Belfast rental car question

We will be docking in Belfast in May (Ruby Princess) although we are a little confused about the actual docking position (we recently read they are building or have completed a new cruise ship terminal). Does anyone have advice on the closest rental car location....or is there a facility at the cruise terminal?

Hank

Work has not commenced on the new cruise terminal (beside Titanic Visitors Centre) as a snag has arisen - not to say it won't be open this year, but May looks like unlikely.

Belfast Telegraph Article 31.1.14 - ' ..... the harbour said plans for a new cruise facility had run into problems. "Preliminary testing at the proposed site has revealed potential environmental issues. Further testing has been commissioned and laboratory results are awaited. The harbour will continue to work with Planning Service and the Northern Ireland Environment Agency to progress the project." '

It would appear the only car hire firm to provide a service at the cruise terminal is -

http://www.carhireni.co.uk/car_hire_belfast_ferryport.html

Avis and Budget have offices in the city centre -

http://www.avis.co.uk/CarHire/Europe/United-Kingdom/Northern-Ireland/Belfast/Belfast-Car-Hire

http://www.budgetbelfast.co.uk/locations.html

I'm sure those who have hired a car in Belfast will provide more information of their experience. Enjoy your trip! :)

Edited by ex-Freeporter

Thank you for your very helpful response. We were aware that Europcar delivered cars at the ferry terminal, but you have now confirmed that they also do it at the cruise ship pier. So now we have to decide should we just spend our day walking around Belfast (this will be our first visit to that city) or should we hire a rental car and perhaps drive all the way to Giant's Causeway.

We would appreciate any advice you can add on how to best spend our port day in Belfast.

Hank

I wouldn't like to advise you not to go to the Giant's Causeway which is world famous and the number one reason a lot of visitors come to Northern Ireland! The Antrim Coast Road, along which many tours return to Belfast, is one of the most beautiful drives in the world. http://www.losapos.com/antrim_coast_road

Belfast is a relatively small city and as you will be in port for at least 9 hours you might not find enough to occupy your day. If you decide not to hire a car, you could perhaps do a shorter tour (there are various ones operate from the cruise terminal on the day) and have some time in the city centre as well. https://belfastcitysightseeing.com/

• 4 weeks later...

Need a bit of advice if our Irish friend (or others) are still around. We did contact Europcar about getting a car at the port. They told us they would do a "meet and greet" and transport us to their Belfast City Airport Location to pick-up a car. Upon return we would have to drop the car at the airport and they would then transfer us back to the ship.

So we are wondering if this is our best option, or would do better by simply going to Budget which is located on Victoria Street. We would note that Budget's rentals are somewhat less expensive then Europcar. Can anyone tell me how difficult it would be to get from the cruise ship pier to Victoria Street?

Hank

Hi, We did the same cruise last year and hired a car from Enterprize rent a car city depot at 157 Cromac Street. They picked us up at the ship and drop us back. It was £34 total for the hire and £20 for fuel. We drove to Gaints Cause Way .Tip park at the small pub for free,just have a coffee or something then walk down to the Cause Way.After we went to Bushmills distillery and did the tour which is interesting and they have a nice restaurant for lunch,real Irish stew very nice.We then drove to the Rope Bridge at Carrick a Rede. We then had scenic drive back along the coast with plenty of time to spare.If you need any info for the other ports doing your thing let me know

• 1 month later...

Hi, a taxi from the pier to the centre of Belfast should cost more than about £5 (unless you take a black taxi!) You can't visit Northern Ireland and not go to the Giants Causeway (Carrick-a-Reed and Bushmills Distillery are also a must if you have time). The drive from Belfast takes just over 1hr15minutes or you can go the Scenic route which takes a bit longer (but worth it!). Game of Thrones is also filmed in some places up the coast too.

If you prefer to stay in Belfast City, visit the Titanic Museum and if you enjoy hill walking - the Cavehill overlooks Belfast. You will see it when you are sailing in. This is where an American Fighter plane also crashed during the war and the movie 'Closing The Ring' is based on the true story.

The HoHo bus is also pretty good if you are interested in the history of Belfast and it will take you to Stormont buildings where our government meet.

I hope you enjoy your cruise and if you have any questions - post away :-)

• 1 month later...

We will be docked in Belfast from 0800-2200 on Saturday 13 September. I am looking at the possibility of renting a car (there are 3 adults in party) and driving to Giant's Causeway. Other posts have mentioned visiting the Bushmill distillery and a few other sites. That sounds like a good idea. Questions:

1. Do we have time to do this trip without stressing too much?
  2. How long are we likely to spend at the Giant's Causeway itself?
  3. Big crowds?
  4. Any other tips like the parking at the pub one mentioned earlier in this thread?
  5. Is this still doable if I add the constraint of being back in Belfast by 1700? 1800? I'm cheap and am thinking of getting back in time for our "no additional charge" :rolleyes:dinner on the ship.

My wife is good at driving on the left side of the road and we will have just spent two weeks in England and Scotland prior to our cruise.

Thanks for your assistance and recommendations:),

Greg

Hi, I have a question about rental car insurance in Belfast. We will be arriving on the Ruby Princess in August and are renting a car from Enterprise (the same place tattytours did) as she said that they can pick up/drop off at port. My question if anyone knows how much the car rental insurance is. I have read that many credit cards don't cover Belfast or Ireland so I just wanted to see how much extra I might have to pay for the insurance from Enterprise - it says the total charges include damage waiver (including theft protection), 3rd party liability, road fund license, and vat. And alot of people were recommending to get the super cdw or something like that.

Hi, I have a question about rental car insurance in Belfast. We will be arriving on the Ruby Princess in August and are renting a car from Enterprise (the same place tattytours did) as she said that they can pick up/drop off at port. My question if anyone knows how much the car rental insurance is. I have read that many credit cards don't cover Belfast or Ireland so I just wanted to see how much extra I might have to pay for the insurance from Enterprise - it says the total charges include damage waiver (including theft protection), 3rd party liability, road fund license, and vat. And alot of people were recommending to get the super cdw or something like that.

Hey, usually in the UK insurance is included in the rental price. However - if you were to have an unfortunate event then the excess is £1000. Personally, if I am hiring a car I will always pay the extra (usually about £15-£20) that covers everything.

As with any car rental - check the car over before driving and after upon return to avoid any accusations.