Managing on-board charges for teens

kenandteri

I can't seem to find the answer to this question anywhere... We are traveling in a couple of weeks on the Sunshine with my teenage daughter and niece. I want them to be able to have some spending ability on the ship, but I would like to limit how much they can spend. We usually use our Carnival mastercard with our ship account (to build up a few more free points)... should we just use cash for their accounts or can we assign a spending limit to their cards?

Excellant question that I can't wait to hear the answer on. We keep going back and forth with allowing the kids charging privileges. It would be great if there was a way to put a limit on each of their sail and sign cards. Hope someone will respond soon. We leave next weekend.

Edited by 5Hawkeyes

I can't seem to find the answer to this question anywhere... We are traveling in a couple of weeks on the Sunshine with my teenage daughter and niece. I want them to be able to have some spending ability on the ship, but I would like to limit how much they can spend. We usually use our Carnival mastercard with our ship account (to build up a few more free points)... should we just use cash for their accounts or can we assign a spending limit to their cards?

Cash would be easiest. Apply it at guest services to their individual cards. Speak to guest services about restrictions on your master card then.

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg

This last cruise I simply told each of my children that I had added $40 to their account and they should come to me when they need more. I had actually not limited their card in any way and they came to me around day 4 to ask if they could have more. I told them I added another $40. It worked really well.

We did not allow our teenage son charging privileges on our last 2 cruises (Triumph & Conquest) but he was still allowed to charge things to the room anyway. We reported it to guest services but it still continued. Just be sure to check your account frequently.

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Tapatalk

Every time I sail I put spending limits on the kids' cards. I do want them to have some freedom to buy things, but also control themselves.

It is simple to do at guest services once you board. If they hit the limit and you want to extend it, just let guest services know. It is really quite quick and painless and something they are used to.

I told my kids they had $10 per day they could spend. They could spend the $70 all at once or spread it out but that was all they got. I went to the Sail and sign kiosk and was able to set the limits right on the machine. My daughter spent $1.50 for the whole week and my son spent $69 in one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just stop by guest services after you board the ship - they cannot do it at check in - and they will take care of it. We usually give our girls $50 each and they have never come close to spending it all :)

Next cruise: Carnival Breeze June 2014

I told my kids they had $10 per day they could spend. They could spend the $70 all at once or spread it out but that was all they got. I went to the Sail and sign kiosk and was able to set the limits right on the machine. My daughter spent $1.50 for the whole week and my son spent $69 in one day.

Why would someone even want to have the spending limit put on the card? What a great learning opportunity for a teenager, which redrose, for example, seized on. Just tell them their limit, and leave the rest to them.

Of course, if the problem is that you can not trust them, you have a lot bigger problems than cruise charges, but let us hope that is not the issue.

Why would someone even want to have the spending limit put on the card? What a great learning opportunity for a teenager, which redrose, for example, seized on. Just tell them their limit, and leave the rest to them.

Of course, if the problem is that you can not trust them, you have a lot bigger problems than cruise charges, but let us hope that is not the issue.

I agree. We sailed 10 times from the time my kids were 4 & 7 until the time they were 16 & 19. I never once put a spending limit on their cards and yet most of our cruises they never charged a dime...their choice. The few times they did they asked me first, even though I didn't require them too. They never spent over $20 each on a cruise. But I trust my kids. They both got credit cards when they started driving at 16 for emergencies and gas. That's exactly what they have used them for unless I gave them permission to get something else with them. IMHO it is good training on making good financial decisions and lessons in earning trust and respect.

To the OP, you can set limits by going to guest services.

I don't know who to give credit to but I learned this on this board...

You can limit your child's, or even your spouse's, limit:)

I put a $50 limit on each on my son's cards. I told them both if they had any money on their card at the end of the week I would give them cash to spend off the ship. Both of them were saving for things so they both wanted cash:) Neither one of them reached their limit and never asked me for more money. :) Woohoo!

My 10 year old spent $35. He bought some candy and lost the rest trying to win something in the arcade.

My 17 year old spent $5 on a frozen drink.

They both were happy and loved cruising!!!

When we went 2 years ago we were able to set a max spending limit on the kids sail cards.

Just go to guest services, they should be able to help you.

I think I gave them a $ 100 limit. This allowed them to buy fruity drinks without having to ask me all the time, and allowed them to budget their money.

I agree. We sailed 10 times from the time my kids were 4 & 7 until the time they were 16 & 19. I never once put a spending limit on their cards and yet most of our cruises they never charged a dime...their choice. The few times they did they asked me first, even though I didn't require them too. They never spent over $20 each on a cruise. But I trust my kids. They both got credit cards when they started driving at 16 for emergencies and gas. That's exactly what they have used them for unless I gave them permission to get something else with them. IMHO it is good training on making good financial decisions and lessons in earning trust and respect.

To the OP, you can set limits by going to guest services.

I totally agree with this. We told our DS (cruising with us since he was 9; now 18) that he could charge $10 a day but if something came up where he wanted to charge more, all he had to do was ask. We never had a problem and he never charged more than the allotted amount without asking permission first. It is a great lesson in the matter of trust and responsibility.:D I never thought of giving the DS his own credit card for emergency gas money and for other emergencies. This is a great idea. Right now the DS is at college and we just put cash onto his bank card. We might have a talk with him and consider your idea. Thanks for sharing Warm Breezes...I like the way you think...I've read other posts of yours.:)

Edited by mousey

This last cruise I simply told each of my children that I had added $40 to their account and they should come to me when they need more. I had actually not limited their card in any way and they came to me around day 4 to ask if they could have more. I told them I added another $40. It worked really well.

This is very similar to how my parents did things with me in terms of spending on board. I'm 18 now so its not necessary anymore but its good to see other parents using this technique too.

This is very similar to how my parents did things with me in terms of spending on board. I'm 18 now so its not necessary anymore but its good to see other parents using this technique too.

CJ,

Did you take those pictures below your signature? If you did they are truly awesome and you have a great talent for photography. Awesome pictures either way!:D Sorry to go off point but I had to know about the pictures! :)

Edited by mousey

On our last family cruise, NCL, my youngest two grandkids, both nine, only charged $7 and $9 total the first three days. I told them to enjoy themselves and spend a little. They did. Total $226 in the arcade in the next three days. Me and my big mouth.