Waterproof camera. Any Suggestions?

Kayla103

Want to get a digital waterproof camera. Every time I think I've made up my mind what to get, I read more about "leakage" and get nervous. I thought I would post hear to see if anyone can give me some advice. Thanks in advance!

the cameras that are being talked about the most here are not true underwater camera IMO, but rather cameras that can get wet and be submerged typically to 33 feet (1 atmosphere of water pressure)

Here's a reasonable priced UNDERWATER camera ... one that would have a hard time leaking as it is completely sealed, and you can't open it .. don't need to open it

sealife-micro-HD-underwater-camera-body.jpg

Capture the tranquil beauty of the undersea world with the first permanently sealed, flood-proof underwater camera. The Micro HD has no doors or openings that could possibly leak. With 16GB of onboard memory and a high capacity internal battery, there's no need for memory cards, batteries, O-rings, or maintenance.

Small and ergonomic, the Micro HD camera is easy to handle underwater, operating with three wide “Piano Key” controls. With colorful 13MP still images, full 1080p HD video and a built-in 140-degree Fisheye Lens, the Micro HD provides everything needed to capture and share your underwater encounters down to 200 feet/60 meters.

and there is a full line of accessories such as u/water flash attachments

http://www.sealife-cameras.com/cameras/micro-hd

available from many online sources and probably at your local dive shop.

I have one of their older models ... works great, takes good pictures on land as well as u/w and is shockproof. Has settings to compensate for u/water color shift . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/micro-hd.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=SL500&gclid=CKisr42SssECFRJp7Aod6xgAwg

out of stock at this site ... so I guess it is not a dream ... would expect to ship in 2 weeks . . your dive shop might have one sitting on the counter .. mine does

the PLUS model is taking pre-orders.

and you can still find the older model, like mine, it too needs no housing and is good to 200 feet and has a built in flash .... I paid under $200 a year ago

pretty good pictures tho . .

P7036408_zps9ca51e9a.jpg

dd .. Roatan .. CocoView resort shore dive

Edited by Capt_BJ

Have you thought about looking for a used camera on ebay? I just bought a Canon Powershot D20 on ebay for $123 including shipping. Although it said "used", everything was in the box and in the plastic wrapping that came from the manufacturer. I have tried it out--and it works great! I figured that I could spend $100 on a cheap camera and get so-so pics or spend $100 on a $500 camera and hopefully get some great shots. Just a thought...not promoting Ebay but just giving you another option :)

BJ, very cool pic. What model is yours since you say it is older?

Steve

SeaLife Mini II

Sealife Mini II Dive Sport Underwater Camera Product Info

The SeaLife Mini II Underwater Sport Camera SL330 is ready for it all and a perfect tool for discovery to depths of 130 feet underwater. The Mini II Camera from SeaLife is theimage ultimate scuba diving camera, built with extremely rugged materials and rubber armoring. If you are seeking a reliable snorkle camera that will be up for any underwater task, the Sea Life Mini II Camera sports a 9.0 megapixel resolution with instant focus, and a 2.4 LCD color display to make taking quality photos underwater a breeze. SeaLife digital cameras are a must have for the adventurous type who wants a quality sports camera that will last.

Specifications for SeaLife Mini II Waterproof Camera SL 330:

Image Sensor: 9.0 mega pixel CMOS image sensor

Color: 24-bit color (RGB)

Image Resolution: 9mp (3472x2604)

Picture File Format: JPEG

Movie Resolution: VGA (640x480) at 30 frames per second

Video File Format: MJPEG (.AVI)

Lens aperture: F3.0

Focal Length: 7.9mm (film equivalent = 45mm)

Focus type: Instant fixed-focus lens

Zoom: 3x Digital zoom

Shutter speed: •Mechanical shutter

•Land: 1/2 to 1/2000 second

•UW mode: 1/60 to 1/2000 second

Flash: Auto, Fill, Off, Red-Eye Reduction

Scene modes: Auto, Snorkel (underwater), Sea, Ext Flash Mode

Shooting modes: Single, SPY

LCD: 2.4" TFT LCD color display

Memory: •Internal: 28 MB (10 hi-res pictures)

•External: SD and SDHC card

•Recommend 8GB SDHC card

EXIF Format: EXIF 2.2

Operating Environment: •PC: Windows 2000 / XP / Vista / 7

•MAC: OS 9.0 and up

CD/Software: International instruction manuals in 5 languages

Language Support: •On-Screen Display: English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Dutch, Turkish, Portuguese (Brazil), Chinese (T-C and S-C)

•Instruction manual: English (printed), German, French, Spanish, Italian, Dutch

Power: AAA Battery x 2

Battery life: Approx. 100 pictures with Alkaline and 500+ pics with Energizer Ultimate

Certification: CE, ROHS, FCC

Weight: 10 oz. (286g) w/strap

Dimensions (LxWxH): 4.5" x 1.8" x 3.0" / (11.4cm x 4.6cm x 7.6cm)

Environmental Specifications:

Depth: Individually depth tested to 133' (40 m)

Buoyancy: Slightly negative

Operating temp: 33 degrees F to 110 degrees F

Storage temp: -20 degrees F to +140 degrees F

Tripod mount: Standard ¼-20 tripod threads

Warranty: 1 year limited warranty

Features of Sealife SL330 Mini 2 Underwater Camera:

•Compact, rugged, easy to-use-the Mini II is ready for adventure

•Depth tested waterproof to 130 feet, rubber armored for a sure grip and shockproof tested up to 6ft/2m. Made for SCUBA divers, snorkelers, boaters, hikers, paddlers and any fun-seeking adventurer.

•Large, wide-spread controls for easy operation and no complicated menus. The Easy Setup on-screen guide ensures the camera is set correctly for great pictures on land or underwater. No more blue pictures with the Dive and Snorkel modes with underwater color booster.

•Let your creativity shine with the SPY mode. SPY mode lets the camera do all the work - It takes continuous pictures at set time intervals. Capture those impossible pictures when you can't get close to the subject.

•As easy to expand as it is to use, for breathtaking panoramic shots, add the optional wide angle lens which allows close up pictures to within 1ft / 30cm and increases the shooting angle by 33% so you can fit everything in the picture. To bring vibrant colorful pictures while diving, add the SeaLife Digital Pro Flash.

if you decide to buy one, check with your local dive shop who is probably a "small business"

in my case I went to my local dive shop and they had the camera at a price above what I could buy on line .... but when I showed them that, they were happy to BEAT that price

so I got a good deal AND supported my local small business!

A couple of year ago, I purchased a snorkel mask with a built in camera. I love it. Takes great photos and video. The best part is, I don't have to carry a camera in the water, because it's built into the mask.

Hey Cathy, have looked into those... what model do you have?

Steve

The brand is Liquid Image (Explorer Series - Extreme Sport Cams). I bought it at a pool supply store, of all places. I also saw it at a dive shop, but it cost less at the pool store. I paid about $75. I probably could have gotten it for less $ online, but I wanted to try it on before buying it.

Hey Cathy, thanks for the additional info... Is this the one you have?

http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Image-305P-XSC-Xtreme-Waterproof/dp/B00KLTG2J8/ref=pd_cp_p_3/188-0337454-6211753

It's the same brand. Looks like it's a little better than the one I have. It looks like they improved the "controls" for taking pics. Mine doesn't have the LCD. If I was in the market for one now, I would definitely consider this one.

Thanks for the insight. How long does the batteries last? I usually take 400 or so while on one snorkel excursion.

I haven't had to change the batteries during an excursion. But, there is a built-in slot to take along extra batteries. I think it would depend on how much video is taken vs still photos.

that's good to hear. I do stills not video. But would be interesting to try. I'll let you know the model I get... Still researching since there are multiple but the 305 looks very promising.

Steve

Lots of choices, that's for sure!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Cathy,

Went and got the LI 305 on Saturday. They recommend lithium batteries which are near impossible to find as rechargeables. But Target has them on sale this week for $8. And according to the user guide, they should last for 20K pictures. Time will tell :)

Played with the camera yesterday to get it all setup and see how if does on land. Seems to have a slight fish-eye view but am wondering how that will look U/W. Also, I found that I need to keep my head still while taking the picture :)

Steve

Hey Cathy,

Went and got the LI 305 on Saturday. They recommend lithium batteries which are near impossible to find as rechargeables. But Target has them on sale this week for $8. And according to the user guide, they should last for 20K pictures. Time will tell :)

Played with the camera yesterday to get it all setup and see how if does on land. Seems to have a slight fish-eye view but am wondering how that will look U/W. Also, I found that I need to keep my head still while taking the picture :)

Steve

Hey Steve -

Congratulations on your new toy! When do you get to try it out in the water? I bet the view will be better underwater than on land. One thing I found is, when snorkeling, I need to keep in mind the camera part is on top of my mask… i had some shots that were 1/2 in/out of the water.