On Board Ship Credit

Question about ship or on board credit. I have a ship credit from my TA as well as NCL.

Can EITHER or BOTH of the amounts be used to pay the daily service charge?

Will appreciate input on this as the NCL FAQ's do not address the question and the posts by "experts" contradict each other, one says yes and another says no.

Thanks in advance.

The OBC from your TA can be used toward the daily service charge.

The OBC from NCL is promotional and can't be used towards daily service charge.

The NCL OBC is non- refundable since it is promotional.

The OBC from your TA can be used toward the daily service charge.

The OBC from NCL is promotional and can't be used towards daily service charge.

The NCL OBC is non- refundable since it is promotional.

Thanks for this. It makes sense to me that the TA - OBC can be used.

Except that is not always the case. NCL's OBC are basically always non refundable. The OBC from a TA can be either. You have to ask them or ask for an amenity listing which will tell you if it is refundable or not. If it is refundable, you can use it for the DSC.

As someone else mentioned, your paying the TA for taking care of things for you, ask them and then get it in writing and take it on board with you. These things have a habit of "falling through the cracks" at times.

Except that is not always the case. NCL's OBC are basically always non refundable. The OBC from a TA can be either. You have to ask them or ask for an amenity listing which will tell you if it is refundable or not. If it is refundable, you can use it for the DSC.

As someone else mentioned, your paying the TA for taking care of things for you, ask them and then get it in writing and take it on board with you. These things have a habit of "falling through the cracks" at times.

I was going to call NCL - - decided I got my answer - - now with your comments I will call. We have cruised several times on NCL. One would think I could remember. Or last was on the Epic out of Barcelona (trip for the grand kids) and we had a generous OBC from the TA on that cruise - - I can NOT remember how that got spent. We're not big spenders on board, that is we do not do the speciality dinners and the other fee based functions so if I don't want to waste the credit we need to plan. Anyway, more detail than you needed. Thanks for taking time to respond.

We always make sure that we spend enough on board to use up our OBC and just pay the DSC. (it's well deserved) That way, there are no disappointments on the last day.

We do same and agree that it is almost always well deserved.

This TA - OBC is $450 so it is NOT to be squandered. Since I am traveling with my grandkids - daughter's family - we do not sit in the bars. We always stay in the Haven and usually use the restaurant there for our evening meals versus the speciality restaurants. Excursions are one good way to use the OBC however our off ship excursions are almost always planned through a private source. Thus my dilemma. IF I can apply it towards the DSC, great, as that is a good use for our $60 a day contribution (there are 5 of us). If I can't use it for the DSC then we will plan something else.

Appreciate your thought.