Budget rental for Port Canaveral -- Questions?

photogineer

So, on my upcoming 3/15 cruise out of PC my friends and I have arranged for a rental car from MCO to our hotel, then drop off the next morning from Budget. We also arranged for a rental car from PC to MCO the day our cruise is back in port, again from Budget. I've never actually rented a car before so I have a few questions:

1. Originally my flight was coming in at 7:45pm and to allow time to get bags and such I booked the rental for 8:30pm pickup, but now my plans have changed and I'm arriving at the airport at 7pm. Assuming I make it to the rental counter by 7:45ish, will they let us have the car early or do we have to kill 45 minutes? It's no big deal, but it would be nice to be on the road a bit sooner!

2. I'm getting conflicting information regarding the tolls and the Budget car regarding transponders, do the cars have them? Is there a charge to use them? I was expecting to have to pay cash, but I'd rather use the transponder, even at a small fee, as long as it's reasonable.

3. How close is the Budget location at the port? Is it walking distance after I drop off the car or is there a shuttle? If there is a shuttle do I need to pay or make prior reservations for it?

4. Assuming there is a shuttle from the rental location, would it make more sense to drop off my two friends closer and return the car solo or should I drag them along for the ride? :)

5. Are there any general purpose tips or gotchas I should watch out for?

Thanks,

Matt

So, on my upcoming 3/15 cruise out of PC my friends and I have arranged for a rental car from MCO to our hotel, then drop off the next morning from Budget. We also arranged for a rental car from PC to MCO the day our cruise is back in port, again from Budget. I've never actually rented a car before so I have a few questions:

1. Originally my flight was coming in at 7:45pm and to allow time to get bags and such I booked the rental for 8:30pm pickup, but now my plans have changed and I'm arriving at the airport at 7pm. Assuming I make it to the rental counter by 7:45ish, will they let us have the car early or do we have to kill 45 minutes? It's no big deal, but it would be nice to be on the road a bit sooner!

2. I'm getting conflicting information regarding the tolls and the Budget car regarding transponders, do the cars have them? Is there a charge to use them? I was expecting to have to pay cash, but I'd rather use the transponder, even at a small fee, as long as it's reasonable.

3. How close is the Budget location at the port? Is it walking distance after I drop off the car or is there a shuttle? If there is a shuttle do I need to pay or make prior reservations for it?

4. Assuming there is a shuttle from the rental location, would it make more sense to drop off my two friends closer and return the car solo or should I drag them along for the ride? :)

5. Are there any general purpose tips or gotchas I should watch out for?

Thanks,

Matt

1. You can pick it up when you get there. It would be worth it to sign up for FastBreak - it doesn't cost anything. With FastBreak, you pick up your luggage, skip the counter, and go to the counter in the garage to pick up your car. If you sign up, you can add it to your reservation.

2. To get from MCO to Cape Canaveral, you only need money to go through the toll booths.

3. & 4. Located about a mile from port and they have a free shuttle - no reservations. I would drop off the car with your friends and all catch the shuttle.

5. The shuttle will be waiting at the end of your cruise. Get off as early as you can because it gets crowded at Budget later in the morning.

1. Originally my flight was coming in at 7:45pm and to allow time to get bags and such I booked the rental for 8:30pm pickup, but now my plans have changed and I'm arriving at the airport at 7pm. Assuming I make it to the rental counter by 7:45ish, will they let us have the car early or do we have to kill 45 minutes? It's no big deal, but it would be nice to be on the road a bit sooner! yes should not be a issue to get it early or even late

2. I'm getting conflicting information regarding the tolls and the Budget car regarding transponders, do the cars have them? Is there a charge to use them? I was expecting to have to pay cash, but I'd rather use the transponder, even at a small fee, as long as it's reasonable. when we did it a few years ago we had the fast pass thing but did not want to us it. It was way more expensive then taking the extra 5 min tops to pay the tolls. We just made sure it was turned off and paid cash at the booths

3. How close is the Budget location at the port? Is it walking distance after I drop off the car or is there a shuttle? If there is a shuttle do I need to pay or make prior reservations for it?You will need to shuttle. No cost just wait til the next one goes out

4. Assuming there is a shuttle from the rental location, would it make more sense to drop off my two friends closer and return the car solo or should I drag them along for the ride? :)YES!! much easier to drop off bags and ppl with the rental car. We did this too. My husband dropped me and the kids off and he went back to drop the car. We proceeded through check in and met him on the ship. I was going to wait in the terminal but it was empty so we boarded. I think it would be a real pain to lug all baggage on a shuttle van

5. Are there any general purpose tips or gotchas I should watch out for?if you are renting post cruise I strongly suggest someone getting off earlier than the others and catching the shuttle and pick up the car then head back to grab everyone else. We did NOT do this and waited FOREVER to get a shuttle we could all 4 fit on with all of our luggage. Not that there where not shuttles there are just so many ppl and all with luggage. It was hot and no good place to wait was a MESS. I said next time we will cab it or someone will get the car and come back. not to mention the long lines of ppl at the rental pick up all waiting full families in tow

Thanks,

Matt

hope this helps! I was nervous too but really worked smoothly!

few rental cars have the transponders anymore ... the companies have set up accounts for 'toll by plate'

here's what Budget charges: $3.95 fee per rental day plus tolls (at posted cash/TOLL-BY-PLATE rates) and there is no 'decision' at the time of renting. IF you incur an electronic charge they apply their fee .... pay the tolls yourself and there should be NO problem/issue.

The longest queues tend to be at the attended lanes - where you can get change or a receipt - exact change lanes seldom have a back up ... but you DO have to slow down while the electronic lanes can fly by. TOTAL time difference from best to worst .... usually under 5 minutes, but sitting in a queue while others FLY BY makes is seem like an hour.

MCO to the port is two $1 tolls ..... save some quarters and you are good to go . . . 16 will cover you both ways and that's less than a roll . . .

location?

PCcarrentals_zps2e118088.jpg

Edited by Capt_BJ