Dress code

Jennv77

Ok, I know dress code questions are asked all the time, but I'm still a little confused. Maybe I am overthinking this. Lol. We are taking our first cruise in August. We are a summertime shorts and tank top wearing family. I understand DH & DS12(?) can't wear tank tops in the MDR for dinner. That's not a problem. But it sounds like they really shouldn't wear tank tops at all?? Like, walking around the ship? At breakfast/lunch? Should I not even pack them any? But, it's ok for me to wear one?

Tank tops are totally a norm on the ship. As well as sundresses, capris, shorts, jeans, flip flops. Wear what is comfortable to you as it's your vacation. In the MDR, it's a little more formal but I have seen guests that weren't as dressed up (even on formal night) and they had no issues receiving a table.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Tanktops are not permitted in the MDR for any meals, but they are fine to wear anywhere else on the ship.

There is no general ship dress code. Don't let the fashion police here tell you otherwise.

The only area where they really enforce a strict dress code is at your formal dinners and the captain's dinner. All other areas around the ship you can dress pretty relaxed. Swim wear all the time if you'd like.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You can not wear tank tops in the MDR ever. My husband had to go put a shirt on for breakfast in the MDR. They enforced that every time on the dream and the breeze. Otherwise it's fine everywhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

With the exception of the MDR and the specialty restaurants, you'll find that most people wear beach resort type clothing, at least on a Caribbean cruise. Probably won't see too many people walking around wearing tank tops on an Alaskan cruise. So to answer your question, yes, tank tops (or t-shirts) and shorts are pretty much the norm. In the buffet area, as with most land-based dining establishments, "shirt and shoes required". That basically means, at the very least, pull on a shirt or cover-up over your bathing suit and put on some sandals, flip-flops or whatever. No bare feet in the buffet area.

Lol. My DH is Italian and he does wear those in the summer, but from reading posts on here, I've decided I will not be packing any!! ;-). Also, on a cruise casual night, is it ok for him to wear nice shorts and a nice tshirt in the MDR? He's not a dress up kind of guy, and he doesn't own any polo shirts or anything. But, I will buy some if that's not acceptable.

Thanks!

Edited by Jennv77

Ok, I know dress code questions are asked all the time, but I'm still a little confused. Maybe I am overthinking this. Lol. We are taking our first cruise in August. We are a summertime shorts and tank top wearing family. I understand DH & DS12(?) can't wear tank tops in the MDR for dinner. That's not a problem. But it sounds like they really shouldn't wear tank tops at all?? Like, walking around the ship? At breakfast/lunch? Should I not even pack them any? But, it's ok for me to wear one?

As lkong as they are not in the dining rooms, they are fine, including the lido bistro.

Dressing is still all about how you wish to be perceived by others.

Maybe I'm a little old-fashioned... I view the MDR as an upscale restaurant and I dress accordingly. For me, that is slacks and a nice shirt. For my wife, I love her in dresses so she wears those. But dress pants are also good. Or as my past company would refer to it as "business-casual".

Steve

The guys are fine wearing tank tops around the pool decks. They need a shirt and shoes of any kind at the lido buffet. Carnival does allow"dress" shorts at dinner on casual nights unlike Princess, RC and Celebrity. No cargo or basketball shorts or flip flops. Docker type shorts with polo shirts and boat shoes are fine. My DH won't wear shorts except the 1st night because we cruise more on those other lines. Women can wear tanks at dinner but they are more dressy sleeveless types over men's undershirt type. You will see guys that push it with ripped droopy shorts, ratty T shirts with questionable language and a ball cap.

Don't stress about the dress code, you will see all sorts of clothes on a Carnival cruise. No tank tops on men in the MDR at anytime. My 16yr nephew was turned away from breakfast in the MDR for wearing a nice sleeveless shirt. Tank tops on men are fine walking around the ship and at the Lido buffet. I always see plenty of men wearing tank tops.

Nice shorts, jeans and t-shirts are allowed in the MDR for dinner on casual nights. I notice people do still tend to dress nicely for dinner, but the more casual attire is permitted.

Edited by cherbear4000

Don't stress about the dress code, you will see all sorts of clothes on a Carnival cruise. No tank tops on men in the MDR at anytime. My 16yr nephew was turned away from breakfast in the MDR for wearing a nice sleeveless shirt. Tank tops on men are fine walking around the ship and at the Lido buffet. I always see plenty of men wearing tank tops.

Nice shorts, jeans and t-shirts are allowed in the MDR for dinner on casual nights. I notice people do still tend to dress nicely for dinner, but the more casual attire is permitted.

On the formal night-is nice white capris and a pretty top and dressy sandals ok?

On the formal night-is nice white capris and a pretty top and dressy sandals ok?

Some will disagree, but that will be fine. I often do not dress up on formal nights and wear jeans and a nice top and flip flops. No problems.

They could let you in but you might feel a little under dressed on formal nights in that. It would be perfect for the casual nights.

You will absolutely be allowed in the MDR on elegant night with that outfit. You may notice others will be more dressed up than that though. I would say most women wear a dress or a nice pants suit.

Edited by cherbear4000