Wheelchair excursions in Grand Cayman

JYD Hawkeye

We went to GC last year and went on the Stingray City tour. Some lifting of wife to get off and on boat, but was not too hard as I am used to helping her on and off our Harley. She can walk short distances with crutches also. We are looking to do something else there this time. Not one to spend hundreds on an excurtion either. We are interested in local shopping and food. Is there a good company that will take you to see some of the island and let you shop and eat without breaking the bank ? Not interested in dolphins or four wheelers or anything like that. Would like to see some of the older, more traditional things instead of all the tourist stops.

There is a company called Captain Marvin's that is fairly popular in Grand Cayman and gets good reviews. They don't have any vans with wheelchair lifts, but it sounds like you might be able to help your wife into a 10-passenger van. They have fixed-price snorkeling tours and a land tour (Hell, 7-mile beach, turtle farm, etc.) around the island. They will customize a private tour for you, but I don't know their rates.

My husband and I used them for a combo stingray city/land tour. I thought they did an excellent job for both tours. Our land guide was very knowledgable about the island, history, culture, etc. She had pre-purchased the tickets that we needed so we didn't have to wait in any lines. We did the land tour first then were dropped off at their dock for the snorkeling tour.

Although you aren't interested in the snorkeling, I was impressed that the snorkeling guides gave a safety review (many companies just sent people in the water without any instruction) and actually seemed to be watching the snorkelers as we were in the water. I've had guides at other places sit in their boat and not pay any attention to the snorkelers until it was time to leave.