Deposit while cruising....

sacooper34

I am new to cruising and want to know do they put a hold on your cc? And if so how much... Thanks have a great day

To my understanding they update authorizations every $300 so at first they request authorization for $300, when the balance on the onboard account approaches that, another $300 etc.

I might be wrong but at least the $300 for a week long cruise at the beginning should be correct.

I have a bank card that can be used as a credit card... I would like to pay every other day with cash is this possible?

You most likely have a debit card and the usage of debit cards is nor recommended as already stated in this thread.

If you want to set up a cash account, that is fine and you don't need to give your card. Officially you'd need to deposit $300pp for cruises longer than 6 days but in reality people have reported doing just what you suggested - for example starting the account with $100-150 and then adding more cash if needed. (Prepaying DSC of $12pp/day before the cruise helps to ease the stress on the onboard account.)

No hold on credit cards. They might do an authorization but no hold. Debit cards whether they can be used as a credit card transaction will still get a hold and is usually $300. Can take up to a month to drop off after the cruise is over. I would recommend that you use a credit card - hassle free.

I have used a debit card on 3 NCL cruises. I have heard everyones warning about the hold and how they don't drop off for a month etc...

My experience, 3 times, exactly the same way each time, was..

The exact amount of what I spent on the ship was deducted from my account on the last day of my sailing.

Now whether they had any type of hold during the trip, I have no idea. I never checked my balance while I was away. But coming back, I checked when I got home, and never was another penny held on my acct since the day I returned.

As for cash..yes you can use it. I saw other passengers ahead of me in line use cash. They asked for $100 per passenger for a deposit. I assume as you start to run low, they will shut off your card until you add more to the acct. Im sure there is better info on this.

The one place I highly suggest using a CC (or cash) is on the islands. You really don't want to be using a debit card in another country.

Enjoy your trip!:)

I have used a debit card on 3 NCL cruises. I have heard everyones warning about the hold and how they don't drop off for a month etc...

My experience, 3 times, exactly the same way each time, was..

The exact amount of what I spent on the ship was deducted from my account on the last day of my sailing.

Now whether they had any type of hold during the trip, I have no idea. I never checked my balance while I was away. But coming back, I checked when I got home, and never was another penny held on my acct since the day I returned.

While it's great that you haven't had any problems, there are many people that have - big, big problems. Unless you have plenty of funds on your account or you are sure how the holds are handled at your bank, it's just not worth the risk. You obiviously know that in your case the risk is manageable but by the posts here, that's not how things usually go. :)

There is a reason why NCL has this sentence in their FAQ: "Norwegian does not recommend the use of a debit card as payment for your onboard folio."

Edited by Demonyte

I have a bank card that can be used as a credit card... I would like to pay every other day with cash is this possible?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your bank/credit card...where will you get the cash every other day? The onboard ATMs (another thread) have fees above what you will encounter normally.

Just use the card directly, preferably a credit card. We actually used our debit card on one cruise and it worked without problem.