missed ship in progreso

travsmom

What company are you going with? Any reputable tour company does NOT want you to miss the ship!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If I go there,I might go with Auto Progreso. I was just wondering if anyone had ever heard about this happening

I've used Autoprogreso 3 times and have always been back on the ship in plenty of time! Carnival uses Autoprogreso for their tours, so depending on what excursion you book, you'll have people that booked the excursion through AP and Carnival on the same bus.

Auto Progesso is the same company that Carnival uses. You should be just fine. The last time me and my son were in Progesso we took the local bus to Merida and walked around the square, visited the cathedral, some shopping etc and then took the bus back. The round trip bus ride was about $3/person

Auto Progesso is the same company that Carnival uses. You should be just fine. The last time me and my son were in Progesso we took the local bus to Merida and walked around the square, visited the cathedral, some shopping etc and then took the bus back. The round trip bus ride was about $3/person

That sounds great,thanks.

What is your reason? Do you think it is really that bad? I have read a lot of good things about the port.

Progresso is NASTY so is the water. You can't walk around without someone begging you to buy something every 30 seconds.

Progresso is NASTY so is the water. You can't walk around without someone begging you to buy something every 30 seconds.

Yeah, there is truth in this, totally, but it's more of an industrial port than a tourist port. It's "authentic" Mexico, and that's kind of neat to experience. We walked to the beach and never felt in danger or anything. It's just not all commercialized... yet.

That being said, I would hate missing the ship there!!!

Yeah, there is truth in this, totally, but it's more of an industrial port than a tourist port. It's "authentic" Mexico, and that's kind of neat to experience. We walked to the beach and never felt in danger or anything. It's just not all commercialized... yet.

That being said, I would hate missing the ship there!!!

I think it is time to dump Progreso and bring back Calica.

I have to strongly disagree with you. The beaches are beautiful in Progreso. Especially if you travel just outside of the town proper. I believe you have more to worry about in Cozumel then in Progreso. Cozumel you have tons of tourist carrying cash off the ships and tons of the shop owners hassling you to just take a look, they make really good deal. Then when you look you see the same item priced 2 different prices in the store. Yep I would say Cozumel and Progreso rate the same on the begging scale. Both have beautiful beaches if you search them out. ;)

That is the one port i would never want to be stuck in

Actually, if you were to get left in a port, Progresso would be one of the better ones because it's close to airports in Merida and Cancun.

And we loved Progreso you just have to do the right thing there!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree! We loved Progresso. We did take a tour directly through Auto Progresso and everything was fine, they are very reputable. The town is a not a plush resort, but we never felt unsafe and our children loved getting to practice their Spanish.

Next cruise: Carnival Breeze June 2014

What is your reason? Do you think it is really that bad? I have read a lot of good things about the port.

I will admit the beaches are ok but not as good as cozumel. It is the nasty town you have to go through to get to the beaches. The what seemed like a mile long drive over the sea wall to get to the shore was intersting. It was the only time i saw armed men with riffles along the road. That is why i said i wouldn't want to be stuck there.

We used Autoprogresso for a ruins tour of Uxmal and really enjoyed it! It was neat to actually climb up/on/in the ruins. When we visited Tulum a few years later on an AI trip we were disappointed in comparison.

And yes, we got back to the ship in plenty if time! :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That was our experience also. We got off the bus that takes you down the pier and walked around for about an hour. By the time we went BACK to the bus that took us back to where the ship was, we'd been hit up by the same nun five times! It wasn't funny at the time but I laugh at it now.

Usually the people that say a port is nasty are the same ones that a) don't venture beyond the immediate vicinity of the port area, b) don't do any research beforehand about the place they are visiting, c) don't take any excursions, and d) don't feel comfortable visiting a "foreign" port unless they see a pretty Welcome Center with a Señor Frog's and a Starbucks Coffee. :rolleyes:

Progreso, like Belize, offer some of the most unique and authentic experiences in the Western Caribbean. Progreso in particular offers the opportunity to visit one of the 8 Wonders of the Modern World, Chichen Itza, as well as the beautiful and authentic colonial city of Merida. But those looking for the fake tourist experience won't appreciate either.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I will admit the beaches are ok but not as good as cozumel. It is the nasty town you have to go through to get to the beaches. The what seemed like a mile long drive over the sea wall to get to the shore was intersting. It was the only time i saw armed men with riffles along the road. That is why i said i wouldn't want to be stuck there.

The pier is 4 miles long. Considered to be the worlds longest pier. That alone is pretty interesting.

You will see men with rifles all over Mexico they are "Fedarales". There is check points through out the country (Usually every few miles) where you will see their presence made known.

Where ever you go in Mexico (Including Cozumel) you will possibly see trash on the sides of the road and houses falling down or in partial construction. They don't have the beautification laws we have in the US so its common to see a TV in a mud puddle or stray/sickly dogs in the streets. Houses are often in mid state because Mexico does not have home loans there as other countries have. It is all cash transactions. So when a house is falling down if they don't have the cash to fix it it falls to a pile of rubble.

Depending on where you go in Cozumel you are more then likely at a man made beach and not a natural made beach. ;) Its all a matter of opinion and personal choice. I love seeing the different countries and the differences of how they live and why they live that way. Some folks love to cruise and prefer to stay on the ship the entire trip. Again neither is right or wrong just personal choice.