Outside seating at windjammer

We have traveled on all of the Radiance class of ships and one of the things we liked the most was being able sit outside aft from the Windjammer.

I just read a review that said entrance to the back deck is blocked by the new Isumi and Rita's.

Can anyone tell me if this is true and

is there anyway to work around it?

Than you

Nancy

We might have to wait for one of the Radiance experts (Patti?), but my recollection is that you can still walk through Rita's to get to the outdoor seating. There may also be other ways.

We just sailed on Serenade on Feb 15th and were able to sit back there. Was also one of our favorite places to sit for breakfast and lunch. You can only get there on the starboard side. It is blocked for Rita's.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I just noticed Radiance OTS the deck plans show that area is part of the restaurants. On Serenade OTS is was still open. Jewel OTS is open. Check the deck plans:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/class/home.do?shipClassCode=RD

I was concerned because we will be on Radiance OTS in May. It appears that HALF the seating for the Windjammer has been sucked up by pay restaurants. It's difficult enough to find a seat for breakfast, now it will be impossible. :mad:

We were on Brilliance in May 2013. The area you're referring to is still open, but you have to walk on the port side, through Rita's Cantina, to get to it.

Edited by cruisePAC

We were on the Serenade at the end of January and you could still sit back there. To get to the outdoor seating on the port side you can simply walk through Rita's but the starboard side you just walk straight out of the door at the back of the WJ and you're in the outdoor seating area. If I'm not mistaken, I believe Izumi's is one deck up on the starboard side. Don't quote me on that as we didn't eat there, but I'm pretty sure that's where it was so it wouldn't interfere with the outdoor seating.

We were on Brilliance in May 2013. The area you're referring to is still open, but you have to walk on the port side, through Rita's Cantina, to get to it.

Same on Radiance this past May.

On Radiance you can walk through the sliding glass doors of Rita's in the WJ to the aft outdoor seating section as it is not enclosed towards the back.

Izumi's has sliding glass doors both in the WJ and exiting out to the aft section. You can also walk through to the back of the ship during breakfast and lunch.

I just noticed Radiance OTS the deck plans show that area is part of the restaurants. On Serenade OTS is was still open. Jewel OTS is open. Check the deck plans:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/class/home.do?shipClassCode=RD

I was concerned because we will be on Radiance OTS in May. It appears that HALF the seating for the Windjammer has been sucked up by pay restaurants. It's difficult enough to find a seat for breakfast, now it will be impossible. :mad:

You can use the seating area in both Rita's and Izumi for breakfast.

The area where Rita's and Izumi's is located was already part of the outdoor area on both the port and starboard side and was not part of the WJ inside seating area. Saying that "half" the seating in the WJ has been sucked up is exaggerating a bit.:D

Edited by cruisenfever

Just off Brilliance and you can access the outside seating area of the WJ from either side, just one you go through Rita's to get to it. Access to Izumi is up steps from the outside area of WJ.

We used Rita's for both breakfast and lunch when eating in the WJ.

The area where Rita's and Izumi's is located was already part of the outdoor area on both the port and starboard side and was not part of the WJ inside seating area. Saying that "half" the seating in the WJ has been sucked up is exaggerating a bit.:D

We were on the radiance last spring, and they would not let us sit in the two restaurants for breakfast or lunch. It was very difficult finding a place to sit, and we even complained. We started going to the MDR for these meals, as we were tired with walking around with our plates of food.

Shirley, Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We were on the radiance last spring, and they would not let us sit in the two restaurants for breakfast or lunch. It was very difficult finding a place to sit, and we even complained. We started going to the MDR for these meals, as we were tired with walking around with our plates of food.

I surprised to hear that.

I surprised to hear that.

People actually sat down and were told to leave. I couldn't believe it. The restaurants weren't open and the seats were empty. Some days they put signs up saying that the seating was for the restaurants only, but again, they weren't yet open.

Maybe just a little bit.

But, if the weather is bad it really does make it impossible to find a seat for breakfast. As I remember on the Jewel and Serenade that area on the starboard side is still open. But now there is only the rear uncovered section on the Radiance. Not looking forward to that arrangement in Alaska in May.

From the original Windjammer layout, before the refurbs, the seating area is literally half what it was. There is an area to the left as you enter that is closed off by sliders, Usually this is open, but for some reason they frequently close even that area. Last year we were on the Jewel and Serenade, twice we had to ask why that section is closed.

If there is one thing the aggravates me the most, it's finding a seat in the Windjammer. Sorry it's a pet peeve. :p

Maybe just a little bit.

But, if the weather is bad it really does make it impossible to find a seat for breakfast. As I remember on the Jewel and Serenade that area on the starboard side is still open. But now there is only the rear uncovered section on the Radiance. Not looking forward to that arrangement in Alaska in May.

From the original Windjammer layout, before the refurbs, the seating area is literally half what it was. There is an area to the left as you enter that is closed off by sliders, Usually this is open, but for some reason they frequently close even that area. Last year we were on the Jewel and Serenade, twice we had to ask why that section is closed.

If there is one thing the aggravates me the most, it's finding a seat in the Windjammer. Sorry it's a pet peeve. :p

This past May NO one was out there it was too cold & windy....but you cetainly could have had your pick of tables...

In addition Rita's & Izumi was also empty almost everynight..We only saw two couples eating in there on our particular May 17th cruise...during the dinner hours on one night...and I made it a point to look as I'm one of the unhappy ones that they have taken the much needed/used WJ seating away.

I'll also be on ROS again this coming May :D

This past May NO one was out there it was too cold & windy....but you cetainly could have had your pick of tables...

In addition Rita's & Izumi was also empty almost everynight..We only saw two couples eating in there on our particular May 17th cruise...during the dinner hours on one night...and I made it a point to look as I'm one of the unhappy ones that they have taken the much needed/used WJ seating away.

I'll also be on ROS again this coming May :D

Oh boy, we'll wave as we go by. Enjoy your cruise.

They tie up that space for 4-5 hours, and people are doing the Windjammer seat hunt the other 10 hours.

Edited by steveru621

Maybe just a little bit.

All I can tell you is that after spending 51 days on Radiance after her refurb, we did not find that the WJ had lost any of it's original "internal" seating. None of the original tables or chairs were removed and the serving stations are in the same location as well as the coffee stations.

Once you walk out the back then yes, seating was lost when Rita's and Izumi's was added, but before the refit there were wicker chairs out there and the tables were not high enough to sit at and eat dinner.

In the aft section of the outdoor eating area, there are tables that are covered.

The WJ Verandah Cafe was always opened when we were on board.

Edited by cruisenfever