Hampton Inn, Airport, near LAX

Plant

I'm looking to book this hotel for one night pre-cruise (http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/california/hampton-inn-los-angeles-intl-airport-hawthorne-LAXHTHX/index.html).

We need a "free" (tip, please!) shuttle from LAX to the Hampton, and a "free" hotel shuttle from the Hampton back to LAX to catch the Carnival shuttle on our sailing date.

Any opinion's will be appreciated! We've never had a bad stay at a Hampton Hotel, but you never know... !

Thanks,

I just looked at the website and they don't mention free airport shuttle, so you're probably not going to get it. Call the hotel local number and ask. If they don't have it, any of the hotels that are on Century Blvd or Airport Blvd. will have them. Try Sheraton 4 Points LAX, Courtyard by Marriott, LAX South Travelodge (on Sepulveda & Sycamore), Radisson, Super 8. There are fancier, more expensive ones, but you probably don't want that for 1 night.

I'm not sure I'd stay east of the 405 in that part of town...

Look here:

http://my.yapta.com/Hotels-in-Los-Angeles-with-Free-Airport-Shuttle.6588

Or here:

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/hotels-near-lax-airport-shuttle-36697.html

Most of these hotels are within a couple of blocks of LAX on Century Blvd. it is not a great area to stay in if you have any time at all to spend here...largely an office/industrial area with no restaurants other than the ones in the hotels, no place you would walk. If you do want to go out for dinner, there is a regularly scheduled bus service down to Manhattan Beach...or you can get a taxi over to Marina del Rey/Venice Beach. But, at that point, you might as well have stayed elsewhere...

You MIGHT find a hotel with an LAX shuttle either south of LAX in El Segundo or North in Culver City...but check directly with the hotel to make sure they really have one. These areas might be a little nicer or deals a little better...but be wary of anything TOO cheap...there are good and bad areas here...

I generally stay away from anything east of the 405 here...the neighborhood gets very questionable...

My usual advice for just one night is to skip the LAX area entirely...you can likely get a ride with SuperShuttle, Prime Time Shuttle or one of the others for less than the Carnival transfer...and easier than dealing with 40 others on a big bus and their schedule. Have the shuttle bring you directly to Long Beach and stay there...Westin, Hyatt, Renaissance, Hyatt at the Pike...or Maya Doubletree, Residence Inn Downtown or Hilton...getting to the ship from these is easy...and you can do this in the morning on your own schedule...

I'm not sure I'd stay east of the 405 in that part of town...I generally stay away from anything east of the 405 here...the neighborhood gets very questionable......

I'd agree if you planned to go out and walk around, especially at night. If all you want is a convenient place to stay, then you won't have any problems. We have stayed in the area (our favorite is the Sheraton 4 Points since we get free upgrades) at least 10-15 times a year for the last 10 years and never once had any reason to feel uneasy.

I'd agree if you planned to go out and walk around, especially at night. If all you want is a convenient place to stay, then you won't have any problems. We have stayed in the area (our favorite is the Sheraton 4 Points since we get free upgrades) at least 10-15 times a year for the last 10 years and never once had any reason to feel uneasy.

The Four Points LAX is WEST of the 405...

That is NOT the same as where that Hampton Inn is...

There is a second Four Points NEAR LAX in Culver City --that is east of the 405...but, again, that is a totally different neighborhood. I actually stayed in that Culver City Four Points on my wedding night. I would actually recommend staying there...or even nicer, the nearby Doubletree in Culver City...those are close to shopping, movies and restaurants...and not a bad neighborhood...Both of those hotels used to do free LAX shuttles, but I don't think they do anymore.

The area I was referring to that is not good is East of the 405 due east of the airport--Inglewood, Hawthorne, etc.

Neighborhoods can change quite drastically in very short distance.

The Four Points LAX is WEST of the 405...

That is NOT the same as where that Hampton Inn is...

There is a second Four Points NEAR LAX in Culver City --that is east of the 405...but, again, that is a totally different neighborhood. I actually stayed in that Culver City Four Points on my wedding night. I would actually recommend staying there...or even nicer, the nearby Doubletree in Culver City...those are close to shopping, movies and restaurants...and not a bad neighborhood...Both of those hotels used to do free LAX shuttles, but I don't think they do anymore.

The area I was referring to that is not good is East of the 405 due east of the airport--Inglewood, Hawthorne, etc.

Neighborhoods can change quite drastically in very short distance.

So true in many places in LA. There's a "video zone" within two miles of where I live because of drugs. But there's also million dollar homes within two miles from us in another direction.

We stayed at the LAX Marriott after we got married, but that was because we had an early flight the next morning. I wouldn't want to stay in the airport area if not catching an early morning flight. Not a great area. And if going on a cruise, why not spend the night near the port?

Thanks everyone! I thought staying near LAX would be easier and less expensive, but I see that we can book with Super Shuttle from LAX to Long Beach for $17.00 pp, which sounds reasonable to me.

Now, to figure out where to stay in Long Beach :confused:!

Thanks everyone! I thought staying near LAX would be easier and less expensive, but I see that we can book with Super Shuttle from LAX to Long Beach for $17.00 pp, which sounds reasonable to me.

Now, to figure out where to stay in Long Beach :confused:!

Stay in one of these hotels:

"A list": Hyatt, Westin, Renaissance, Hyatt at the Pike...these are really nice hotels in the best part of Long Beach...close to lots of restaurants and shopping.

"B list": Maya Doubletree, Residence Inn Downtown, Hilton...the Hilton is just a little bit longer walk from things than the first group...the Residence Inn and Doubletree are across the channel from most of the restaurants, but on the same side of the channel as the Queen Mary and the Carnival Terminal.

There is a free shuttle bus called the Passport that runs throughout this whole area.

The Doubletree offers a special "Carnival rate"... Search these boards for a code...

You also might find a really good deal on one of the A list by Pricelining Downtown Long Beach and 3.5 stars.

Remember also, Long Beach is a BIG city in and of itself...population over half a million. There are good parts and bad parts...and a lot not real convenient to the pier--even if their web sites say they are...

Don't go wandering off this list because you think you've found a bargain. That bargain is likely a scuzzy dive in a wrong part of town.

Well worth paying a little extra for one of the hotels on my list...

Hi Steve, once again I need to say how much I appreciate your information about LA. We've sailed out of San Pedro several times, but never out of Long Beach (although my Grandmother was from there ;).)

We're just looking for a clean, quiet place to stay from early evening until sail away the next day.

I never book the cheapest hotel :eek:!

Thanks for the list! I'll be using it to book our one night.

F

Steve (and anyone else!), I've checked the Hilton Long Beach at 701 West Ocean Blvd., in Long Beach and it seems to be a good value for our needs.

The basic AARP rate is $116.00, but they have several packages, higher priced, that might be useful.

We'll arrive late evening from LAX and just want to eat, sleep and get to the port the next morning. They offer a park-and-cruise package, but we won't need to park (since we're coming from LAX using Super Shuttle). Can you tell me about how much a taxi would cost from the hotel to the port?

Is there any reason we shouldn't book this hotel?

Thanks so much,

Steve (and anyone else!), I've checked the Hilton Long Beach at 701 West Ocean Blvd., in Long Beach and it seems to be a good value for our needs.

The basic AARP rate is $116.00, but they have several packages, higher priced, that might be useful.

We'll arrive late evening from LAX and just want to eat, sleep and get to the port the next morning. They offer a park-and-cruise package, but we won't need to park (since we're coming from LAX using Super Shuttle). Can you tell me about how much a taxi would cost from the hotel to the port?

Is there any reason we shouldn't book this hotel?

Thanks so much,

The Hilton is a nice hotel. They only things I don't like about it are that I think the Hyatt, Westin, Hyatt at the Pike and Renaissance are a bit nicer and that it's not as close to the shops and restaurants. But it's in a good area and close enough to those things...and, it is on the route of the free Passport bus (I believe they stop at the Hilton but check with the hotel as the route has changed over time). The passport runs from about 5:00 am until midnight and will take you, for free, to the shopping area around the Walmart, to the Aquarium, to Shoreline Village and to the Queen Mary/Carnival terminal...so, some people may even use it to get to the ship for free...though it might not be easy with a lot of luggage...

Otherwise, by taxi, it is only about two miles...so the taxi fare should be minimal...

If you are not overly concerned about anything but a nights sleep and being close to the pier, you might also want to look into the Maya Doubletree--which is walking distance from the pier...or, IIRC, the hotel will shuttle you to the pier for free...It's also a Hilton product and they often have rates lower than the Hilton.

ADD: Checking around the internet, the Maya looks to be $160 on the same dates the Hilton is $116...so $116 is not a bad rate at all...Even a taxi ride won't add all that much to the cost. With taxes, the room actually comes to $133.48. You can get a breakfast package for $139--with tax, $159.95...So, a $26.47 add-on for a hotel buffet breakfast. There are lots of other breakfast options in Long Beach as well...or, if you're like me, you can save your appetite for lunch on the ship...and just eat something light at a Starbucks or a bagel shop.

Does the Passport bus stop at the Renaissance for a pickup to go to shopping?

Yes. There is a stop at 1st and Pine...The Renaissance is between Ocean and 1st at Pine...Just ask the clerk at the desk which direction to turn outside the hotel door...IIRC, you turn right and right at the corner and it stops alongside the Renaissance parking structure.

Of course, it is also just about a 5 or 6 block walk from the Renaissance to the Walmart (5th and Long Beach Blvd.) if you feel up to it. The Renaissance locationis sort of in the center of everything. A lot of Restaurants on that stretch of Pine. The Pike comples is just a couple of blocks south on Pine...and just beyond the Pike are a whole bunch more restaurants along Shoreline (and the Aquarium and Shoreline Village).

Yes. There is a stop at 1st and Pine...The Renaissance is between Ocean and 1st at Pine...Just ask the clerk at the desk which direction to turn outside the hotel door...IIRC, you turn right and right at the corner and it stops alongside the Renaissance parking structure.

Of course, it is also just about a 5 or 6 block walk from the Renaissance to the Walmart (5th and Long Beach Blvd.) if you feel up to it. The Renaissance locationis sort of in the center of everything. A lot of Restaurants on that stretch of Pine. The Pike comples is just a couple of blocks south on Pine...and just beyond the Pike are a whole bunch more restaurants along Shoreline (and the Aquarium and Shoreline Village).

Doesn't sound like the Renaissance near the Airport. I don't know the area at all. We are booked at the Renaissance located near the airport.

Edited by boards

Doesn't sound like the Renaissance near the Airport. I don't know the area at all. We are booked at the Renaissance located near the airport.

I assumed, when you asked about the Renaissance hotel in connection with the Passport bus, that you were talking about the Renaissance Hotel in Long Beach--which is among my "A List" of hotels to stay at for Carnival cruisers spending a pre-cruise in Long Beach. That is a great hotel in a prime location.

Now, OTOH, when you say "near the airport", I will assume you are talking about LAX since there is no Renaissance Hotel near Long Beach Airport. The free Passport bus circulates only around the Downtown Long Beach area. LAX is about 23 miles away.

The Renaissance Hotel at LAX is two blocks north of Century Blvd. (the main East/West corridor that transitions into the LAX terminal loop...This area has virtually NOTHING nearby--except other large hotels along Century, a lot of office and industrial buildings and a lot of very large long term airport parking lots. It is a good 5-6 long blocks' walk on busy trafficked streets along open fields and immense parking lots to get to the nearest commercial businesses of any kind (other than the hotels and rental car agencies on Century)...and I would not walk in this area at night.

I usually recommend this area only for people with an early flight out of LAX the next morning.

If you ARE stuck here, your choices for dinner are the hotel restaurants (not great and, generally, a rip-off...or to take a taxi or bus somewhere else. There is a public bus line that goes from nearby here to Manhattan Beach and El Segundo--where you can find shopping and restaurants...Or you can take a taxi (or brave the walk) to Westchester, along Sepulveda--where you will find a Ralphs' Supermarket and some fast food and a few restaurants and other shops. (The walk would be a couple of blocks north on Airport to Westchester Parkway ("parkway" is a misnomer here)...about 3 blocks to Sepulveda...cross Sepulveda and you will find Ralphs about a block north, In 'n' Out Burger a block south...

You will need transportation of some sort (likely shuttle, limo or taxi) to get to the pier from here--20 miles to the San Pedro pier, 23 miles to the Long Beach pier.

Postscript: BTW, boards, I am trying to figure out, with little luck, what your plans are. Are you actually cruising out of LA or Long Beach? Or are you merely staying overnight at LAX changing planes on your way to somewhere else? It will make a major difference in the advice I would give. And what are you looking to shop for here? If you are just hanging out between flights and killing time, how much time do you have to kill?

Edited by Bruin Steve

We are on a Hal cruise in Sept. and yes I was talking about LAX location. It sounds like our TA maybe should have got us closer to whichever port we are going out of and that I am not sure of. I do not have any documents telling us that. We already booked and have had transfer arrangements made (expensive). We, I guess are stuck. We TA does a very good in making our arrangements, so we never questioned her concerning the hotel or transfers. Thank you for your help and advice.

Edited by boards

We are on a Hal cruise in Sept. and yes I was talking about LAX location. It sounds like our TA maybe should have got us closer to whichever port we are going out of and that I am not sure of. I do not have any documents telling us that. We already booked and have had transfer arrangements made (expensive). We, I guess are stuck. We TA does a very good in making our arrangements, so we never questioned her concerning the hotel or transfers. Thank you for your help and advice.

If it's a HAL cruise out of LA, you are cruising out of the World Cruise Center in San Pedro. This is 20 miles from LAX (airport)...

If you are already cemented ito these arrangements with penalties to cancel, then I guess you are stuck with it...It could be worse. I take it you are not spending much time here. If you are getting in the day before your cruise, at least you have a short hotel shuttle ride to the hotel. If you are there earluye enough in the day and rested enough that you want to go out for dinner and a nice walk around, I'd recommend getting a taxi ride over to Marina del Rey/Venice Beach. A favorite restaurant over there is C & O Tratoria:

http://www.cotrattoria.com/

This is right where Washington Blvd. ends at the beach. You can have a nice walk up the Venice Boardwalk from here (if you have the time)...very scenic--the classic California beach with all the body builders, girls in bikinis on roller skates, street performers, tourist shopping, etc...then have dinner at C & O...then get a taxi back to the hotel (keep the phone number for the taxi company with you as taxis don't just cruise the streets in LA). This would make for a relaxing and interesting late afternoon/evening in LA...

If you don't have that much time or are tired, just eat at the hotel restaurant and get some sleep...

The trip to the San Pedro pier from here is about 20 miles. I hope you didn't pay too much for that transfer. Shuttles are cheap, Car service not that much more expensive. Per SuperShuttle, a shared shuttle van from here, for two, would cost $38 to the pier...a towncar from ExecuCar Express, $61...

My usual advice to those just arriving the afternoon or night before a cruise is to get a shuttle or car directly from LAX, after the flight, to San Pedro and stay at either the Crowne Plaza or the Doubletree. There are lots of good restaurants within a couple of blocks of the Crowne Plaza...and, in the morning, the hotels provide free shuttles to the pier...and you can sleep in late, get up at your leisure...and know you are only minutes from the pier... no worries about logistics or traffic.

I did a little research and your ship (I'm guessing from the HAL website it's the Volendam) isn't on the cruiseship calendar for San Pedro yet (unless it's one of the rare times leaving from Long Beach, but there's only Carnival ships on that calendar, but the berth is available on the 27th, but I can't imagine Holland leaving from there and not San Pedro):

http://www.sanpedrocalendar.com/scripts/calcium40.pl?Op=ShowIt&CalendarName=sanpedrocruiseship&Op=ShowIt&Amount=Month&NavType=Absolute&Type=Block&Date=2014/9/1

It's just unfortunate your TA didn't ask if you wanted to stay close to the port or by LAX (as Steve says, many of us locals would recommend staying in the LAX area only if you have an early morning flight). Maybe the TA thought it would be easier on you just to use the cruise line's transfer, but now he or she stuck you at the airport. I would have advised just taking a shuttle from the airport (Supershuttle wouldn't be too expensive and if you were getting in late at night, it wouldn't be crowded and probably a quicker trip to the port area, even if you decided on the Long Beach Renaissance. The next day, you would just need to tell your driver to take you to the Port of Los Angeles, if that's where your ship is leaving from). Next time you do talk to your TA you may want to pass along this info to him/her so that they are aware that local Angelenos are questioning this plan.

Thank you for your advice. I just hope the driver will know where to go with us, of course by then I should know wish port. That is not as funny as you may think, the last we stayed Los Angeles, the driver from the Holiday Inn Express in Hawthorne did not know which terminal Qantas was in and he wanted to drop us off at the wrong terminal (#2) instead at #3.

Thank you for your advice. I just hope the driver will know where to go with us, of course by then I should know wish port. That is not as funny as you may think, the last we stayed Los Angeles, the driver from the Holiday Inn Express in Hawthorne did not know which terminal Qantas was in and he wanted to drop us off at the wrong terminal (#2) instead at #3.

At least you can easily walk from Terminal 2 to Terminal 3...

The two cruise terminals are on opposite sides of the Los Angeles/Long Beach Harbor--about 6 to 8 miles (or more, depending on route) apart. LA Harbor is a VERY BIG place...MASSIVE. It is the third busiest harbor in the world. Most of it is a commercial shipping port. Almost everything coming across the Pacific from Asia, Australia, et al comes through the Port of Los Angeles--since it is the only major commercial harbor on the West Coast of North America with flat (no major mountain ranges to cross) highway and rail access to points East and in the interior without issues of snow or weather. (Yes, San Diego would have many of the same advantages except it's port is dominated by the military.).

It is virtually definite that your ship will cruise out of San Pedro. The Long Beach Terminal is used almost exclusively by Carnival. Last time I remember any other cruise line docking in Long Beach was in March of last year when Cunard brought the new Queen Elizabeth here and, for the sake of history,m tradition and marketing, wanted to dock it next to the old Queen Mary. The only other times it is done is when the docks in San Pedro are all scheduled to be full and the one in Long Beach is empty--which doesn't happen that often nowadays with Royal Caribbean, which, at one time, had two ships permanently in San Pedro, now has none...and Carnival running a pretty busy schedule out of Long Beach.