Inside Guaranteed Cabin?

lmk1226

My husband and I are looking to book a last-minute Caribbean cruise. We were looking for an inside cabin (ID category), but as we went book it, the option to pick a specific stateroom disappeared. There is now only the option for a guaranteed room. The price did not change at all.

We are fine with any inside room at and above the category we are considering because of their locations on the ship. However, we do not want to end up with an oceanview room that winds up being on the 4th or 5th deck. What is the probability that we would be upgraded from an ID all the way up to one of those oceanview cabins? Are we pretty safe to assume that we'll remain in the inside category?

My husband and I are looking to book a last-minute Caribbean cruise. We were looking for an inside cabin (ID category), but as we went book it, the option to pick a specific stateroom disappeared. There is now only the option for a guaranteed room. The price did not change at all.

We are fine with any inside room at and above the category we are considering because of their locations on the ship. However, we do not want to end up with an oceanview room that winds up being on the 4th or 5th deck. What is the probability that we would be upgraded from an ID all the way up to one of those oceanview cabins? Are we pretty safe to assume that we'll remain in the inside category?

The only thing I would "assume" is you will have a room on the ship.

You could get bumped up or you could stay in an inside.

Just curious as to what would be wrong with a 4th or 5th ocean view if you are fine with an inside?

This coming from someone that truly doesn't care where my room is as long as I have a bed and a hot shower. So again, just curious.

If the only choices left are guarantee cabins, it means they are likely close to selling out. Check the oceanview category and see if there are cabins available there. If so, I'd say you have a decent chance of being "upgraded" to a room/location you may not want.

The only guarantee for a "guarantee" cabin is that you will get a cabin on the ship :) If you aren't OK with any cabin at or above the category you are buying, then don't do it.

We prefer to avoid taking the elevators if we can. We'll probably be spending a lot of time on the 12th deck, and it would be quite a hike to continually go from the 4th to 12th deck and back.

We prefer to avoid taking the elevators if we can. We'll probably be spending a lot of time on the 12th deck, and it would be quite a hike to continually go from the 4th to 12th deck and back.

If that would be an issue, then don't book a guarantee cabin.

You might want to try calling NCL directly.

It truly will be pot luck. I have had inside guarantee rooms be assigned anywhere from deck 4-10. Some of which have had portholes.

OP, what ship & ITN are you looking at, perhaps that would help in the lively discussion?

We've had Inside, OV & Balconies - taking specific cabins and sometimes GTY for savings and all but one were fine in GTY, an inside below the Gallery that's only noise in the AM and mid evening.

These are the chances that you are taking by agreeing to the GTY as disclosed in prints.

We're booked the GEM 2 years ago on a GTY Oceanview, expecting deck 8 obstructed view - got deck 4 (lowest pax deck) FWD-MID pothole view, port-side. We sailed 5 or 6 days after Hurricane Sandy with another Nor-Easter doing a high speed run hugging the coast doing 25 knots with a strong gale force cross-wind and 30 foot waves. Would DW be happy with deck 8 or higher, normally YES but in our case, we've happy on deck 4 & sleep thru it all after she popped a Bonine earlier in the day.

We just secured our 3 GTY assignments for the Breakaway, we last minute booked it just 2 weeks ago - got a nice TA deals with OBC. 2x IX and 1x BX - expecting deck 5 and 8 or 9 for the balcony. Ended up with 2 midship IA's on deck 11 and deck 13, and BD on deck 9, all close to the AFT elevators. None of the cabins are below or above any noisy locations, and unless there are unexpected plumbing problems and wild kids or drunks running up & down the halls (that's beyond NCL's "control") - we are happy & satisfied.

3 to 5 days in a much warmer climate & some sun will do wonders for getting rid of the winter blues. There is nothing wrong per se with the "lower" decks - in fact, we loved them for tendering & for close to the walkway when docked at the piers in different ports. Plus, it's good to exercise & walk the stairs to burn off a few calories, even without the good old Chocoholic Buffet, etc.

But, that's just us - YMMV. Otherwise, spend a bit more for your own selction of specific stateroom or cabin.

Thanks for everyone's responses! We are going on the Norwegian Dawn out of Tampa. My husband decided to take a chance on the GTY room. We booked an inside GTY such that if we stay in the inside category, we are guaranteed something on at least the 8th floor, but if we end up getting upgraded all the way to an oceanview on the 4th or 5th floor, I think we will be ok with that as well even if we are farther away from other parts of the ship. It will be nice for tendering if we do end up there as well, which would be nice.

Thanks for everyone's responses! We are going on the Norwegian Dawn out of Tampa. My husband decided to take a chance on the GTY room. We booked an inside GTY such that if we stay in the inside category, we are guaranteed something on at least the 8th floor, but if we end up getting upgraded all the way to an oceanview on the 4th or 5th floor, I think we will be ok with that as well even if we are farther away from other parts of the ship. It will be nice for tendering if we do end up there as well, which would be nice.

Most of the action on the Dawn is on 6 and 7. Only the pool area would be where you would need the elevator. Being on 4 or 5 would be nice, as you stated, for tendering and also dining, shopping, shows etc...

Best of luck with your cabin assignment and have a great cruise!