Private tours in Istanbul and Ephesus

jim read

We are going on the Galaxy on May 22, 2006. On our last cruise, we used private tours in many of the ports and loved it. Has anyone booked or used private tours in Istanbul and Ephesus/ If so, were you happy?

Thanks for any input.

We used Meander Travel for Istanbul and Kusadasi in May and were very pleased. Meander has also received other recommendations on this board and on the Ports of Call / Europe board. Here is the information on the company:

Meander Travel (website = http://www.meandertravel.com/) (e-mail = istanbultours@meandertravel.com). Our excellent tour guides (Sel in Istanbul and Hakan in Ephesus) were very punctual showing up early on all 3 days, reasonably priced, personable, and professional. Our guide (Hakan) in Ephesus was an archaeologist --absolutely perfect for us.

Another recommended guide is Nejat. Another group on our cruise used Nejat and were very pleased. He also has received recommendations on this board and on the Ports of Call / Europe board. I think Nejat's e-mail is: *****@yahoo.com

You'll be able to find others from Cruise Critic to join you on the excursion. Check the Ports of Call / Europe board for other recommendations. For security purposes, I recommend knowing who is on your mini bus (tourist mini bus bombed in Kusadasi earlier this month).

Of 9 cruises we have been on, this was the best cruise yet. Have fun!

We were very pleased with Levent Solmaz for our tours in Istabul and Nejat Incedogan in Ephasus (Kusadasi). Levent's email is info@leventsolmaz.com and Nejat's is *****@yahoo.com. Both would have done both cities for is, but were booked by other parties part of the time of our visit. By splitting the tours between them, we feel we got great informative tours with two perspectives. I would highly recommend either of them.

We booked a private tour with a guide we found on the Turkish Tourist website. It was a terrific experience. I booked with Lale Kosagan and when her young daughter became ill, her sister stepped in to serve as our tour guide. She had a car and driver with her. She was FABULOUS. Met us in Ephesus on day 1 with a car and driver; toured all day with us. We got back on board the ship and they drove back to Istanbul (where they live -- an 8 our drive) and met us the next day in Istanbul to tour there. I've stayed in touch with both sisters. To contact them, drop and email to Lale Kosagan - lalekosagan@yahoo.com and I found her on www.tourguidesinturkey.com. The cost was unbelieveably reasonsable for a car, guide and driver.....I'm so glad that cruise ships are returning to Turkey. A wonderful place with wonderful people!

ENJOY

Jim: My wife and I are also booked on the Galaxy's 5/22/2006 Eastern Mediterranean itinerary from Civitavecchia and I read with interest your query concerning private tours in Istanbul and Kusadasi. Having taken only private tours which I arranged entirely through internet correspondence (and which, by the way, came off like clockwork and were outstanding) on our cruise through the Baltics last August/September, we are similarly interested in private tours in Istanbul and Kusadasi (I believe the other ports we can easily handle on our own). I had intended to devote those long and dark evenings this fall/winter to researching and arranging such tours but from the sound of things on other threads, people on June/July 2006 Eastern Mediterranean cruises are already booked with private guides in these ports!! Therefore, my purpose in posting today is to ask if you are interested in joining us on some sort of privately arranged tours in these ports? I honestly haven't done any research yet but would be willing to do so in the next few weeks if you are interested in joining us. Alternatively, I invite you to begin undertaking the necessary research and let me know what you come up with. Either way, we are looking forward to this trip, although we have plenty of other activities planned in the next 10 months (including our regular day-to-day lives) to keep us busy in the interim. We found that a group of 4 was perfect in the Baltics, although I would be happy to go as high as a group of 10 or so. Whether with 4 or 10, the per person cost was a fraction of what the cruise line was charging and we were the envy of everyone else on board given the number of sights we saw, coupled with the personal attention we received.

Let me know of your thoughts by posting to this thread. I am only able to monitor this thread every 3 or 4 days but will get back in touch as soon as possible.

Thanks. David C

P.S. We're nearly neighbors, albeit at a distance of about 500 miles or so, as we live in Reno!

This firm was recommended by a reliable person in Istanbul...While the service there and in Ephesus was good to outstanding, I discovered a charge for $2400.00 on my credit card separate from what was paid for the tours. They kept promising to resolve it, "We will pay the extra charges".."We are businessmen who don't want this to be a problem" etc...etc.

Due to an oversight (the credit card company didn't find the report) the matter was dropped as not being timely. Well I persisted, and persisted carefully documenting every phone call to Turkey and the CC company. One time someone at the CC told me it was no use and I hadn't tried hard enough; that made me even more persistent. Finally I did reach someone and got a vague message that they were looking into it. I tracked the individual and arranged to talk with her. It took from June 2004 until March 2005, but it was removed from my account along with accrued interest.

Point 1.

Try to verify how long the company you are interested in has been in business. 3A may still be operating or using another name. I would certainly try these boards.

Point 2.

If you have a problem, deal at once once with the service company, but go to the card company with your complaint soon after. Document everything (including names and time) and send by certified return receipt mail. I understand some may take this information by fax.

This experience followed recollections of a three week trip of a lifetime like a big gloom cloud. I am enjoying the trip more now as I read of all the plans made on the board. I loved Turkey and would go back any any opportunity.

Blessings,

• 8 months later...

I third the recommendation of Meander travel. Be sure and take the night out in Istanbul. It was one of the highlights of the trip. Hakan was great but be sure and spell out what you want to see so they can price it correctly. Suprisingly many of the sights one wants to see in Istanbul are right next to each other and can be seen in a morning +, Blue Mosque, Hippodrome, Hagia Sophia and underground cisterns. Be careful though, we got lost in the grand bazaar and almost didnt make it back to the bus! Keep phone numbers and a cell phone handy just in case. We are going back to the Med in Sept and I will be using a GPS with maps a back up. If any one is interested drop me a post. Note Meanders full day in Ephesus was far more comprehensive then the ship and was cheaper. It was a great day thanks to them.

Like Host Anne, we web surfed and ended up with a friend of Lale Kosagan in Istanbul. It was a very good experience.

My impression when it comes to guides is that Turkey is a well educated country where tour guides are well regulated with extensive licensing requirements. The number of strong resumes you will find online makes you realize how many multilingual Turks (incl. Japanese, Korean speakers, etc.) with university degrees in history, etc. need guide work!

Archived