adjusted. I believe they are from 6-9. Believe me......you will be treated royally on the Vision!!

I love your analogy of the Vision being old broken in shoes. That's just perfect!

I know I'll be treated royally. I was on both TransAtlantics last year. On the return trip (immediately after the revite drydock), I was #3 and cut the ribbon to open Izumi, the 3rd specialty restaurant. That is one of my most memorable cruise experiences!

Sounds good! How do I get one?

The other poster was referring to the BOGO specialty restaurant coupon that comes with the Diamond Plus or Pinnancle level in Crown & Anchor. That's at least 175 cruise points.

Oh.....you will absolutely love this cruise. One of the best we have taken in a long time. Great itinerary. You can have the big ships!!!! This ship's size is just perfect. We enjoy ourselves on the big ships' date=' but on this ship.....we were made to feel so special. Everyone knew who we were and called us by name. I don't recall a friendlier crew. All the ships are great, but this one was really special!![/size']

You are making me so excited. I can hardly wait. Cartegena looks so picturesque.

You mention a special area on Deck 5 in the dining room on deck 5 for suite guests.

Is this just for breakfast or all meals?

What makes it special? A nice location? By window?

An invite by Maitre D necesary or just a suite guest?

Have not heard of a special area before. Do other ships have this also?

Great review--thanks

Great review so far Jane, I'm really looking forward to the rest of it. Makes me wish I put up a review back in Nov rather than the odd post or photo in other people's threads! Keep up with the photos. Did you get to meet Capt Srecko Ban? Btw, who was CD?

Hey! Good to hear from you. Thanks for the recommendation of The Woodwind in Bonaire. We did that on our first week. Will get to that really soon. Capt. Ban was not on these sailings. Capt. Lis was the Master. We had dinner with her twice. What a sweetie! Rico was NOT the CD. Someone named Carlos was. We didn't participate in too many of the activities, but saw him occaisionaly.

I know I'll be treated royally. I was on both TransAtlantics last year. On the return trip (immediately after the revite drydock), I was #3 and cut the ribbon to open Izumi, the 3rd specialty restaurant. That is one of my most memorable cruise experiences!

That's so cool! Hope we can get back on the Vision soon. They really know how to treat their C & A guests.

Most of the activities were in Spanish and also were happening very late, so that's why we didn't go to too many things. Especially the late thing.....we didn't mind the Espanol.......it's just that we are up very early and so we crashed early, too. The mornings were very quiet........everyone was sleeping but us!!

You mention a special area on Deck 5 in the dining room on deck 5 for suite guests.

Is this just for breakfast or all meals?

What makes it special? A nice location? By window?

An invite by Maitre D necesary or just a suite guest?

Have not heard of a special area before. Do other ships have this also?

Great review--thanks

This area is available for breakfast every day and for lunch on sea days. It's so special because most of the time, we were practically the only ones there. What service. Really made me feel special. For breakfast you can get all kinds of specialty coffees. And yes......we sat by the window every day. We could have sat anywhere we wanted! Almost all ships do something of this nature. Usually there is a D/D+/P area in the MDR. It is an area set aside just for us folks. The only ship we've been on that didn't do that was Freedom. Oasis and Allure don't do it because they have a full service breakfast in the CL. Suite Guests usually have a special area set aside in Chops or somewhere like that for breakfast and lunch.....but that's not convenient on this ship, so that's why they do it on Deck 5 of the dining room. One of my most favorite perks! They have been doing this for a number of years now.