Cruising and wheelchairs Grandeur

Can any one tell me how easy it is to get around Grandeur with wheelchair and are the wheelchair cabins a good size.

Have only sailed on Explorer so not sure what to expect.

Thanks for the help.

Dick & Mari

Can't tell you about wheelchairs but I need a scooter. There are very few handicap cabins on Grandeur and I thin they go fast. When we tried to booking one last December for our November cruise there was ony one left. However if you are using a wheelchair and are semi ambiatery you would be able to rent a regular cabin since you would be able to squezze it in the door.

Can any one tell me how easy it is to get around Grandeur with wheelchair and are the wheelchair cabins a good size.

Have only sailed on Explorer so not sure what to expect.

Thanks for the help.

Dick & Mari

The Wheelchair cabins are designed specifically with enough space to accommodate the use of wheelchair. As to the actual size of a particular Grandeur Accessible cabin refer to the deck plans http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/ship/decks/deck/home.do?shipCode=GR

As to how easy to get around the ship using a wheelchair will depend in part on the type of chair

• Is it a powered wheelchair ?
  • Is it a standard wheelchair and the individual is able to operate themselves ?
  • Is it a standard wheelchair and the individual needs someone to push it for them ?
  • Is it a transport wheelchair that has small wheels and requires someone always available to push it ?

it a standard wheelchair and the individual needs someone to push it for them ? Yes

Are the hallways wide enough to get thru with out a problem.(the Explorer is very easy)

How are other public area.

We know this is a much smaller ship then the EX so trying to figure if would could handle the smaller size.

She's tiny, but not that tiny. Lets just say the demographic of Baltimore cruisers is a bit on the older side, so there are LOTS of wheelchairs and scooters on board.

Thanks we will fit right in.

The Wheelchair cabins are designed specifically with enough space to accommodate the use of wheelchair. As to the actual size of a particular Grandeur Accessible cabin refer to the deck plans http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/ship/decks/deck/home.do?shipCode=GR

As to how easy to get around the ship using a wheelchair will depend in part on the type of chair

• Is it a powered wheelchair ?
  • Is it a standard wheelchair and the individual is able to operate themselves ?
  • Is it a standard wheelchair and the individual needs someone to push it for them ?
  • Is it a transport wheelchair that has small wheels and requires someone always available to push it ?

thank you for raising these questions..

Edited by Folk Singer

Thanks we will fit right in.

I just noticed you're from Lakewood. I grew up in Brick, now live in Maryland. If you time it right (rush hour lasts more than an hour here in MD), it will be a really easy drive to the Baltimore pier for you guys!

I just noticed you're from Lakewood. I grew up in Brick, now live in Maryland. If you time it right (rush hour lasts more than an hour here in MD), it will be a really easy drive to the Baltimore pier for you guys!

Traffic should be ok we are leaving on a Saturday.

Take about 3 hours?

My next door neighbor and new beau will be taking their first ever cruise on the Grandeur over Spring Break. Neighbor is a teacher.

I have come to question a few of the travel agents policies including booking this very healthy couple into a handicapped cabin (booked about a year in advance). It's not something I would have done in my days as an agent, especially with fewer of these rooms available.

Having said that, if you manage to snag one I think you will be comfortable. Doorway adequate and room size generous.

Little Grandeur is a lovely ship. A little more quiet than some of royals' bigger ladies but I think you will have a ........ Grand time.

My DW and I were on Grandure last Sept in a HC JS. (DW has MS and uses a power chair.) It was very accessible with roll-in shower, roll-under sink, ramp threshold to balcony, roll-in closet, etc. The only downside was since GOS is an older ship, it did not have an automatic door opener in the cabin - the new ships do. The rest of the ship - all public areas are easily accessed. Assuming you're going to Bermuda - the ferries are accessible as well and if you check the internet, there are wheelchair vans available for tours. Have fun!!

thank you all for your help.

My big concern was the hallways being wide enough.

We have been on a few of the older ships (not just rccl) where the aisle were tight.

Thanks again.

Will be looking to book Winter of 2016.

Dick

• 1 month later...

Does anyone has an experience with booking Grandure for February, Presidents 'week out of Baltimore, MD ? It is 11 months from now. Are we more likely to get better rates if booking some time in December/January or is the ship usually sold out for that week? We need two cabins, one of them balcony and the second one inside or OV to accommodate three people. Thank You.