Ofetaro Feast & Show on Raiatea; Any opinions or feedback?

Mai Tai Guy

We are first timers to French Polynesia and wanted to enjoy a traditional Tahitian barbeque and show on one of the islands. The only one offered by Princess shore excursions is the one on Raiatea. After reading "cruise critics" reviews of this cruise, all have said one of the highlights were the dancers and little island kids that come aboard and perform on the ship in Raiatea. Does anyone have an opinion on which one we should do? I would hate to miss out on something great while onshore doing a paid excursion.:)

We took this excursion and were very excited to go. Unfortunately, it was THE WORST excursion I have ever been on. We had to wait for over an hour since they combined us with another group. :mad: There seemed to be hundreds of people there. I don't remember the paperwork saying this excursion was unlimited in size. I wished that I was back on the ship watching the show. The "feast" was set up in a huge outdoor building with long tables and chairs. The food was okay, nothing special IMO. It was not the intimate show and meal that I was thinking it would be. I would take Marc's motu picnic, which I heard was excellent, to get this experience.

Marc's Motu Picnic is indeed a great time. However, it does not have traditional Tahitian dancing and meal as the OP is asking for. Marc's has no traditional Tahitian food other than poisen cru. At least I don't consider, rice, chicken and fish plus salad and french bread to be the traditional feast. I think they are looking more for something like the "pig in the imu" that they have in Hawaii, along with the lomo lomi salmon, poi, chicken long rice etc, that one would have at a luau or the Tahitian equivalent. I would suggest you try to contact one of the big hotels on either of the islands where you overnight and see if they have a traditional Tahitian feast and "ballet du Tahiti" (Tahitian dances).

However, if you want an outrigger canoe ride, a couple of snorkle spots and a fun picnic in the water then Marc's is the tour for you.

Jackie

Thanks for the heads up RNay! I had a feeling that this "traditional" Tahitian feast was probably anything but "traditional". I try to stay away from Princess excursions, but my mom was very interested in this particular one, and since she is only a second time cruiser, doesn't know that most of the excursions like this are usually overcrowded and just ho hum at best. I'm sure she will enjoy the show and Polynesian buffet on board ship alot more. Thanks again for your input, it is very much appreciated!!!:)

May I repeat EVERYTHING that RNay has said. It was a less than pleasant evening when we did this excursion. The so-called "roasted pig" were pots down in a pit filled with a variety of foods! The show was ok but only 20 little seats for about 200 people, mosquitos galore, and it took forever to get back to the ship with only two small boats doing trips back & forth for all 200 people. Thank goodness we did get back in time to see the evening dancers and to enjoy the buffet...it was lots of fun! Unfortunately, we did miss the little children that did the earlier show. Next March when we go again we are staying put on the ship!

As New York Lady said...Marc's daytime picnic on Huahine is a totally different experience...not to be compaired with an evening dinner show.

Kathy

Archived