First night MDR reservations?

dritan

Hi all

For some reason, I always have to queue or "buffet it" on the first night of a cruise - must be something to do with there being only one show on the first night and everyone wanting to eat around the same time;)

Great to have the search function back again, isn't it:)But despite that I can't find an answer to my question. I know it's not possible to book MDR reservations on line? but after embarkation, is it possible to go up to the desk outside the MDR and book a time for that first night?

I just can't remember.

Thanks

Hi all

For some reason, I always have to queue or "buffet it" on the first night of a cruise - must be something to do with there being only one show on the first night and everyone wanting to eat around the same time;)

Great to have the search function back again, isn't it:)But despite that I can't find an answer to my question. I know it's not possible to book MDR reservations on line? but after embarkation, is it possible to go up to the desk outside the MDR and book a time for that first night?

I just can't remember.

Thanks

Hi, I am confused when you say you cannot make a reservation for the MDR, it seems you are in your booking window. Sign into MyNcl, there will be a link at the top "explore and plan" click on "dining" then on the day/s you wish to make your reservation it will give you options for different dining venues, click your choices and time put your choices in your cart and check out. I just made an online reservation for the MDR just yesterday. Hope this helps, happy cruising!!

Hi, I am confused when you say you cannot make a reservation for the MDR

Reservations for MDRs are only available on selected ships and/or sailings as a test. In general reservations to MDRs are only available to large (at least 6-8 pax) groups and suite or other VIP passengers with concierge access.

For example we are within 45-day window of our Getaway cruise and only see speciality restaurants in MyNCL.

Personally I think that being able to make reservations to MDRs totally waters down the Freestyle concept and hope that it doesn't become a fleetwide option.

We were on Getaway in February, and there was an option to book any of the MDRs on a first come first serve basis. It was noted in the Freestyle daily. You could make reservation with the MDR host, at the Restaurant Reservation Desk or by calling 050.

Edited by punkincc

Has anyone reported being able to prebook the MDR on any ship other than the Breakaway? It isn't an option on the Spirit for us.

I agree, by the way, I hope this doesn't go fleetwide.

I just pre-booked online the first night dinner in the Manhattan room for 4 people on the breakaway yesterday for my March 23 cruise.

I just pre-booked online the first night dinner in the Manhattan room for 4 people on the breakaway yesterday for my March 23 cruise.

Yes, but I was asking if anyone had been able to prebook on a ship other than the Breakaway.

Edited by KeithJenner

How exactly does it "water down" the freestyle concept? The concept is that you do what you want, correct? Some people like to make reservations, some don't. Someone making reservations doesn't change how you cruise so why would you care if it goes fleetwide or not?

How exactly does it "water down" the freestyle concept? The concept is that you do what you want, correct? Some people like to make reservations, some don't. Someone making reservations doesn't change how you cruise so why would you care if it goes fleetwide or not?

My issue is that there are no penalties for no shows, so could result in longer delays for those who don't prebook.

With the speciality restaurants, you are charged if you don't show up, or if you cancel within 24 hours. This means that almost all of the reservations are used.

However, as there is no charge for the MDR, there is no penalty for no shows. Someone posted on here recently that they made reservations on the Breakaway and then decided whether or not to use them (or at least that they considered doing so).

Given how busy the MDR seems to be on that ship, the possibility of further delays being caused by tables being kept open for people with reservations that don't show could have a negative impact on those who want to decide where to eat on the night.

I'm not saying that will happen, but it is a risk which I personally would prefer not to have.

I also believe that more people would feel pressurised into making reservations, in the same way that many currently do about speciality restaurants, despite availability generally being good on the day. If people feel that they need to make reservations before boarding then this does seem to go against the freestyle concept.

Reservations for MDRs are only available on selected ships and/or sailings as a test. In general reservations to MDRs are only available to large (at least 6-8 pax) groups and suite or other VIP passengers with concierge access.

For example we are within 45-day window of our Getaway cruise and only see speciality restaurants in MyNCL.

Personally I think that being able to make reservations to MDRs totally waters down the Freestyle concept and hope that it doesn't become a fleetwide option.

I also think it's a bad idea and probably will be cancelled.Some pax will take advantage of the situation and MDR will probably end up with a bunch of no shows.

Whereas in the specialty restaurants if you are a no show and haven't cancelled you are still charged.

Sorry I noticed that after I put my post up I thought you said who has done it on the breakaway my bad I need to read more closely LOL

No problem.

I also misread your reply at first and thought you were reporting on a different ship. Confusion seems to reign. :)

First night on all of the ships is "lobster night" hence - there is a line....don't think it's a lack of a second show - although maybe.... I still love that pax in suites show that lovely silver card and walk right in - i'd rather not cruise as often and always get that magic card ;) Just my opinion...

First night on all of the ships is "lobster night" hence - there is a line....don't think it's a lack of a second show - although maybe.... I still love that pax in suites show that lovely silver card and walk right in - i'd rather not cruise as often and always get that magic card ;) Just my opinion...

I think Epic, Breakaway and Getaway have all done away with lobster on the first night. It is no longer served in the MDR, but in the buffet later in the week on seafood night. That probably cuts down a great deal on the tradition of everyone heading to MDR first night for the traditional lobster dinner and the resulting line ups.

Silver card? I have been in a suite a couple times and it did not get me to the front of any line!

I think Epic, Breakaway and Getaway have all done away with lobster on the first night. It is no longer served in the MDR, but in the buffet later in the week on seafood night. That probably cuts down a great deal on the tradition of everyone heading to MDR first night for the traditional lobster dinner and the resulting line ups.

Silver card? I have been in a suite a couple times and it did not get me to the front of any line!

Never been on any of the mega ships - but the several times were we on a jewel class and the once we were on the sky - the haven guests are always taken right in without a wait (they...ahem...we.... have a silver roomkey)

Never been on any of the mega ships - but the several times were we on a jewel class and the once we were on the sky - the haven guests are always taken right in without a wait (they...ahem...we.... have a silver roomkey)

Ah, I just had an ordinary suite! Never been a "Havenite"! That's what we called them on the Getaway.:cool:. Actually, I did not see any lines for the MDRs, so not much of a perk.

Ah, I just had an ordinary suite! Never been a "Havenite"! That's what we called them on the Getaway.:cool:. Actually, I did not see any lines for the MDRs, so not much of a perk.

lol - havenite.... he he....we only ever came across a line ONCE in multiple trips and that's when we realized it was a 'perk' DH went up to get a buzzer and had to come back to where i had found a chair to get me!

My issue is that there are no penalties for no shows, so could result in longer delays for those who don't prebook.

With the speciality restaurants, you are charged if you don't show up, or if you cancel within 24 hours. This means that almost all of the reservations are used.

However, as there is no charge for the MDR, there is no penalty for no shows. Someone posted on here recently that they made reservations on the Breakaway and then decided whether or not to use them (or at least that they considered doing so).

Given how busy the MDR seems to be on that ship, the possibility of further delays being caused by tables being kept open for people with reservations that don't show could have a negative impact on those who want to decide where to eat on the night.

I'm not saying that will happen, but it is a risk which I personally would prefer not to have.

I also believe that more people would feel pressurised into making reservations, in the same way that many currently do about speciality restaurants, despite availability generally being good on the day. If people feel that they need to make reservations before boarding then this does seem to go against the freestyle concept.

I, for one, agree 110% with your points.

Thanks for the replies - guess I'll have to take pot luck on the first night. I know from looking at my journal for the Epic cruise a few years ago, we gave up and went to the buffet, but other nights were fine. Same thing had happened on an RCL and a HAL cruise previously - huge waits ( and no lobster;-) )

I guess in the end, it won't matter - we're not likely to starve after all :-)