Norwegian Getaway

Is there free wifi anywhere on the boat? What did you do if you have been on this boat for your iPhone, iPad, et al.?

No there isn't if you want to get connected to Internet.

All outside connections go through satellite uplink that costs $0.75/min, $0.55/min or $0.40/min (pay-as-you-go, 100min pkg, 250min pkg - in that order) and requires sign-on with cabin number and password.

As instructed by other poster, you can use iConcierge app on IOS devices and some Android devices to access some onboard info like Freestyle Daily, reservations etc, but to use it to calling or texting onboard has a fee ($7.95/device/cruise) and to use the internet (Whatsapp, Facebook, etc) it's the internet fee per minute as described above.

All outside connections go through satellite uplink that costs $0.75/min, $0.55/min or $0.40/min (pay-as-you-go, 100min pkg, 250min pkg - in that order) and requires sign-on with cabin number and password.

As instructed by other poster, you can use iConcierge app on IOS devices and some Android devices to access some onboard info like Freestyle Daily, reservations etc, but to use it to calling or texting onboard has a fee ($7.95/device/cruise) and to use the internet (Whatsapp, Facebook, etc) it's the internet fee per minute as described above.

Actually, on the Getaway there was no fee for use of the iconcierge for calls/texts to others on board. I was surprised as we had been charged the $7.95 on the Epic even though I only got it to work once! Go figure, it worked great on the Getaway and was free. Others on my sailing reported it was free for them as well.

Actually, on the Getaway there was no fee for use of the iconcierge for calls/texts to others on board. I was surprised as we had been charged the $7.95 on the Epic even though I only got it to work once! Go figure, it worked great on the Getaway and was free. Others on my sailing reported it was free for them as well.

Yes, I'm aware of that but also I'm sure that it is not going to be the case at least on Epic and most likely not on Breakaway either and even on Getaway that is surely temporary as they are probably trying to test the system with bigger usage than they have been able on older two ships. I do not expect the service to be free on our cruise on April 19th but it'll be a nice surprise if it is and I'll give it another chance (was very dissapointted with the system on Epic a year ago).

Edited by Demonyte

Youre on vacation! Leave the phones at home!!!!!

I told hubby this last trip out of San Juan. His service provider told him SJ, PR was included in his plan. He started watching a soccer game on his phone just as we were leaving port. $500 later..the soccer game ended while we were well out into the ocean.

Lesson learned...;)

Can you use your Android or IPhone as a Mobile Hotspot to access the Internet or does this still require the ship satellite uplink? Was thinking we could use the Hotspot for the few times we will need to use the Web.

Can you use your Android or IPhone as a Mobile Hotspot to access the Internet or does this still require the ship satellite uplink? Was thinking we could use the Hotspot for the few times we will need to use the Web.

No cell towers in the middle of the ocean. You can use your phone as a hotspot but it will need to be connected to ships wifi at $.40-$.75 a minute or ship's cellular data at $.0225 a kilobite ($22.50 a meagabite )

Edited by time2cruise1