Carry beer onboard?

stitch4me

Hi,

My husband loves to try the local beer from the places that we visit and he buys a couple of cans more or less at each port. Maybe he has been lucky, but he has never, ever had them taken off him on our return to the ship.

Hi,

My husband loves to try the local beer from the places that we visit and he buys a couple of cans more or less at each port. Maybe he has been lucky, but he has never, ever had them taken off him on our return to the ship.

If you do this, be prepared to have them taken. On Silhouette in January they had a big old table with 'contraband' as everyone returned from Ports ;)

It varies by ship, port, security officers on duty, how you look to them (older/clean cut?) and how nice you are to them...after all they are just doing their job. We've never been stopped bringing a bottle of local wine on board, but we know many who have been stopped.

As long as you are willing to be pleasant if they stop you, give it a try. Clearly, it's not permitted according to the rules and policies....but sometimes smiling and joking with them helps....and sometimes, you just have to wait until the last night when they return the wine/beer/whatever to you for packing.

Edited by ghstudio

On our many X cruises or any other cruise lines we've been on we've never had cans of beer taken when returning from a port visit. Granted it was never more than 4 cans we had. In fact on the Century cruise we returned from just over a week ago, I bought 2 bottle of French wine in a supermarket on St. Barths, which were to be taken home as they were the only reasonable priced souvenirs on that pricey island and a six pack of beer. We drank two of the beers on shore at the beach leaving four. I was told by security upon returning to the ship that the wine had to be turned in but nothing was mentioned about the cans of beer in the same supermarket shopping bag . As it turn out there was no one at the tender boarding area to turn them in to so security eventually let me bring the wine back to our cabin after holding me up for about five minutes. Those two bottle are now in my wine cellar. It may have help that we are Elite and can drink for free at the social hour. :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=304282&d=1393891701

DSC09017.jpg.3b21e5e96f80980c3c37420b6ffde248.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

When we sailed to Alaska in 2012 we brought a flat (24) of Alaskan beer back to our room. We brought it on board and we immediately told them we had purchased it as we went through the security area. We expected that they would take it and give it back to us at the end of the cruise but they told us we could bring it back to our room. We were very surprised. I even asked him twice because I was so shocked.

I can add to the "they don't always confiscate it" list.

In several ports on my last cruise I bought bottles of rum for myself and to take back as gifts. In Barbados I had two fifths of rum. I placed the bag on the conveyor and sent it through. NO ONE said a single word about it and I simply picked up the bag and went to my room.

In St. Lucia I had a fifth of banana liquor and a fifth of rum. Same drill. Simply sent it on through but this time they said I would have to turn it in and I smiled and asked if the "table" to do the paperwork and turn it in was by the elevators. They smiled and said yes and handed me the bag. Well, they were right the table was there but NO contraband and no one manning it. I waited 15 minutes and no one appeared with the paperwork. The elevator came and I simply got on and went to my room. No one asked and I didn't volunteer to find anyone to continue trying to turn it in.

On my first cruise the rum I bought was confiscated and brought to my room on the last night. There is no way to predict how it will go. Prepare to hand it over and keep quiet if it never happens is my motto.

Edited by Clydesmom7865