Carnival Stock

pauleydm

I would like to start purchasing Carnival stock. My plan is to buy 1 share of stock per week so that I can hit my 100 shares in 2 years. Is this a good plan or should I save my money until I can buy 10 shares at a time? Also, this would be my first stock purchase, so where do I go or who do I talk to to purchase the stock. Thanks in advance for any advice given:)

I did not read all of the other posts, so excuse me if this has been said before.

You are better off buying 100 shares all at once. In stock speak that is considered a Round Lot and is normally how stock is bought and sold. You may have trouble finding 1 share to buy as someone else has to be willing to sell just one share.

Here is my suggestion. Put your money into an IRA with a brokerage house like Fidelity. This way you get a tax break right off the bat. When you have enough to buy 100 shares, do so with your IRA account and let them hold it. Now you don't have to worry about paying taxes on the dividends our market appreciation until you sell the stock and take it out of the IRA account. The only downside is if you are under 59.5 years old and need the money as there is a 10% penalty for withdrawing the funds. John

Edited by JWGrayson

I have owned my 100 shares of CCL stock for a number of years ..... bought back when it was $27/share. Since owning it, I have cruised 3-4 times per year on a CCL owned cruiseline, and have recouped the entire cost of the stock, and now am collecting the "icing on the cake" every time I cruise. As additional "frosting", these chunks of OBC are like dividends that I don't have to pay taxes on!!

In my case, it was not purchased to be considered part of my investment package, but just to take advantage of the shareholder OBC benefit, which, for me, has proved to be windfall money, and I consider it money well spent. When I can no longer cruise, I will liquidate those shares and return the money to my savings account.

Edited by flamomo

You should get a confirmation within a day or two. Where you can check is with your online documents. Log into the Carnival site and go to the Manage cruises. Select your booking then go to "print documents". Scrolling down through the documents (page 2 or 3), you will find where it lists the OBC.

You can also contact Carnival via phone and they should be able to confirm this as well.

Steve

Thank you Steve!

I have owned my 100 shares of CCL stock for a number of years ..... bought back when it was $27/share. Since owning it, I have cruised 3-4 times per year on a CCL owned cruiseline, and have recouped the entire cost of the stock, and now am collecting the "icing on the cake" every time I cruise. As additional "frosting", these chunks of OBC are like dividends that I don't have to pay taxes on!!

In my case, it was not purchased to be considered part of my investment package, but just to take advantage of the shareholder OBC benefit, which, for me, has proved to be windfall money, and I consider it money well spent. When I can no longer cruise, I will liquidate those shares and return the money to my savings account.

So if you take 3-7 day cruises a year would you get $100 OBC each time? or is it limited to only once a year?

So if you take 3-7 day cruises a year would you get $100 OBC each time? or is it limited to only once a year?

What golfadj said is correct. I'd like to expand on it. The amount your get depends on the length of the cruise. Each year the board must re-approve this benefit, so it is possible that it may not continue. I suspect that they will keep it going as their stock would take a hit with all the folks dumping their shares.

My wife retired March 31, 2012 and we were on a ship 7 days later. We decided at that time that we wanted to do a LOT more cruising. I heard about the shareholder benefit when I returned from that April cruise and joined CC. Since I already had money in a self-directed IRA, I simply bought the required 100 shares with some of those fund. I paid $3,128.85, which included a $7.95 commission. Here are our benefits over 1.75 year period:

Liberty 7-Day Eastern Carib 100.00

Legend 12-Day Northern Europe 100.00

Legend 12-Day Great Britain/Europe 100.00

Legend 15-Day Northern Route Transatlantic 100.00

Splendor 17 Day South America from Los Angeles, CA 250.00

Splendor 13 Days South America from Santiago (Valparaiso), Chile 100.00

Splendor 18 Day South America from Buenos Aires, Argentina 250.00

Breeze 15 Day TransAtlantic 250.00

Breeze 12 Day Mediterranean 100.00

Freedon 6 Day W. Carib 50.00

Freedom 8 Day So. Carib 100.00

Sensation 3 Day Nassau 50.00

Sensation 4 Day Bahamas 50.00

Recap: 13 cruises, 142 days sailed and $1,600 in OBC from owning 100 shares of Carnival stock (CCL.)

Hope that helps, John