Wifi questions!

I have a few questions for anyone who purchased the onboard wifi package:

1. RCCL website says you need a laptop to gain wifi access. Anyone know whether it works with an iPad?
  2. Is the signal strong enough to Skype? Or would it be all choppy / not useful?
  3. What is the typical price for a 7 day cruise?
  4. Anyone know if it is offered on Splendour?

Thanks!

I have a few questions for anyone who purchased the onboard wifi package:

1. RCCL website says you need a laptop to gain wifi access. Anyone know whether it works with an iPad?
  2. Is the signal strong enough to Skype? Or would it be all choppy / not useful?
  3. What is the typical price for a 7 day cruise?
  4. Anyone know if it is offered on Splendour?

Thanks!

The WiFi does work with an Ipad. The only issue might be the inability to log off properly, such that charges keep accumulating. Guest Services can provide a logoff URL to use, and they will also fix any erroneous charges.

I believe Splendour is still on the per minute plan, which starts at $0.85 per minute. You can purchase a package to reduce the per minute rate. So your cost on a 7 day cruise would be based on how many minutes you would be connected.

4 months ago the speed and connectivity on Splendour was so bad, I wasted all my free minutes trying to log off using the specific web address for an iPad. Guest services promised to refund me my lost minutes but only credited me $6, which at 85 cents per minute doesn't go far.

So as we visited many of the European ports, we used the many free wifi venues available on land.

Thanks for the replies.

If logging off is an issue, can't we just turn wifi off for the iPad? I imagine that should kill the connection, but I guess you never know.

Do you think they would tell me whether I could Skype? We are traveling without the kids, and would like to Skype goodnight. Other than that, I wouldn't need any other access. We would be emailing using our free minutes.

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies.

If logging off is an issue, can't we just turn wifi off for the iPad? I imagine that should kill the connection, but I guess you never know.

Do you think they would tell me whether I could Skype? We are traveling without the kids, and would like to Skype goodnight. Other than that, I wouldn't need any other access. We would be emailing using our free minutes.

Thanks!

Turning off the WiFi will eventually time out the connection, but it might be a 15 minute (or longer) timer. You don't want to be paying for that.

If you are suggesting asking shoreside people whether Skype would work, my guess is that you would get some answer. Don't know how reliable the answer would be. Personally, I would not depend on Skype working from the ship.

Edited by clarea

I found that the best way to sign off on an iPad is to get that URL first, the s ave it I your NOTES, so you can easily and quickly disconnect. I learned the hard way.

You will keep using minutes even if you turn off wifi on your ipad.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Maybe describing it this way will help: When you login, the timer starts; when you logout, the timer stops (and until you logout, the timer continues, terminating the "connection" won't make a difference). You will be charged for the time between those events. Whether you get any service, can make connections, or get anything done in that time has no bearing to the time spent "online".

I found that the best way to sign off on an iPad is to get that URL first, the s ave it I your NOTES, so you can easily and quickly disconnect.

Nah, just bookmark the log-off URL. And, of course, the log-on URL. Then choose them quickly and easily from your Bookmarks list.