prom dress - Sawgrass Mills ?

Hi - can anybody advice?

I'm spending 2 days before our March 15th cruise in Fort Lauderdale, and plan on shopping at Sawgrass mills. My Daughter is 17 and will have something like a prom at her school in Finland, and she is eager to find a dress for that purpose.

So the questions are:

Is there a shop at Sawgrass you could suggest us to visit?

And what is the price range for prom dress - what do they cost in Florida - thinking if it is feasible to purchase it there or just leave it for Finland.

Thanks

There are many shops that sell prom dresses at Sawgrass. The place is massive! I'm sorry I can't suggest any because I'm long past the point where my children need them however I've seen them while shopping. Prices are generally very similar to what I'd find at home but I live in Canada. YMMV.

The price depends on the style of prom dress you're looking for and where you buy it. Long dresses tend to be more expensive than long. At our school, they wear long dresses for prom and short dresses for Homecoming.

Dresses at Dillards, for example can run up to $300.

Simple, clean lined, with a little sparkle can be $100-400.

Dresses that are fully beaded, or a designer style like at "Glam" prom store run anywhere from $300-700. There are some that are as high as $1000.

Deb stores have pretty but simple dresses and are usually under $200.

You might be able to find some sales mid March, as most US kids have purchased their dresses already and they'll start going on clearance soon. We have purchased short dresses at Dillards (left over from fall Homecoming season) this time of year for cruises. Sometimes those are $15 !

Edited by CheckersMidwest

I love shopping at Sawgrass. I would look at their website before you arrive and decide wear you want to shop and find those stores. Also, if you stop at information or guest services they sometimes have a coupon book with additional savings. I was just there in February and wish I had spent more time there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I love shopping at Sawgrass. I would look at their website before you arrive and decide wear you want to shop and find those stores. Also, if you stop at information or guest services they sometimes have a coupon book with additional savings. I was just there in February and wish I had spent more time there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is a great suggestion because Sawgrass is a huge discount mall. They have one wing that has mostly just designer stores like Michael Kors, Kate Spade, Armani, etc. Then there are tons and tons of other discount stores. Give yourself a lot of time to look around. My belief is that you'll find something! Happy Hunting!:D

I would go to Macy's and Dillards. I was shopping for a formal, long, beaded gown for our cruise in December. (previously I was wearing my prom dress, thought it was time to get a new beaded gown)

There should be a large selection this time of year

I got this from Macy's for $430 (I think), I think it was in the prom section

13036477815_753ff8b84b.jpg

DSC06655 by porschegrl04, on Flickr

I have found beautiful formal wear in Cache at Sawgrass, so make sure you check that store out. It is near the big Burlington outlet store. Cache is a true "outlet store" & you should beable to get a really good bargin, but it's sometimes hit or miss. Hope she finds something to take back with her. As far as price, my sister's & I have found gowns there for as low as $50./$60. Good luck & let us know if you find something. :)

So excited! Leaving for Florida on Wednesday morning, and our bags are now open on our livingroom floor ready to get closed and fly. It seems we will be flying bags all half empty so we've got plenty of space for nice things to bring back home!

I sure will come back and post a photo if I'm able to find something pleases her. A 17 year old girl is always a bit tricky with clothes and especially with formal wear!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back at office after a great trip to Florida including 3 shopping days and a Oasis cruise. Whoa, I need a vacation to recover!

Anyways - we did not find a dress for my daughter after all. There was only one she would maybe have considered, but after all we decided to leave it (119 usd at macy's) and consider our local options.

Thanks for your kind help - having your wise words to guide me through Dillards and Macys made it easier - even tough we left empty handed in the sense of no dress. But hey - I got 2 suitcases weighing exactly 50lb with new clothes.

• 2 weeks later...