Captain on May 9th crossing?

jimmybean

I'm unable to find the list of captains for 2014 QM2 sailings, although I believe someone posted this a while ago on CC.

I only remember Chris Wells will be exiting on May 9th. A disappointment, since he is our favorite to be in command. We've sailed with him twice: once on the Queen Mary 2 and once on the Queen Elizabeth. We loved his "Here is the Captain" commentary.

Anyone know who will be taking over command of the QM2 on May 9th?

It could be Commodore Rynd (not that I've any evidence for that), given that WB TA is the "10th Anniversary" crossing. But thanks to Happyboating :) , we have the link to the place to look. The commodore has been in command during several of my voyages on QM2 (and one on QE).

I've also been on QM2 with Captain Wells on at least three cruises, I looked for his Blue Duster at the stern when boarding.

I really look forward to seeing Commodore Rynd or Captain Wells as master of the ships I'm on, I like their style of presentation of the noon report, and have noted their professionalism on board :) .

Edited by pepperrn

I find it interesting how we can develop any sort of view of the captain of a ship, and it can be from as limited interaction as the daily update. If I hadn't taken a cruise before I'd be wondering why on earth anyone would care about this. But my first cruise was a TA on QM2 and Paul Wright was in charge and hearing his updates, seeing him around the ship and simply saying hello, at the end of it I thought how nice it would be to sail with him again. (upon which he promptly retired!)

In any case, I've only heard great things about the current Captains/Commodore...looking forward the daily updates of whoever is in charge on May 9!

Rob

Thank you all for your comments.

Rob, you hit the nail on the head! Until one has experienced a great noon commentary or met a particularly personable captain about a ship, one would wonder why this matters. But, it does!

Pepperrn, did you ever sail with Commodore Bernard Warner? He was absolutely delightful. …I remember him sweeping through King's Court with a booming "GOOD MORNING! GOOD MORNING! GOOD MORNING!" cast left and right to both individuals and the room in general. He was frequently out and about, interacting with passengers. His retirement was a huge loss to Cunard.

Thank you for the link, Happyboating. I'll check this for updates. I'm sure this information will surface soon.

Rob, many of us enjoy more interaction with captains than just listening to the noon announcement. There are, of course, the Captain's Cocktail Parties where one might get a minute or two to exchange greetings and longer to see the personality when the captain speaks to the cocktail guests. As one ascends the World Club ladder these opportunities become more frequent and are in smaller and smaller crowds.

There is also, as you say, the opportunity for interaction with a captain around the ship depending on how much the captain ventures into public areas of the ship. My wife and I once enjoyed lunch with Commodore Rynd in the Lido on board QE while anchored at Santorini. He asked to join us because he recognised us from a previous small gathering.

There can also be interaction at CC get-togethers. That's where we first met Commodore Rynd on a QM2 voyage. He came to the boardroom, off the Commodore Club, with his wife and spent 20-30 minutes talking and answering questions from less than 20 CC members. His wife spent even longer with us.

The above is why we would be most happy if Commodore Rynd was in charge on any of our future Cunard voyages.

There is by contrast one of the current captains whose invisibility is a joke even among ship's crews.

... There is by contrast one of the current captains whose invisibility is a joke even among ship's crews.
I think I know exactly who you're writing about; other than receptions which he almost has to attend, I didn't see him around the QM2 once on a WB crossing a couple of years back (however, he's been highly visible recently in photographs on another thread). He even got junior officers to do the noon announcement (or handed over after two sentences) if memory serves. I'd certainly avoid him in future when possible. Edited by pepperrn

Pepperrn, did you ever sail with Commodore Bernard Warner? He was absolutely delightful. …I remember him sweeping through King's Court with a booming "GOOD MORNING! GOOD MORNING! GOOD MORNING!" cast left and right to both individuals and the room in general. He was frequently out and about, interacting with passengers. His retirement was a huge loss to Cunard.
Hi jimmybean, yes, I was lucky enough to find that Commodore Warner was master of QM2 on at least two (maybe three? I'll have to check) of my crossings or cruises. Like you, I was very sad when he announced his retirement. One of my fondest memories of Commodore Warner was at a small private reception held by him early one (formal) evening in G32 whilst QM2 was cruising the Caribbean in 2007. I was watching him as he made his way around the room, seemingly speaking to every group and missing no-one. I was only on my third voyage (and in an inside cabin) and yet he spoke with me as if I was the most important passenger on board. Thank you for bringing back some great memories :) . Edited by pepperrn

Pepperrn, In addition to admiring Commodore Warner's social presence, we had a chance encounter with him in an empty hallway and he stopped and, as you described, conversed with us as if he had time and interest for dialogue with each and every one of his passengers. What a special man!

I emailed Cunard and they answered. Here is the reply regarding May 9th sailing:

Thank you for your enquiry.

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm the Captain will be Captain Oprey.

Kind Regard

Aimee

Cunard Line