Divina - Caribbean - Currency

logan25

Wondering if my onboard account will go through a currency exchange transaction. While I see the onboard currency is US Dollars, I want to avoid a currency exchange, or use a credit card without a transaction fee.

This is a recent thread on the topic

Maybe msc usa will chime in with an update

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1995783

Hi, this has been a frustrating topic to research for me, but want to let you know what little I have found out (I asked the question on the link and had one on travelers cheques). And sorry for this caveat, but please note that all of this information is second hand.

(Note: I just read this post and it has gotten long, so I apologize for the length. I wanted to provide a complete answer, rather than having to hunt and peck or try to figure out a follow up question.)

Based on one answer only from someone on a December Caribbean MSC Divina sailing it appears that your onboard spending will be settled in one transaction (even if there are several holds) through an account that showed up on poster's credit card statement as MSC Divina (Paris) and handled as US$. He/She was charged a 3% fee.

And regarding the posters who will inform you that there are credit cards that don't charge foreign transaction fees, for your purposes, that may be true, but make sure you read your credit card agreements and see if they have phrases like "purchase foreign exchange" and "refund foreign exchange", or "bank foreign exchange" and "customer foreign exchange", etc. In general, if there are two different exchange rates (and guess which one is higher) then you can decide if that is a foreign transaction fee or not. But if it quacks like a duck...

If someone was to use traveler's cheques as their onboard "deposit" (or settlement payment I suppose) there is a fee. However, neither MSC Cruises (USA) on Cruise Critic nor MSC Cruises customer service via phone would provide the % or $ of the fee.

Unfortunately, based on what I have been able to find out, if you want to avoid transaction fees, I think you would have to calculate what your onboard costs, including tip/service charge, and bring/deposit/pay USD cash.

Sorry for the long post. (Also, I think we are on the same cruise. If yes, maybe I'll see you in a couple of weeks).

Cheers! Raoul